Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halimeda Propagation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halimeda Propagation
    Posted: September 11 2008 at 10:54pm
Hi reefers,

Please don't take offense at this BUT I am a Teacher and also a Horticulturist both by university degrees.  I get frustrated when we say "fragment"Thumbs%20Down then talk about a plant.

With my horticulture background I know that I can take a "cutting" of my halimeda to propagate it.  My question is--- how do I attach it to anything.Geek

I would love your recommendations on how to "propagate" my halimeda.

Hopefully no offense was taken.  I am not only a fish geek but a plant geek as well.

Ryan
Nobody is perfect! I'm a nobody!
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 11:02pm
Oh ya, I'm real offended .... LOL

Sculpin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2008 at 11:56pm
LOL---I can say that every hobby develops its own vocabulary-- boy do I know that.  But when vocabulary from two hobbies start to change the meanings---it is frustrating.  LOL

Glad to hear it Sculpin!  (Just kidding)

But seriously how do I frag, I mean, propagate my Halimeda. (insert chuckle)

Ryan
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 12:33am
I would think that you could affix it to a rock either with "reef safe" epoxy putty or good old Crazy glue... similar to the way you would attached a calcium-based hard coral fragment to a rock.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 10:20am
Some Halimeda will attach if it's kept stationary next to a rock. I've placed it in the sand before and when removed sometime later (many weeks) it has grown holdfasts to the sand. This could then be superglued to a rock with the confidence that it would stay attached. To give it room to place it's holdfasts, I would definitely use a small dab of superglue rather than a mound of epoxy.Big%20smile

I can't say for the world, but around these parts the history of coral farming vocabulary went something like this:

We first learned in January 1996 from LeRoy Headlee of Boise Idaho how to "propagate" the soft leather coral Sarcophyton.  http://www.garf.org
Then as the hobby took off because of advances in our knowledge of filtration, we could began to see SPS actually surviving and even growingShocked No more bleached coral fragments for decoration!Thumbs%20Up
Probably because of how SPS corals break off as fragments the term fragmentation was used.
It seems to me that then fragmentation was too big a word and "fragging" sounded so much better than "propping".

It would not surprise me if the WMAS was one of the first clubs to have a "Frag Fest" (actually we called it a Coral Propagation Seminar) because I believe we did our first one somewhere around 1997 when we were meeting at the U of U. I'm not positive of the year, but I believe Adam may have just graduated from High School at the time and was WMAS Vice President.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 12 2008 at 10:28am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 12:36pm
In my other hobby we have terms like "mouse ears" which is not the proper term.  Would you go nuts if somebody called you up all excited over their "mouse ears"?  Ha ha.  I understand that lingo lingers and that is how a vocabulary is created.  Especially over the internet.  I am not "offended"--I just want at least my little post to be said correctly in "horticutural terms", since that is my specialty!  Ha ha-  Mark that is interesting.

COOL--I will FRAG my halimeda today!  ha ha

Ryan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic