Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting Acrylic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting Acrylic
    Posted: September 10 2008 at 1:55pm
Does anyone have a better recommendation for cutting acrylic instead of a bandsaw or a tablesaw?
Famous last words, "Parks, Recreations & Tourism"
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2008 at 2:05pm
fine tooth blade.  both of those work great if you have a blade that can deal with plastic, the finer tooth the less it rips, or breaks out of the plastic with each tooth and gives a smoother cut.  I'd go the bandsaw since it would cut thinner and finer.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2008 at 2:11pm
Tablesaw with a carbide blade with at least 60 teeth (the more the marrier, ATB with very little to no rake is my fav grind) is going to give a cut that requires no additional edge prep for gluing.  A bandsaw is going to wander around too much.  But the cut from a bandsaw can be cleaned up using a router set in a table and a fence.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2008 at 7:45pm
80 tooth, 5 degree, negative Rake Melamine or Solid surface Blade with alternating bevels is awesome. Other wise my cnc does a great job if its the good stuff.....never can remember which is better. (Table saw is definatly cheaper than having it cnc'd.)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2008 at 9:56pm
tile saw is what i use
out with the large and in with the nano
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2008 at 11:28pm
I didnt think of that!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
stephan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 9:06am
I used my cheap skilsaw with a straight-edged board clamped to the acrylic as a guide to get within ~1/8" and then finished the edge with the same clamped straight edge and a router. The router gave really great edges. I just had to be careful clamping the guide well to make sure i had 90 degree angles.
Stephan Lovstedt
Camarillo, CA
65 Gallon Glass
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 9:14am

I used a cheapo plywood blade when I made my baffles. I ran the blade backwards and went very slowly. I had to find a good balance between not chipping the acrylic and not melting the acrylic. I had to clean the edges afterwards, but it made a nice, straight cut.

PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

80 tooth, 5 degree, negative Rake Melamine or Solid surface Blade with alternating bevels is awesome. Other wise my cnc does a great job if its the good stuff.....never can remember which is better. (Table saw is definatly cheaper than having it cnc'd.)

LOL, I guess I should have mentioned that I wasn't starting up a business, I just wanted to cut about 10 pieces.  But what do you charge??

Thanks for all the great comments.  It sounds like getting a better blade with more teeth will probably solve my problem. 

John Hill, are you using a wet saw with a diamond blade?  I thought about using ours, but when I got it out, the blade was pretty worn out so I didn't try it.  If I knew it was going to work, I would invest the money and go get another blade.

Okay, one more question...

if I want to route a curve on a corner, how do I smooth the surface out so it looks all nice and shiny again?

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 10:34am
Originally posted by PeggySue PeggySue wrote:

Okay, one more question...

if I want to route a curve on a corner, how do I smooth the surface out so it looks all nice and shiny again?

I used a buffing wheel on a Dremel tool.  It worked great.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 11:18am
Great, Thanks!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 11:24am

Round over bit in router followed by 400 grit sand paper then buffed out using a rag wheel in loaded with buffing compound (in a hand drill) is how I do it.

larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 12:54pm
When Corey did that presentation on the calcium reactor it seems like Shane Silcox cut his stuff with a laser saw or something.  That was a nice cut on those flanges.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 1:03pm
yes i use a wet saw with a diamond blade just try a scrap peice and see if your blade will work
out with the large and in with the nano
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 1:06pm
Another method is to use a torch to melt the edge.  I've not had very good luck doing this with a "plumbers" propane torch (I get bubbles and crazing).  But if you have an acetylene torch it'd probably work fine.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 6:18pm
Yeah, if you have a laser cutter, use that Smile.  However, the cuts weren't 90 degrees due to the heat of the laser, it seems.
PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by john hill john hill wrote:

yes i use a wet saw with a diamond blade just try a scrap peice and see if your blade will work

It worked great, thanks!  The old blade was melting the acrylic a little bit so I broke down and bought a new blade (a whooping $12) and now the edges look really good.  Plus, it's a lot safer than the bandsaw was. 

I found one more way to cut acrylic that work really well and I bet none of you guys have tried this one.  (this was before I tried the wetsaw.)  When I was at Regional Plastic picking up the acrylic, I just said, "how much does it cost to have you cut 8 pieces for me?"  It worked great!!  Perfect cuts, relatively fast and no mess. Big%20smile

bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 3:47pm
looks like I should send my wife there when I need acrylic. LOL
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 3:57pm
Where's the fun in having someone else cut it for you?  Tongue
PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Where's the fun in having someone else cut it for you?  Tongue

You are right, it does take some fun out of it.  But putting it together was a lot more fun...the pieces were cut straight....imagine that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic