Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Coral Do You Want

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Coral Do You Want
    Posted: June 30 2004 at 6:22pm

Hey everyone.  Okay so next month is a coral cutting seminar.  Of course that means we could have some corals, and frags for sale.  Sooooo what corals would you like to see us have for the meeting?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2004 at 6:34pm
Xenia, xenia and more xenia...if you're running low on that, perhaps some xenia would do. Just kidding. Blue Tort (don't know the latin name) would be nice. Some nice colored Ricordea would be interesting and appreciated also.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2004 at 7:59pm

Jamison - that would be Acropora tortuosa.  Blue is just a rare color for it.  Tort is not that uncommon.

Adam and Pres members - if you are going to do SPS, please make them bigger sized frags than last time.

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2004 at 8:10pm

How about Cespitularia ?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2004 at 8:11pm
I hear Adam's got an "in" on that!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2004 at 8:55pm

The Cespitularia is not for sale.  Not for another 12 months.  Although, I bet we could track some down. 
Marcus- we should have some large corals or large frags for sale.  However, most people have asked for small cuttings.  Also, the goal isn't to sell big frags but to teach people HOW to frag so they can go home and do the same.  The problem is, is that now we have so many people who know how to frag that they don't care to come learn, they just want to come get cheap coral. 

I guess the frag size will somewhat depend on how many corals we have, and how many people show up.  But the request is noted, I'll see what we can do.

Adam

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2004 at 9:01pm

Hey, somebody (Suzy and Mark have shown/told me how at least once) may think I know how to frag mushrooms, xenia, ricordia, etc., but it is still kind of scary!  I am coming to watch and learn!  If I am lucky I may even be able to buy a frag or two.  That depends on if I have my new tank close to being ready.

Rodney

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2004 at 10:58pm

Purple montipora or other colors besides green, orange and brown.

Edited by BananaTropics
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 12:22am
How about anything from ORA. Can we get stuff from them? I dont think that I have seen anything come from them that wasnt just breathtaking.
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 5:37am

I'm with Shane.  There are a few ORA frags that I would love to have:

ORA Bottle Brush

ORA Green Elkhorn Hirisuta

ORA Purple Tip Nana

ORA Green Birdsnest

Any of those would be great, if possible ;-)

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 7:54am
Originally posted by rstruhs rstruhs wrote:

I know how to frag mushrooms, xenia, ricordia, etc., but it is still kind of scary!  I am coming to watch and learn!  If I am lucky I may even be able to buy a frag or two.  That depends on if I have my new tank close to being ready.

That is the whole purpose of this meeting.

Adam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 7:56am

SSpargur,

Who are you and what did you do with Sean?  The SSpargur I know wouldn't have suggested anything that wasn't a zoanthid.

Adam

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 8:20am
Those ORA coral look great but don't you think that its lighting and photography that make them look so good. (Notice the color of the fingers holding the Birds Nest.)
They don't have large pieces that can be fragged do they? And if they do, they are probably $200+

Since the purpose of the Coral Propagation Seminar is to show people how to propagate coral, we may want to be careful not to make it a look like we are a "coral frag store".

IMO, it would be best to frag hardy coral that most everyone can keep. If we were a group of only expert coral keepers we could get together to share a fancy/difficult coral. Some of that is already done here on the message board. But since most people in the club are newbies and novices, and also because of the stress imposed upon the fragged coral, we need to look at fragging mostly hardy coral.

My 2 cents

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 8:35am

Adam -

Although I do LOVE Zoanthids, SPS is my primary love!  I was just joking about getting those corals as I do agree with Mark about having the more hearty corals so that the frags that are sold do live.

Mark - the photos were supposedly taken under 400w 10k lights suplimented with actinics.  It does appear to be some heavy actinics though.  I'm actually getting ready to order those 4 frags.

Edited by SSpargur
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 8:53am
A little off track but I would like a free table at the meeting... I have some stuff laying around that itsnt worth the trouble of trying to sell it. Can we have a table that is labeled free and if you want it, its yours..... Example: I have two plastic needle work thingies that work great for the ref., Misc plumbing parts, bulb still in box that never got used and I no longer have the ballast, extra test kits.. and so on..... If no one wants it to the garbage can it goes... 
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 11:39am

Originally posted by Connie Connie wrote:

A little off track but I would like a free table at the meeting... I have some stuff laying around that itsnt worth the trouble of trying to sell it. Can we have a table that is labeled free and if you want it, its yours...

I second that (E)motion. 

Adam, some cool Zoo's would be great.  Are there any SPS that can be easily fragged into many pieces?  Or how about something like a Sarcophyton Elegans or a Sinularia.  Of course I just mention those two because I'm such a softie.

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 12:07pm
Hey will - I just got a sarcophyton elegans (finally after looking all over for quite a while to get a good specimen) a little while ago. It has almost doubled in size since I got it. Give it another month or so and I can frag you some.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 12:12pm
anything bright colored or BLUE (real blue, not purple or some shade of blue...)
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 12:56pm

I have a request... Rename the meeting to FragFest or FragStock. That way people do not get the misconception that they will learn how to frag.

Or... hold off the Frag-For-All and teach. I was really really disappointed the first one of these I attended. I was ready with notebook in hand. This club has more new members than ever, and most of us/them have no clue how to properly slice open or score or break off their corals.

Make those who are only there to get frags or make a profit wait until last to get delve into the fragadellic freakout.

For whatever it's worth...

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by ssilcox ssilcox wrote:

Hey will - I just got a sarcophyton elegans (finally after looking all over for quite a while to get a good specimen) a little while ago. It has almost doubled in size since I got it. Give it another month or so and I can frag you some.

I actually have a gorgeous specimin myself.  I suggested it because: I think it is a cool coral, It is relatively easy to frag with a great probability of not only living, but thriving, and I want one in my other tank, but couldn't bear to frag the one I have.  If they were fragging one at the seminar or someone else was fragging one though, I would definately get a piece.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic