Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY Calcium Reactor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My DIY Calcium Reactor
    Posted: October 06 2008 at 1:37am
You may remember my last DIY project, the Kalk Doser... Well it didn't go so well and I am NOT happy with my overall results... well that and an added worry about the integrity of my $15 dosing pump thanks to Mark. So here I go with another DIY, and as unlikely as it is I hopefully won't embarrass myself this time.

I take no credit for this, I got the idea from Reef Central but since the original pics disappeared from the thread I flew solo on some things. I'd like to add that I have not hooked this up yet but I have no reason to think it wont work. Here you go-

Micah's DIY Calcium Reactor:

Parts list:

Large Whirlpool water filter @ Lowes $60.00
Small Whirlpool water filter @ Lowes $30.00
Quite One 1200 pump $30.00 (I ended up replacing the one shown a little later) 
1 1/4 Sink pipe 12" long (I just searched around the sink parts till I found something that would fit inside of the Canister top) $3.50
6X Quick Disconnect Fittings $20.00 (aprox.)
Ball Valve Quick Disconnect Fitting $6.50
Various Other fittings $20.00 (aprox.)
Ball Valve Threaded Union $6.00
4' 3/4 hose $6.00
6' 1/4 hose $1.00
Reactor Media $26.00
Co2 tank w/ reg (already had one)

Total $179.00

Here is most of it but I did have to make some added trips to Lowes to get the rest of what I needed.

I started with fitting the 1 1/4 Sink pipe adapting it with the Chamber.

I threw it on the mill to cut some slots into it but drilling a bunch of holes instead would be much the same result, I just like working on the mill when I can. Also I had to grind down the threads to almost a point to fit into the bottom of the canister and had to shorten the whole thing about 2" to get a net fit.

After I finally got it all to fit, I used some 2 part epoxy and sealed the pipe into the bottom of the chamber.

I then begun working on the top of the chamber. With a 7/16 Drill bit, I drilled into two of the 4 top holes. I don't know why they are there but sure were handy and I didn't have to drill a pilot hole . With a 1/4 NPT tap, I tapped out both holes and installed 2 quick disconnect fittings.

From there I adapted my pump to fit the 3/4 hose. I wont get into detail about that because my pump is a one of a kind but here is something you'll need to know- Somewhere on the intake side of the pump you'll need to drill and tap a hole for your C02 to be injected. What I did was just two PVC threaded adapters with a small piece of pipe in between. This is a part that I've had some trouble with and will have to make another. I'll just add, allow plenty of time to dry before you tap it... I'm on my third try now .

After you get the main canister all sorted out it's time to start on the second. It's much the same as the first apart from the pump. For the pipe that drops down the center of the canister, I used 1" PVC (I'll have to double check on that) and cut slots in the bottom with.. you guessed it, my mill. This does not require as much flow as the main canister so a few holes should do the trick. After that it just needs a few bushings adapt to the 1/4 Quick Disconnect fittings.

After gluing the pipe into the bottom of the canister and letting it set it was time for its pressure test. I adapted a garden hose to fit the 1/4 line and after filling it with water, letting the bubbles out, and taking it up to whatever pressure my pipes are, it passed with flying colors and was ready for it's media and final assembly.

Note- I shoved some sponges down each pipe so the media wouldn't fall through the slots I cut. I don't know if this will have any ill effect but I'm sure I'll find out if it does.
Note- I used some brass adapters on the pump but I just read the negative effects brass can have on a reef tank so I'll be replacing those tomorrow. It's just what Lowes had to offer. Does anyone know if Stainless is any good?

And now I have an almost ready to instal Ca Reactor. I'll make sure I take photos of the installation and post it so beginners can get the full concept (I'm not really sure I even do yet )

Let me know what you think and I hope this helps people out.

Sculpin

Edited by Sculpin - February 22 2009 at 1:18am
KludgeGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KludgeGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 8:24am
Clap

I've been thinking of doing this with water filter canisters but I just didn't quite know...well what I was doing.  Great pictures, you'll need to post how well it works.

-Rocks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 7:31pm
Any news on how it works?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 8:13pm
I'm ordering some plastic parts tonight to replace my brass ones. Apparently they aren't available locally so it will be a few days before I get it running. Sorry to get you hopes up and I'll keep you posted.

Sculpin
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 2:05am
I got it all set up tonight. Here it is-

Everything looks like it's working well but it has a very minor leak and I read on my pump that it requires to be submersed so I'll be looking into a good Ehiem or something along those lines soon. I have it shut off for now though just in case. It didn't seem like it was getting too hot but better safe then sorry.

Let me know what you guys think.

Sculpin

Edited by Sculpin - October 13 2008 at 11:43pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 8:55pm
looks like a great set up you made there.  Maybe when I get to the point where I need one I will have to get with you on making one now that you got all the bugs worked out of it LOL.
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 4:01pm
That looks pretty good.  I wish I had the equipment to build one.  I agree with Fishkeeper.  Maybe I can get some help with building one.
Vipers look cool at a distant, but be careful of the bite..its a killer!

Still to many cool stuff not enough money
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 4:12pm
I would be happy to help. It's working great right now though I haven't checked my Ca levels recently. I probably will tomorrow.

Sculpin
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 9:32pm
Any updates on this?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 2:04am
Everything appears to be working well except the needle valve on the regulator. I'll need to take it apart and check it out. It slows down after a while so I have to readjust it every 2-3 days. 

I don't know what my ca is at right now, I'm more worried about my ORP at the moment. I'll update you as soon as I can on the overall results.

Sculpin
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 7:57pm
Heres and update-

I ended up replacing the old pump with a "Quiet One 1200" I bought at petsmart. Let me tell ya, it was not very quiet at first. After a while though the noise settled down and now it holds up to it's name.

I had mentioned earlier that the needle valve was having problems, well I took it apart and in the process ruined it and had to get another from Milwaukee Testers and now it works great. If you run into this same problem all you have to do is use a 1/16" drill and clean out the hole.

About a couple of weeks ago the alk rose to 15 DKH and so I shut off the Ca reactor and it dropped back down to 10 dkh over the next few weeks or so. I've got the ca reactor up and running again. I guess I need to continue to fine tune it to where it doses just as much as the aquarium uses.

Overall this sure beats the worry I had over my Kalk doser and all in all has been a worthwhile project. Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Sculpin
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 2:06pm
Update

Well since I started using it I've had to change the media once. I ended up going for a larger media and I'm very happy with it. I think the smaller stuff dissolves much faster. It took about 10 months to burn through what I had shown.

I've ran into some problems with my regulator, particularly the bubble counter. I found that when the solenoid shuts off (I have it linked with my return pump so it shuts down once a day to feed), water goes back into the on/off solenoid and over time build up and causes flow problems. I ended up just draining the bubble counter and letting it run dry and now have a second bubble counter made from a small soda bottle doing it's job. So far, no problems.

I've also learned that if you are going to shut off your reactor for long periods of time, make sure you just shut off the Co2 and continue to let the water flow through it. If you shut it down completely, after a couple of weeks the water goes black. I've herd this called an "anaerobic reaction" but I'm not sure. It's not good though. The water ends up smelling like rotten eggs and you'll have to take the whole thing apart and clean it before you can use it again. 

So far it's been running smooth apart from some minor hiccups (normaly caused by operator error Embarrassed ). So if you have any questions about this project let me know, I'm happy to help.

Micah
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 8:02pm
Awesome DIY, I'll probably be hitting you up soon.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:00am
Ok so I wanted to pop in and give an update to this project. I've recently ripped the whole thing out and rebuilt it. The reason is because it leaked, it rusted around the fittings (they had metal threads), the pump sucked (don't buy QuiteOne pumps for Ca reactors), and it was too big. 

I rebuilt the reactor from the ground up and did it for cheaper. I bought 2x 10" RO canisters, some canister hanging brackets from BRS and an Ehime Hobby pump. After plumbing it all I mounted it to my tank frame and it's now suspended in the back and is now working awesome.

I'll post a few pics when I get to it. Overall though this rebuild was a smatter way to go. Even though I have a smaller main RO unit I think it still works great. 
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:29am

Awesome job! Just a couple questions

How are you controlling/monitoring the PH inside the reactor?

And What is turning your Co2 solenoid off and on?

150 in the works

8g Biocube,minijet 606,par38 led and Intank media tower,koralia nano
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 12:33pm
I don't use anything to regulate the ph in the reactor other then eyeballing the bubble counter. I just adjust the Co2 a little higher if I'm getting a reduction in calcium/alk in my system and then wait a week and see. It takes a little playing around but you still have to do that even with a PH monitor on the reactor. The whole goal is to balance the reactor with the supplements the coral eat up, right?

I've got one of those Milwaukee Regulators/Solinoid/Bubble counter set up on my Co2  

29 Biocube

jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Sculpin Sculpin wrote:

I don't use anything to regulate the ph in the reactor other then eyeballing the bubble counter. I just adjust the Co2 a little higher if I'm getting a reduction in calcium/alk in my system and then wait a week and see. It takes a little playing around but you still have to do that even with a PH monitor on the reactor. The whole goal is to balance the reactor with the supplements the coral eat up, right?  

Very true! So no need for a controller good to know :)

Do you control the tank water flowing though the reactor or just run it wide open?

sorry for all the questions

Edited by jdskidawg - December 18 2012 at 1:13pm
150 in the works

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 2:21pm
No problem with the Q's man. Happy to help. Yes I do regulate the water flowing into the reactor. I use a pinch valve and just squish the plastic line. I've found that any sort of ball or gate valve that reduces the flow usually get caught up with junk and are less reliable than the pinch valve I use.

I do have a controller on the tank that will shut down the Co2 when the main pump is shut off. That way I don't over do the Co2 in the reactor if I shut off to feed.

29 Biocube

jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Sculpin Sculpin wrote:

No problem with the Q's man. Happy to help. Yes I do regulate the water flowing into the reactor. I use a pinch valve and just squish the plastic line. I've found that any sort of ball or gate valve that reduces the flow usually get caught up with junk and are less reliable than the pinch valve I use.

I do have a controller on the tank that will shut down the Co2 when the main pump is shut off. That way I don't over do the Co2 in the reactor if I shut off to feed.

where did you get the Pinch Valve?
150 in the works

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 3:00pm
This is what I'm talking about-

I use F but some of the other ones look better than what I've got.

Edited by Sculpin - December 18 2012 at 3:02pm

29 Biocube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic