Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yindar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed
    Posted: October 21 2008 at 2:38pm
So I have a friend who wants to start up a Salt Water Tank.  He's looking to me for help (his first mistake! Clap) and I'm still learning as it is.  What I'd like is some advice from you guys/gals out there because I don't want to stear him wrong and have him ending up wasting money like I did when I got started in this.  Here's some questions I have for you. 

His tank is going to be 55 Gal.  He wants a reef eventually.

1)  What type of Lighting do you feel he should buy?
2)  How big of a sump/refugium should he have for this size of tank?
3)  What size of pump should he get?
4)  What size of Skimmer would he need?

I have my own ideas about these questions but again, I don't want to steer him wrong.  I'd like to see him do it right the first time. 
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 3:17pm
1) i would say if he wants a reef eventually to get the lights now, so he needs to decide on what type of lights he was either mh's, vho's, pc's.
2) as big as he can get
3) whatever he feels the need, i would say something around 500 gph
4) i would go with one that is rated for at least 2 x's the size of the tank.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Yindar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 3:34pm
Thank you for the advice Reptileman Thumbs%20Up
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 4:16pm
you are asking the questions at the right place, make sure to tell them to not trust the LFS exclusively, just to get a second opinion here at least.

They could also join the group and ask the questions themselves.

Brian
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 1:27pm
I think your first priority shouldn't be equipment but to get him in here and have him start asking the questions. He's got to learn sometime otherwise you'll have both your tank and his to maintain.

If you really want to help him out, before he starts on his tank, take him to a few of the members tanks (with there consent of course) and see what he likes and talk about cost. If money is a big deal, take it slow but don't cheap out on the necessities like lighting or filtration. A great reference for inexpensive tanks is a thread Mark Peterson did- Secrests of an affordable Reff Aquarium

After he starts to get the concepts figured out have him get The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner and if corals are his thing then Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman is a great book too. Robert Fenner's book really help me allot in figuring out the direction I wanted to take and helped me get my mind around the standard cycling, maintenance, and do's and don'ts.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Sculpin

Edited by Sculpin - October 22 2008 at 1:31pm
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 3:25pm
I would definately have him check out some members tanks.  I really wish we had done that before we spent all the money we did when we first started.  Everyone has their personal preferences but if you see a few tanks, you can make up your mind being a little more educated.  You and your friend are welcome to stop by our house anytime.  We are in West Valley.  Just shoot me a pm if you would like to check out our tanks.  We have 7 set up right now all with different lights, sumps, skimmers and pumps.  I also agree that you should have your friend check out the board.  It has been a life saver for us more than once.

DebBig%20smile

Edited by frednwilma1999 - October 22 2008 at 3:26pm
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
vbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 5:25pm
And watch out for Deb!!! She loves her tanks and will talk about them till you are an expert. Meaning as long as you have Tongue. But Jeff and Deb were my first stop when I was looking at tank stuff and they helped me out immensly. I would highly recomend visiting tanks especially theirs if possible.
Aaron Ferre
New guy with a keyboard, watch out!!!
54g custom bowfront
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic