Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clams and Skimmers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 11:15pm
I think skimmers are an accessory.  Unless your tank is overstocked I don't think you need one.  And if you do need it you probably have a sweet a**  tank.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 7:32am
Originally posted by carlso63 carlso63 wrote:

After reading this thread I have to announce I have created the Worlds Best Skimmer...

They go on sale Jan. 1 and will retail for $2,000.00

Here is a picture of the prototype (patent protected):

That is just sick and wrong.Shocked  I can't believe you posted that on a family website.

Mike

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 6:19pm
Now don't you go steal my idea for a "  ASM G4 Gigas " skimmer, Mike Wink

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 9:53pm
It appears that there is no disagreement that a clam eats many of the organics that a skimmer is meant to remove.

I have seen, and contributed my voice to the many statements here to the effect that there are many ways to do a reef tank.

I have also seen a tank that was cleaned up by a clam whereas the skimmer had absolutely no effect.

Certainly a skimmer could still find organics to remove even with a number of the most massive of clams, but I believe everyone can acknowledge that a tank with clam(s) and no skimmer can do beautifully.

If you are still skeptical then I challenge you to try it and discover for yourself. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 24 2008 at 9:57pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
KMastin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMastin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 10:14pm
What about oysters?
Kathy Mastin
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 10:43pm
I love oyster
out with the large and in with the nano
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 2:05am
MMMM oysters. I don't really like them chilled but a good smoked oyster on a ritz cracker, now thats a snack. Though I hardly see what that has to do with filtration Kmastin.

Sculpin
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 6:54am
Thanks, Mark! I have a skimmer but it doesn't pull out much skimmate. I thought it was because I had left it too dirty for too long, but now I think it is because my DOC level is low. Thanks for clearing that up!

KMastin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMastin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 8:35am
I had a finger leather that died, its base happened to be a 4 inch live oyster.  Which has been living in my refugium for more than a year.  I just wondered if it was helping with the filtration any.
Kathy Mastin
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 11:39am
Does the oyster look like this Spiny Oyster? I loved this guy. May it rest in peace. Cry

Oysters are Bivalves.
All Bivalves filter the water.
Coral are actually filtering the water too.
When you look at a reef, the polluters are mostly just the fish and everything else filters the water.
Algae is an excellent filter mechanism, reducing Ammonia and all the N compounds.
Feather dusters filter single celled algae for their food.
I'll post the pics of why I know clams are excellent filter mechanisms.

This is when the skimmer had been operating a week with no decrease in phytoplankton density, no skimmate collected in the cup...

Within about two weeks of taking the pic above (end of July), a friend gave me a large clam and a few coral.  The pic below was taken 2 days after the clam entered the tank.

Whoops, I posted the wrong pic. I'll insert the right one here when I can find it.
Pic dated August 14 2004

This pic was taken 2 months later in October 2004

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 26 2008 at 8:09pm
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 11:50am
Mark - Do you think it's possible that any other changes made could have helped as well? Time?, I see rock was moved?, and lights were added? That was a big clam, I remember seeing it when I visited your house the first time. For a second there I thought the bottom tank was your new tank because of the lights you had hung over the 75. I know you used them for the new tank. Anyway, just trying to ask some questions and see what you thought.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 11:53am
Mark thinks the clam ate the phyto.  I'm not convinced clams even eat phyto.

I don't believe it.  I'm thinking it's remotely possible that just one or two rotifers made it into the tank.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 4:38pm
I agree with bbauman, there look to be many factors in your 'experiment' that could have changed the outcome. Just a few things that I noticed, there appears to be a major change in the setup, such as the rockwork as before mentioned as well as the lights. It also appears that the skimmer was removed....to test your theory, are you sure that you had the skimmer working properly before making the changes. Also, there appears to be some sort of overflow attached to the tank in the second picture, is this plumbed to a sump with macro in it?.....I am sorry to be skeptical, but it appears that a lot more than just two weeks had transpired between the pictures...I agree with posting your own results of an experiment, but if you are going to state them as facts, there needs to be a controlled experiment where only one variable is changed....it seems your 'experiment' has had many factors changed, and to state that only one of those factors caused the results you wanted is just not scientific proof....

While I do believe that a clam helps to reduce dissolved elements in the tank such as phosphate and nitrate, I will not state it as a fact, due to the fact that I have not run a CONTROLLED experiment to prove my hypothesis...

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 5:30pm
my skimmer did work alot better before i got my clams i have be messing with it for a year now maybe there is something to be said about clams
out with the large and in with the nano
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 11:11pm
All bivalves are efficient filter feeders, thus their niche in nature, in an unskimmed system I'm sure they have a marked role in the filtering of the tank.
I think a lot of these concerns and general knowledge of skimmers is based on old technology, the skimmer in that picture is an outdated and inefficient model.  Skimmers have come a long way not only in the last ten years but in the last year alone the technology has vastly improved.  That being said though there are a hundred ways to run a reef tank and all can work equally well in many systems.  But I don't doubt that skimmer couldn't clear a tank, it is well suited for a tank below 20 gallons if that IMO. 
I have seen several instances where clams have cleared phyto blooms in peoples systems, but this method is hardly a complete one....
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 1:36am
Originally posted by dew2loud1 dew2loud1 wrote:

All bivalves are efficient filter feeders, thus their niche in nature, in an unskimmed system...

What do you mean by "unskimmed system"? Don't get me wrong but isn't that what ocean waves constantly making a frothy sea foam and washing it on a beach is? I'm not saying that's all there is to it, but even nature uses it's own "protein skimmer". Big%20smile Man, I'm just a dumb guy trying to sound smart like Adam Blundell so just laugh at me if I'm wrong. LOL
28g Cube

Brandon in West Jordan
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 6:53am
you quoted part of my sentence, read on I should have used a period...
The ocean has efficient means of removing wastes, ie beaches...balanced system etc....  I was saying in an unskimmed system (meaning aquarium) they most likely have a marked role in filtering the tank.

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 10:32am

Ok that's more clear thanks.

28g Cube

Brandon in West Jordan
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 7:36pm
Whoops, you are right that's a pic from about a month or two later.

Yes that is one of the older less efficient skimmers, but a good skimmer nonetheless. I know how to setup skimmers and even after a week it had not found enough skimmate to wet a dog.

I need to make a confession here. I honestly believe that comparing the skimmer to the ocean froth swept up on shore just doesn't fly far with me. Have you ever thought about the possibility that the tide comes back in and washes most of that skimmate back out to sea. Confused

I have seen how rotifers can clear phytoplankton. When it's done you have a tank full of rotifers. There were no rotifers left over when the plankton cleared. I looked for them. And the tank cleared much quicker than it would have with the introduction of a few rotifers.

This was not an experiment. There was no hypothesis and no control. It is simply an observation. And nothing much was changed except the removal of some rock because the new clam and brain needed space.

I know I'm going against the grain of what the experts have been saying for the last few years. Indeed, the experts changed their tune a few years ago. Where they used to say that all clams did best with phyto, now they say that only juveniles need phyto. That may be true, I don't know for sure, but I know what I saw. That large Squamosa ate the phytoplankton and cleared the water within 2 days.Approve

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 26 2008 at 8:26pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 10:10pm
I honestly believe that comparing the skimmer to the ocean froth swept up on shore just doesn't fly far with me

Me too.

That large Squamosa ate the phytoplankton and cleared the water within 2 days

I half way agree.  I'll believe it cleared the water in 2 days.  I'm just not ready to say that it ate the phytoplankton.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic