Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Members Tank Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2003 at 9:15am

Very nice.

It has a pleasant, soothing appearance.

Galaxia are cool aren't they! (below the magnet algae scraper in the photo).   and is that a Frogspawn? It's just the right size for my 10 gal. tank. Where did you get it?

John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2003 at 9:24am

Dave,

Your tank looks nice.  What about the other one?  The galaxia looks real nice, I'm glad you got it. Nnow I know it is in a good home.  I have another baby galaxia coming right a long.

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2003 at 12:24pm

Thanks Mark and John!

Mark - yeah galaxia rule!  I love to watch if feed.  Yes that is a frogspawn I got from MSM for $20 I think.  There are buds around the current head but it is very slow growing hopefully it will grow faster when I add more lights.  And maybe I should start feeding it more directly.  If I could get it to grow a new head I would be happy to frag it for you.

John - The 7 gallon minibow is at work, I brought my camera today so I'll have to take some pics to post later.  Very cool, Danny will be begging you for that one.  I had my galaxia in his tank for a while when I moved tanks and he almost didn't give it back.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 6:37pm
Geez , I miss my computer nerd son. He helps me via the computer to pretend like I know what I'm doing! I've been trying to build a web page of our tank so I can show pics like you guys do. This is what I got thus far....home.earthlink.net/~rapplegart     If anybody can help me with computer lingo, can you let me know? Like, if you shoot the pics in "macro" the pic is cooler, but then does it take longer to load on the page? And if I only get 10mb, how do you know how many pics that is? Ryan won't be available 'till Sept.......Suzy
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 6:38pm
And how do you get the address to post so you can just click on it.....
  • null
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 6:40pm
  • null
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 7:23pm

Suzy,

Nice start of a website there!

The macro setting on your camera only allows it to focus closer it does not change the size of the pictures.  In the menu you can set the picture size to Large, Medium, or Small and 3 compression settings - these are what affects the size of the files and how long it would take to download the pictures.  If you right-click on the file and go to properties it will tell you the size of your picture.  The one you have here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rapplegart/_uimages/IMG_0992.JPG

Is about 740K, this means you could post about 14 pictures of this size.

To add an image to your post here click the add picture button and type in the location of the file.  If you wanted to post the picture I used as an example you would type in the whole line above.

HTH,

Dave

mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 7:45pm

The pictures are great everyone! As a newbie with the brain power of a knat I sure would like to read details about everyones tanks, the equipment and critters.

Mike
Layton, Ut.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 8:05pm

Suzy, the only thing I might add to Sarnack's post is it's very easy to reduce the size of your pictures using almost any photo manipulation software (what came with your camera?).  Check out these two photos from your web page (looks good, by the way).

This one is your original (774 kb): http://home.earthlink.net/~rapplegart/_uimages/IMG_1008.JPG

Here's the same picture compressed further (151 kb): http://www.xmission.com/~jfinch/IMG_1008.jpg

To me, the smaller more compressed picture isn't enough different to justify the larger picture size.  You'll be able to fit more pictures on your web page (70 rather then 14!).

And since this post is for tank pictures, here's my tank 10 minutes ago:

Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 8:38pm

I couldn't resist putting another picture up...

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 9:02pm
Flaz - Beautiful Tank!  How do your Hippo and Yellow Tang do together?  Also, is that an Anthias at the top of the tank?
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 9:18pm

Thanks.  Yep, it's an Anthias.  The Hippo and Yellow have been a really good combination.  I had the Yellow for about 2 years before adding the Hippo and was really nervous to add it but they get along just fine.  The Yellow will act tough once in a while but the Hippo totally ignores it and they feed side by side all the time.  I think their shape and colors are different enough to keep the hostilities down...

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 9:18pm

Jon,

I knew I forgot to mention something... I use XP power toys to resize my pics cause it is fast.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Great tank!  What is the red "thingy"?  I'd love to know more about your tank; lights, circulation, how long set up, pretty much everything

Dave

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 9:33pm

Jon,

Now that I look at it I see you didn't just resize the picture, did you?  What program did you use to change the compression?

Dave

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 9:33pm
Flaz - I've been thinking of adding that exact same combination.  Good to know it is doing well for you.  I think it was you asking about a Foxface?  I've checked around locally and can only find Fiji and a Metallic Foxface.  The cheaper of the two being around $95.  I don't know if I really want to spend that much right now on one.  MarineDepotlive.com  http://store.yahoo.com/marinedepotlive/663494.html has the normal Foxface Lo for $17.  Thinking I might do that.  If your interested in getting one as well, maybe we could split shipping.  I've never done delivery on fish though.  Not sure what to think of it?
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 9:44pm

rfoote-

$17 sounds great (don't know I'd ever be willing to pay $95 for a fish!).  I wouldn't mind going in on a shipment but I'm still not sure that the Foxface is the best solution for my tank.  My main reason in wanting one is to help rid my tank of bubble algae (valonia).  J. Sprung listed the Lo and Siganus Rabbitfishes as good eaters of valonia and hair algea in his new Algae guide.  If a Rabbitfish will get along with my tangs then I'd give it a try.  Have you seen any information on how they live with other fish?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 10:11pm

Sarnack,

I use Photoshop, but every photo editing program I've ever used has an option when saving a .jpg where the "quality" can be adjusted (I just checked, the program that came with my digital camera and the software with my scanner both have this option).  Suzy's picture was saved using Photoshop with a quality of 6 (out of ten).  To be honest, even at a quality of 1, 2 or 3 there is very little loss, to my eyes, but huge savings in file size.  Since my camera kinda sucks, I tend to keep my photos at 640x480 too.

With regard to my tank:  the red thingy is a ball sponge, cheap and adds nice color.  It's a 20 gallon with diy overflow.  5 gallon sump with diy skimmer.  ~300 gph sump to tank circulation that splits to two different nozzles (see pic) and a 160 gph powerhead in tank.  250 watt MH with 150 watts VHO atinics (fan needed :) ).  No dsb, only about 1 inch aragonite.  It's got a combination of softies and stonies and a small clam.  I add B-Ionic for alk/Ca addition.  About once a month I'll add a little iodine.  I'm not yet sold on other additives.  4 fish, yellow tang, fiji damsel, occ. clown and a six line wrasse.  I feed about 1/8 of a square of brine shrimp plus with an equal amount of mysis shrimp in about 1/4 cup of phyto per day (once a week I'll feed flake instead of the frozen).  It's been set up for only 5 months.  Can't think of anything else.

Sarnack, I like the look of your tank too.  The calerpa mixed throughout the tank looks nice!  And I like the way you've curved the live rock to make a sort of grotto in the middle... I have little artistic ability, my tanks always look like I just dumped the rock in and let it lay where it drops :).  I move corals around more often then my wife rearanges the furnature :)

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 10:13pm
I've read that they are fairly timid.  I'm not sure how reef safe they are though.  I've heard some people say they might nibble on polpys on so on.
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 11:26pm

Jon,

Nice color indeed!  Anything red is good in my book.  At first glance I thought it may have been a red brain but I didnt think that it would be in the shade then.  I have been wanting to turn my 25 gallon into a clown/anemone tank for a while and after seeing your tank it makes the urges that much worse.  What are you running in the sump? (just full of questions arent I?)  Are you going to have a bigger tank for when the Tang grows up?

Thanks, the rock work looked better before I moved the tank... ohhh well, some day I'll get bored enough to play with it some more.  And I was going to say how I loved your rock work!  Is there some kind of support structure? 

Dave

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 12:02am

Jon,

I forgot... As for the calerpa, I wish I would have never put it in there.  It gets really old pulling it out by the fist fulls every few weeks.  I need a fish that eats the stuff so I don't have to do the work.

I must be getting tired, now I see that you run just a skimmer in the sump... my bad.

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic