Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Members Tank Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 12:58am

Dave,

The Caulerpa is now an integral part of your filtration and harvesting it makes this an Algae Scrubber filtration component!

Most Yellow Tangs (not all) will decimate a tank of Caulerpa, but be careful because when the algae scrubbing filtration is removed, either another algae will grow to take the place of the caulerpa or some other method of exporting nutrients will need to be incorporated into the system.

Yellow Tangs are not the only Tangs that will eat caulerpa. Scopus, Purple, and sometimes Sailfin Tangs will also eat caulerpa. I've had a Tang related to the Naso that loved Valonia. It was a Blue Spot Tang sold to me as a juvenile Blonde Naso.

Fish will only grow as large as the food available to them and most of the time will not reach maximum size in a smaller tank, so a Tang in your tank would look good for a long time. Personally though, I like your tank just the way it is.

Next time you are going to harvest Caulerpa, let us know here. Some of the newer hobbyists will be happy to take it.

Mark

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 6:28am

I have tons of Caulerpa if anyone ever wants to come by and get some.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 7:41am
Ok, you guys are "talking" Pc. We have a Mac. I can't "right click" anything 'cause our stinkin mouse ain't got no right or left click! Only click! My son can interpret PC for me, only he's hanging out with a bunch of really stinky men in the middle east. (They only get to shower every third day! Good thing they got m-16s!) I did figure out how to change the pixels.I'll divide them in half and try that.Hey,how did Bill and Huey get in your tank? And Dr Patista and Louie in another guys tank! Check out my web page 2.Proof that assorted tangs can live together happily!Suzy
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:44am
Quote: Originally posted by Sarnack on 15 April 2003

Nice color indeed!  Anything red is good in my book.  At first glance I thought it may have been a red brain but I didnt think that it would be in the shade then.  I have been wanting to turn my 25 gallon into a clown/anemone tank for a while and after seeing your tank it makes the urges that much worse.  What are you running in the sump? (just full of questions arent I?)  Are you going to have a bigger tank for when the Tang grows up?

Thanks, the rock work looked better before I moved the tank... ohhh well, some day I'll get bored enough to play with it some more.  And I was going to say how I loved your rock work!  Is there some kind of support structure? 

My sump has a skimmer, two pumps, a make-up water float switch (connected to a pump and piped into the sump) and a sock.  The sock is to coalesce bubbles from the return line and skimmer.  I've tried removing the sock, but too many bubbles.  Next on my to do list is move the skimmer out of the sump and install baffles to see if I can stop the bubbles.  I forgot to mention before, I've installed my heater in the tank overflow (it was too long for the sump and I didn't want to stick it in the tank).  I also have a "bunch" of calerpa in the overflow.  My overflow level stays about 1 inch below tank level using a durso type overflow pipe.

I am planning to move into a larger tank.  Regarding my rockwork:  I take small pieces (size of baseball, but flat) and push into the sand.  These form the foundation of the rest of the reef.  Since I've only got 1 inch of sand, the rocks go clear to the bottom of the tank.  I then position the remaining rock on these foundation pieces always maintaining contact with at least three points on each rock.  This allows for a lot of open space under the reef, good circulation and stablity.  If you have the right shaped rocks there is little concern for collapse.  If all my rocks were round, I'm not sure what I'd do?  Also, one might want to use larger "foundation" pieces in a dsb to keep digging fish from undermining the reef *shrug*.  But, like I said before, I'm usually more impressed by other peoples rock work then mine :)

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:50am
Quote: Originally posted by Mark Peterson on 15 April 2003

Fish will only grow as large as the food available to them and most of the time will not reach maximum size in a smaller tank, so a Tang in your tank would look good for a long time. Personally though, I like your tank just the way it is.

hmmm, that hasn't been my experience.  An underfed fish will remain small, but not healthy.  A properly fed (healthy)  fish will grow to normal size regardless of tank size.  This is my experience in freshwater fish...maybe saltwater is different, but I doubt it.

...just my observations

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:55am
Hey, It worked !Thanks guys!! You rock the WMAS world! Now our site has 3 pages!! Don't look 'till tonight ,though. Page1 & 2 will take forever to load up. The have a lot o' pixels! Suzy
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 9:06am

Suzy,

What photo editing program do you have on your mac?  Most digital cameras come with image editing software.  I haven't used a mac in 6 yrs, so the programs I remember are probably "old school" by now.  I'll bet the new Mac OS has image editing capabilities built into it.  Anyway, to reduce the file size of a photo you can either make the change in the camera (see Sarnacks post) or change it afterwords using the image editing software.  Within the software you can either reduce the total pixel count (actual viewable size of picture) or use more file compression (same size picture, smaller file size and some loss of quality) or do both.  If you were able to change the pixel "size" using the program you have, look around in the "save" window for a slide bar or box where you can change the "quality" or "compression" of the photo.

If you still end up with large file sizes, we may need to talk about/change image dpi.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 9:27am

Jon,

IMO marine fish are different because there is usually something for them to eat in the tank itself. When feeding is minimul, they find stuff they can survive on and just like the Japanese people of years past they don't reach full size but they are healthy. In fact in many cases fish can be healthier when they have to work to eat and the food they find is natural rather than prepared.

Mark

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 11:27am

Suzy,

I know a bit about Macs too, we have about 60 here at work, so if you need help you can give me a call. PM me if you want my phone number.

To find the size of a file on a Mac you click on the file to select it, then press Command and I to "get info" (same as going to Edit, Get Info on the file menu)

If you are using OSX you can get iPhoto for free and it RULES!  If you are on 8.x or 9.x and need photoshop let me know and I'll see what I can find.

Dave

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 11:42am

Mark,

I like the benefits of the algae but not the drawback of it growing everywhere and having to pull it out manually.  If I were to do it again I would have converted the sump in the back to a fuge and kept the algae out of the main display part of the tank.  If I had a small fish or other creature that would constantly prune it for me I would be happy. (maybe I could fit a dwarf underwater goat in there)

Usually when I harvest I take it up to Danny for his tangs to eat.  But next time I will harvest right before the meeting and bring it to share.

Dave

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 2:17pm
Ok, Guys. Talk to me like I'm blonde. If I reduce the pixels to 640 x 480, do I still have to compress it? Dave, I got the new fansy-pansy Jaguar 10. I've even updated it a few times. Got the iPhoto & iMovie. Command i is cool! Now I know how many pixels and how many mbs! How many mbs (or was it kbs) or pixels should a pic be to be on a webpage? The earthlink page I'm making only lets me have 10 mbs .....Suzy
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 3:16pm

Suzy,  on my camera, pictures taken at 640x480 and medium quality are 150 kb in size.  I can go into photoshop and "resave" it using more compression down to 50 - 70 kb in size without effecting the quality (at least to my eyes).  640x480 is, imo, a good size for a bulletin board like this, but you might want a few bigger pictures on your web site (1600x1200) but compresses them down as I did in yesterday's post.  What I usually do is take the pictures at the largest resolution/quality my camera will do, then resize/compress using the computer software.  I then store the "large" photo on my hard drive or cd.  The "large" photo is what I would use if I were to print the photo (after adjusting the dpi up).  You should make the pictures on a web site as small (file size, not pixel size) as you feel comfortable doing...eventually as you keep compressing the file the quality will suffer, at that point you've gone too far.

(I thought Mac's were suposed to do this for you without any operator input )

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 3:57pm
Okay, I changed the pixels to 640 x 4ooish. I can't find anything about compression or resizing or squishing it, though. Maybe this Mac did it without my input? Like I would know! Anyway, the page loads lots quicker,now. Thanks!! Suzy
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 4:01pm
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 4:03pm

I see a big red X.  Am I doing anything wrong?

John

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 4:06pm
CRAP! All I got was a stinki' little square inside a sguare! Now what am I doing wrong? Go to the little tree thing,type in the address really carefully !! /// & _ _ _
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 4:35pm

Suzy,   It looks like you're trying to reference this address:

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/home.earthlink.net/~rapplegart/_uimages/IMG_0992.jpg

Which doesn't exist.  Try it without the www.utahreefs.com/forum part.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 4:41pm
Oh one other tip.  When you type the address in you'll see the picture in your post, before you post it.  That way you'll know you typed it correctly.  If you see a little box with an X in it, you probably typed it wrong (it happens to my all the time...I can't spell).
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 4:43pm
Quote: Originally posted by Suzy on 15 April 2003
Ok, Guys. Talk to me like I'm blonde. *snip* .....Suzy

How yu doo in?  Come here often?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 5:25pm
Geez! I ain't typing that part in! Will you try it for me? I went to my web page (which is at    home.earthlink.net/~rapplegart   if anyone wants to see the coolest tank in Riverton/ Don't tell whats his name down the street/ he thinks his tank is the coolest! ). Then click on a picture and the address comes up http://home.earthlink.net/~rapplegart/_uimages/IMG_0992.jpg Thats what I typed in when I clicked on the tree button....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic