Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can Fish Recover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Fish Recover?
    Posted: September 16 2008 at 10:15pm
So over the last few days I have lost some gobies.  Really a mystery to me, as they were doing great. 
But then something happened.  I physically saw (well my wife did first and I didn't believe her) a couple of fish swim INTO the anemones.  This included a couple little fish (which now have "scars" on them.  Even more weird, the biggest fish in my tank rubbed up agains one of my anemones. 

Too many anemones?  Not a big enough tank?  Accidental fish suicide? 

I'm not sure.  Have any of you seen your fish get "stung" and then recover?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 10:33pm
I've not seen it but I only keep Rock Anemones. I am intested in knowing more about this though.

Mike

DeepFriedOprah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 11:24pm
Adam,

What do these "scars" look like? Do their fins look like a weathered flag (ripped and raveled)?

Jason
"So, Just right in half? I have a very large one, Like 4" that I would like to frag, as well as a few smaller ones"
Cameron
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 12:20am
I've seen it happen - the fish have a somewhat "grey area" where the sting was (at least mine did). I did have one recover. It was a flame angel.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 1:21am
its cause you have carpet anemones. they eat everything.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 8:55am
No carpet anemones... I still want to buy yours...but you are right I've had carpets before and they certainly do eat fish.

Sebae anemone.  Fins look fine.  What I see are scars... I don't know how else to say it.  One one fish they are brown.  But on the other fish it just looks like one side of the fish has elevated lines on it. 

Adam 
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Too many anemones? 
Have any of you seen your fish get "stung" and then recover?

How many anemones?
Have you posted a pic of your tank?
Yes I've seen many fish recover when they have brushed into an anemone. It doesn't usually leave lines, but rather spots. 
What about other causes, like a a shrimp getting too agressive?
Where are these fish sleeping at night?
Last night I had a feeling that I better check my tank. I got the little flashlight out and couldn't find anything wrong but noticed some sweeper tentacles coming up over the body of the Sea Apple. They appear to be coming from the rock that I didn't know had an LPS on it. I need to check it in the light.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 9:47am
I had a tube anemone that stung a bunch of my fish. It ate one fire fish and stung just about all the tangs in the tank. The tangs had what looked like little welts (they looked like lines to me) but they recovered just fine. The tube anemone had very thin tentacles and at night when it extended it was twice the size as during the day (which made it hard for any fish swimming by to avoid it).

I think it depends entirely on the type of anemone that is doing the stinging and the fish that are getting nailed.
Jeff Rasmussen

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 11:31am
good point.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

No carpet anemones... I still want to buy yours...but you are right I've had carpets before and they certainly do eat fish.

Sebae anemone.  Fins look fine.  What I see are scars... I don't know how else to say it.  One one fish they are brown.  But on the other fish it just looks like one side of the fish has elevated lines on it. 

Adam 

my suggestion is to get some clowns in there to host the anemones and keep the fish away. that is the only way we kept our carpet from eating fish. we lost two tangs to it prior to this. On a side note if the wound isnt bad they should recover fine
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 7:55pm
Like on the reef tour I was talking to you about my powder brown tang that got hit by my carpet.  At first I thought it looked like it had ich but it was only on one side of it.  Then I seen it nipping at it then the little dim light in my head came on and thats when I knew what happened.
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 8:23pm
I have lost a few NICE fish due to the carpet you want from Shane.  Just not worth it to have Anemones I.M.O.  . Deb keeps a bunch in her tank and I'm still waiting for the day.......... On another note. Isn't the natural staple for the Anemone,,,,,, Fish??
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
OceanBlueSky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OceanBlueSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 12:22pm
I've personally seen my tube anemones sting a flame angel and sailfin tang, neither recovered.  I now keep only damsels with my tubes, and the little mean guys have the brains to stay away from them.
Arthur
220 Reef, 90 Lightning & RBTA, 7 nano
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic