Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moorish Idols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 5:26pm
I have a feeling (that is all it is), that Moorish Idols often die from bad acclimation procedures.  I think they may be more prone to ammonia gill damage and therefore die within a few week/days.  (this is all total speculation)

I have had a couple of good experience with Idol's.  It seems if they live for 6-8 weeks then they usually do pretty well after that.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 7:25pm
I have had 2 Moorish Idols... the first I had for approx 4 years until I moved to UT and sold it along with my setup (it was alive and well when I sold it)... the second for about 5 weeks in 2003. For the first Idol I took the advice of a guy on RC (also from Long Island) named Paul who kept an Idol for 7 or 8 years; he recommended feedings of banana (yes, you read that correctly, banana) and live mussels served "on the half shell", in addition to more traditional marine foods... to feed banana, cut off maybe an inch thick piece off a semi-ripe banana and freeze it overnight. Slice off as thin a slice as you can (like a potato chip) and place it in some warm water to defrost. For a smaller Idol, cut that "chip" in half. Pour the water containing the banana into the tank. The mussels, place one on the sandbed and remove after 10 minutes, even if some is left. (Many of your other fish will eat it too). Paul also fed his Idol an orange sponge that he collected off of a few boat piers; I tried that a few times but it was not part of my Idols usual food regimen - plus the part of LI I lived on it wasn't nearly as common... My Idol also liked Spectrum pellets, frozen squid, picking off the Live Rock - and that's pretty much it. Tried clams, didn't like that. Would "sample" some of the other foods that went into the tank, but not with any regularity or heavy feeding...

Second Idol basically never ate enough and starved to death... would "sample" live Brine, pick at the LR, and I saw it eat a few pellets once... but otherwise, ignored everything else I tried. No luck at all with banana or mussels, clams, squid, etc. It was very frustrating because although not "fat" when I got it, it was healthy-looking as far as no pinched belly or gaunt look. Near the end it looked emaciated and you could see it getting weaker by the day - ribs sticking out, heavy respiration, etc. Very frustrating. And partly my fault, as with this fish I bought it even though it wouldn't eat in the LFS tank - I guess I just got cocky because I had had good luck with the first one and thought I had the problem solved... Dead

In both cases the setups were basically FOWLRs with a few hardy soft corals and inverts thrown in. Water conditions were stable but not "pristine" as you might expect in a Reef Aquarium... First guy was in with a Panther Grouper, Niger Trigger, Russell Lionfish, and a Porcupine Puffer. Second was in with a Picasso Trigger, Undulated Trigger, Yellow Tang, Spotted Grouper, and a juvi Queen Angel.  Both times the tank was a 125g. Never saw the Idol bother any of the crabs / snails / urchins or Leather corals / mushrooms that I had in either tank.

So, with the 225g now, it is tempting to try again, even if it meant a healthy, surviving Idol would mean nibbling at some of my current crop of corals and perhaps clams... I think if I saw one in a LFS that was healthy looking, reasonably priced, and would eat heartily in the store tank I might give it another shot. Definitely a challenge, though...Confused

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 7:28pm
Great article! Thanks for taking the time to write it Adam.

Mike

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Connie Connie wrote:

I had an idol for two years. Ate right out of my hands. Its only when I gave it to a fellow hobbist that it died.

I fed home made food and often Shocked, was running two wave 2K's, and had a 210 with tons of rock and a healthy sump.... Who knows.

Im glad I had success, its an amazing fish.

Thanks for the info Adam, that was fun to read for someone who has been one of the lucky.. 

I realize that names have been withheld to protect the guilty, but I'll fess up.  It was an awesome fish and Connie did a great job of taking care of it.  It lived in my tank for almost 3 months until the tank crashed.  The unfortunate part is that the Idol had nothing to do with the crash, it was just a poor unfortunate bystander.  (I mean byswimmer.)
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 8:17pm
By the way Connie, which corals was your Idol Picking at that prompted you to get it out of the tank?  SPS? LPS? or something else?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 9:01am
Bob- 4 years!  That is great.  Beyond great actually. 
And thanks for the input on your setups.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 9:21am
 This is very interesting to see all these reports of how well these fish do in home aquariums. I have been misled over the past decade with all the caveats on other forums telling us how difficult they are. It's great to see how many people here are keeping them so successfully. I settled for a Heniocus butterfly (sorry about the butchered spelling of that funky latin name) because I thought I couldn't have one! Anyone seen one of these funky fish around in the fish store lately? I have room for one more fish!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 10:01am
Suzy, Give Shawn a call, he usually has some real nice Idols.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 8:13am
Good read Adam thanks for the time spent.
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 12:41pm
I think this just goes to show how much you can learn about something if you research it, study it out, and plan well before you buy something and put it in your tank. It doesn't mean it will always go well but it DOES mean that your chances are a lot higher to give the fish you take into your care a proper and healthy chance at  long aquarium life.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
idahreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 2:37pm
I kept 3 of them alive for over 5 years, only died when I had to move & gave them to a fellow fish lover, they do get very tame & will eat out of your hands, I started them off by feeding them opened clams I got from the local grocery store, then they just ate everything like all the other fish did, this was along time ago before new life spectrum, it was over 20 years ago long before the reef craze & those bland looking dead coral skeleton systems, they were in with large angels, tangs, eels & triggers, it was an odell 220 gal, if anyone remembers odell tanks, who knows why they were with me that long, some of the angels were also hard to keep species, like the rock beauty, emperor & even an achillis tang! I still look at my old photo's of them & wonder why they lived, I just thought they were suppose to, however I couldn't keep a powder blue to save my life! now I have one who is happy, healthy & oh so mean!
martin
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 6:10pm
You kept three of them alive for over 5 years!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wow, I can't believe that.  Beyond wonderful. 

Imagine, and some ignorant people out there still think they are impossible.  Some people like to spread bad information.  Yet another great example of someone showing what can be done (even 20 years ago). 

Adam
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 6:33pm
Well, I wouldn't say "impossible" - but I'd still recommend against most people trying them...

I think they need alot of time and attention the first 3 months to make sure they are eating well and not declining... after that, I think they get a little "tame" and are more manageable.

But I think most folks can't invest their own attention and time to caring for this fish to the point that I'd recommend them to anyone but a "seasoned vet"... and I also think they can still be "hit or miss" - even in the best of hobbyists hands.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

You kept three of them alive for over 5 years!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wow, I can't believe that.  Beyond wonderful. 

Imagine, and some ignorant people out there still think they are impossible.  Some people like to spread bad information.  Yet another great example of someone showing what can be done (even 20 years ago). 

Adam

if I remember correctly about five years ago or more powder blues were considered IMPOSSIBLE to keep. I remember wanting one and researching them. I decided against one because of all the information about poor survival rates. They are still a finicky fish, but certainly not impossible to keep. Achilles tangs are becoming more popular as people learn what they need. I know of about 10-15 people on reefcentral with thriving happy healthy fish. One guy even has a shoal of them!!!!! So i think that as techniches are perfected and appropriate water flow etc are given that impossible fish become possible. While they still may not be for a beginner they are something a lot of us can keep and enjoy.

As bad as this sounds some of the harder we keep fish die in the name of science if you will.... As we keep striving to keep these harder to keep fish they become more attainable for everyone. One day we may own the only corals and reef fish in our tanks. It is very possible with the bleaching of reefs and lionfish taking over etc. I feel by captively raising fish and corals I am doing my part. But thats just me :)
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 10:11pm

Crystal- are you sure you posted that?  Dang that post sounds like I wrote it.LOL

Adam
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 10:22pm
I'm pretty sure it was me, but you could of taken over my screen name  haha.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Reefski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 6:59pm
If we ship 100 clown fish from Indonesia to Salt Lake City and only 5 come alive that means we have the %5 strongest fish.  Chances are you will do well with those 5 fish.  If we ship 100 Moorish Idols from Hawaii to Salt Lake City, almost all 100 will make it here alive.  If 95 of them die in a week we're still left with the %5 strongest fish.  Many experts argue that the perception of Moorish Idols being difficult to keep is because they all die in the hands of aquarists, and not in the hands of shippers.

Adam

i would strongly disagree with the statement above. this is faulty reasoning. do those 5% of clown fish go on to live the 20 years a clown fish lives in the wild or captivity?

95% of clownfish do not die in shipping or in the aquarium.

if the Morrish idols survive transport in a higher percentage that means they are healthier when they arrive. so it is not just dying in the hands of aquarists that matters but rather the long term survival. being able to provide them conditions that will enable them to live a normal lifespan in captivity.

using your first argument about clown fish applied to Moorish Idols the high % that made it alive should do well in captivity. but they do not!

if a dog or cat or bird has a normal lifespan of 15 years let's say, would you call it a success if most of them died within the first days or weeks you had it and none made it to their normal lifespan?

can you point us to references and name the many experts who argue it is only perception that they are difficult to keep? it is not just perception, it is reality.

i would also like to have the references to captive breeding. if they could spawn and raise juveniles which are much more difficult than adult fish to feed and take care of why can't anyone keep the adults.

using clown fish for example, people have figured out how to spawn and feed the juveniles and raise them to maturity. the adults don't all just die once they become adults. in other words it is much easier to take care of an adult clown fish than a fry.

i was recently at the Goergia Aquarium. they have several Swimming in their 265,000 gallon reef display. Kim Hall told me they have lots of sponges and other inverts growing on the live rock in this system. who knows if they will have long term success with them, after all the aquarium has only been open a short time. but if anywhere can have success i would expect it there. it was wonderful to see them swimming together on the reef.

they are beautiful fish, no denying that.

please leave Idols to the public aquariums and other scientists to study for now.

even if 5% make it that means 95% don't. by not buying the one fish you are saving twenty using Adams figures. but it may be saving 1,000 or more.

save a fish, don't buy it!

Carl

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 9:09pm
Welcome Reefski!

Mike

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 9:42pm
I agree these are stunning fish and I was looking at getting one for myself but I started to read up on them and find out their survival rate let advanced people try and figure out what their are lacking then we can all get them with a higher survival rate
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 10:12pm
Hey Carl glad you made it here.
(for those of you who don't know Carl he is an aquarist in Souther Cal.  We had the opportunity to visit some wholesale facilities together last month)

I'll do my best to answer your questions, but it is basically like we talked about at your house.  They are certainly a risky fish, no denying that.  But they certainly aren't impossible.  Heck this thread alone shows numerous people in our club who've kept them for years.  That certainly doesn't mean I'm telling people to go buy them.  Don't get that idea.  I'm also not telling people to buy Powder Blues or Achillies.  I'm just saying don't write off this fish so quickly considering there has been some success.

do those 5% of clown fish go on to live the 20 years a clown fish lives in the wild or captivity?
Well now that is an excellent point.  We don't keep fish anywhere near their life span.  If you want to talk about fish in the hobby that live for 20 years you are so far below %1. I don't think we could even measure it.  I agree on that.  A good point I didn't talk about (true for all fish, not just Idols). 
And of course we don't just ship 100 clowns to Salt Lake and they arrive dead.  I mean they go through all sorts of steps along the way where we see the mortality. 

if a dog or cat or bird has a normal lifespan of 15 years let's say, would you call it a success if most of them died within the first days or weeks you had it and none made it to their normal lifespan?
Keep in mind the average salt water fish never makes it past the larval stages.  Even a juvenile fish has really beaten the odds.  I guess measuring success is different for each hobbyist.  To me, when one of my fish turns 2 years old in my tank I'm excited.  I don't really know why that has been my goal???  Maybe years ago someone told me you were good if you keep fish for 2 years or something, I really don't remember. 

can you point us to references and name the many experts who argue it is only perception that they are difficult to keep? it is not just perception, it is reality.
I'm sure I can.  Tomorrow I'll see what I can find.  Although at MACNA I would have thought you would have found people who would have said this?  Oh, and do you have that Thaller article (Coral) with you.  I was just reading it the other day, and dang there are a number of quotes in there (I put some at the first of this thread) where she makes these fish sound like easy fish.  I don't agree with her, but then again she is smarter than I am so who knows.

i would also like to have the references to captive breeding. if they could spawn and raise juveniles which are much more difficult than adult fish to feed and take care of why can't anyone keep the adults.
Now that is a very good question.  I didn't really address that did I.  Moorish Idols tend to feed off of sponges, worms, critters (like you said).  But that isn't true for the larvae and even for the juveniles before they settle on the reef.  They are in the open ocean and feeding on plankton.  I think (my opinion) that this is one reason why a captive raised or tank raised would do better than wild caught as they would be raised without that special diet and would be raised on prepared foods. 
Although I wouldn't say that nobody can keep them.  Again, several people in this club have.

using clown fish for example, people have figured out how to spawn and feed the juveniles and raise them to maturity. the adults don't all just die once they become adults. in other words it is much easier to take care of an adult clown fish than a fry.

Correct.  No argument here.

who knows if they will have long term success with them, after all the aquarium has only been open a short time

I somewhat agree.  If they've had those fish for over a year then count me as one of the people saying they are successful.  I realize that isn't like keeping them for 15 years but heck I don't think anyone has kept a damsel or a chromis for 15 years.  Heck an Idol that lives for a year at a public aquarium could well outlive many of the other "easy" fish they have.

please leave Idols to the public aquariums and other scientists to study for now.

even if 5% make it that means 95% don't. by not buying the one fish you are saving twenty using Adams figures. but it may be saving 1,000 or more.

I'll definitely disagree here.  I think someone like you Carl is a perfect person to experiment with this fish.  Trust me, scientists don't have all that you have going for your tank.  Trust me, most scientists and experts in this field have a bare 55 gal tank.  They don't have 1500 gallons of water with a refugium, skimmer, natural sunlight.... dude you are way ahead of the experts.  Your system is the best there is.  If there is any chance of us learning more about these fishes it could be done in your tank.

I do agree.  If you don't buy the fish, you could save many many more.  And buy buying a fish you in effect contribute to the deaths of many other fish.  That is quite sad, but true.

Adam
ps- thanks again for coming here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic