Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SILENT Canopy Fans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SILENT Canopy Fans
    Posted: March 11 2003 at 9:03am

I've been doing some research on fans for the canopy I'm building.  I'm installing 2 250w MH and 2 VHO Actinics.  I found a company named Orion that makes fans that would work for this. 

Get this!  These fans are only 18db of sound and 74 CFM of air!!  For those of you who know about sound, that is almost dead silent.

Even better, there is a local distributor for them, Standard Electrical Supply.

OA119AP-11-3 is the model number and they run around 20 bucks.  Great canopy fans.

http://www.orionfans.com/accoolfans.htm

Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 9:26am

It looks like that is a 4" fan, is that correct?  That's is a great find I think for $20.  It's a much better deal than you'll find at Radio Shack or a LFS the performance look great.  Let us know how it works.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 9:32am
It's a 5" fan.  I already have them, they work great....
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:22pm

I'll have to check that out. I have two 120x120X38mm (4 3/4") fans that put out 108 CFM, but they are 42dB each. It's way too loud for me. By the way, did you mean Standard Supply Electronics on Main Street?

I'll pick some up tomorrow if they have them in stock.

That's exciting news. Now I can watch a movie without waking up the neighbors... Thanks!

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:37pm

Ryan, yes thats the place.  It's not a regular stock item.  Here is a quote from their e-mail:

OA119ap-11-3T (terminal)
leadtime 7-10 days cost 21.92ea
G19-8     7-10 days cost 1.30ea
f.o.b. Salt Lake City
can ship C.O.D. or on credit card

any questions, please call 800-453-7036
Thank You, Jeff

Make sure you specify the 1400rpm, 74cfm, 18db model.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:47pm
Do they come with a power supply? I'm using a 12V power supply. Is it a 120V or 12V Fan?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:51pm

I just found it, looks like it is not 12V. Probably why it is so much quieter. The 12V models from the same company, with the same specs put out the same dB level as my current fans. That makes me think that the 12V fans are naturally louder than the 120V fans...

What are you using for a power supply? A power cord?

Update: I just checked on Sunon's website (Current fan Mfr.), and their 120 Volt fans are as loud as their 12V fans. Hmmm... Wonder what makes Orions quieter. Definetly worth it though.

Thanks for the info.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:54pm

Ryan...They are 120 volt.  I just spliced a power cord to some terminal connectors and insulated them with some shrink wrap.  I don't have them installed in the canopy yet though, just building the canopy now.  Hoping to have the tank up and running by the beginning of May.

So far so good though!

Sean

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:55pm

http://www.orionfans.com/accoolfans.htm

For the technical info on these babies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:56pm

If you still need help with your Overflows, let me know when.

Thanks

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:57pm

Yeah, not quite to that point yet bro....I still gotta get the tank up to MSM to get it drilled.  Will probably run it up there this weekend.

I'll let ya know when I'm ready...definately going to take you up on that offer!

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 9:52pm

Sean - that is a great find!  I just bought some fans for my computer that are 92mm move 28cfm at 20db and I thought that was good.  Now I know what to get for a hood when I have a 75 gallon tank.

What kind of canopy are you building? For what size tank?  A friend and I built the canopy on Danny's tank and I really like the way it turned out.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 6:52am

I'm building a canopy for my 80 gal. It's 48x18x12 high.  I bought the tank with a 6 inch canopy but I needed more space for 2x250w halides.

We really should have a DIY forum, I would post progress pics there :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 7:01am

I just completed the stand/canpopy for my 80 gallon. I'll post some pictures later. I used MDF this time instead of oak paneling. It turned out pretty well I think. Same size canopy as yours Sean. It houses my 250's also.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 7:20am

I'm building mine out of oak 12x1/2 boards.  I'm basically just replacing the frame portion on what I have with some doors on the front.  I'm going to use the same top that was on the canopy that I bought, just  building the rest from scratch.

paulataylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulataylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 9:47am

If your are on a budget I found some orion fans at ray-el-co supply  for $6.00 each, they are a electronics store sort of, you may have to dig to find the fans your looking for but plan on an hour because you will want to look at every thing else in the store such as the 110 power cords for the fans they were only .50 each.

they are on  main st, behind the new unused hospital about 2900 south in slc.

Paul A. Taylor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic