Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sun coral Help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sun coral Help.
    Posted: October 09 2008 at 11:40pm
Hello,

I bought a sun Coral a few weeks ago.  It has never opened up and I feed it regularly. weel recently it has started turning white.  Well, What can cause this and what do do about it? Please Help!

Thanks,
Matt
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 11:55pm
Where do you have it placed in your tank?

DebBig%20smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 9:21am

I have it placed in the bottom of my 24 nano.  Its half hidden under a rock.

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 9:31am
Can you explain your feeding process?? 

I think it might be turning white due to lack of flow and feedings. Ouch
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 9:37am
Here's my old thread on my ole' sun corals - hopefully it help:

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16462&KW=

I don't have the corals anymore - after I upgraded to the 90gal tank, I started the care less and less for the nano.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 9:50am

Feeding:

I feed it Mynis Shrip everynight.  I turn off my daytime PC so my Athenics is the only ones on.  I use a syring to get the all he heads covered in food.  My clowns like to peck at the tube.  Its funny they think they can get in lol.  Anyways i try to do it around 9 or 10 everynight.

Flow:
I have a Korillia nano powerhead on the right side of the tank.  My pump in the back of my aquapod is the stock pump.  It runs into a chiller then into my tank.  So there not a ton of flow on my left side of the tank.  Is that the problem?  I have tested my water water at all.  I make sure that my salinity is crrect when I do 10 percent water changes weekly.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 1:55pm
I'm sorry to read that they are turning white, but all is not lost. They can be saved.

One important note, if the polyps don't open up then feeding is of no effect.
Also, if a coral has not opened up within ~2 days I move it to another place in the tank. If it stays closed for a week then I search for problems with the tank.

How about a full tank pic and a close up of the area with the Sun Polyps?

Do you check Alk and Ca?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 2:26pm

I will get a tank pic later tonight.  I don't test for Alk of Ca.  What would be the best to test for that?

tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 4:20pm
Salifert is what I use, it is pricey but u get 50-100 tests. and at once a week they last for a year or more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic