Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOB refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOB refugium
    Posted: July 01 2004 at 12:55pm

I think I've decided on making my HOB fuge 12Hx15Lx6W. Now for the questions:

How far from the top and sides should the holes be for the PVC?

What size PVC should I use? I was thinking 1/2"

Any suggestion on baffle height/ distance from ends?

Finally, does it need to be level like most HOB filters do?

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2004 at 5:41am
That's a lot of weight to hang on the back of any tank! I wouldn't do that. It ought to be supported underneath.

Maybe I missed something in a previous thread, but please explain where the PVC is going. If it's for moving water to and from the refugium by drilling holes in tank and refugium, I have a better idea. Having the top level of the refugium slightly above the tank with a powerhead in the main tank pumping water into the refugium and a spillway on the refugium allowing the water to drop back into the tank, would be the best, IMO.

If I understand what you are thinking of doing no baffles are needed. Baffles get in the way of algae growth and hamper your ability to work with and in the refugium. The reason some refugia/sumps use baffles is to keep algae, air microbubbles and sand away from the inlet to the external pump (can be damaged by sand) or the skimmer. Some people think that baffles are needed to make the water move faster. In actual practice, the best refugia are like semi-stagnant tidal pools where life grows thick and heavy.

Level? The water, algae, bugs, and critters do know which way is down!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2004 at 12:25pm

No I wasn't planning on drilling the tank, just the refugium. The PVC is the goes-intas and the goesoutas for the refugium. A powerhead was going to pump water from the tank into the refugium and then gravity was going to be the return. The design is similar to the CPR aquafuge and pictures are here of what I'm thinking of doing  http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&thread id=31728.

Weight is a concern of mine (actually number two after the acrylic giving way) I'm not as concerned about the tank tipping though as just stress on everything... then cracking... then a swamp in my bedroom.

I was under the umpression that baffles were to slow water flow, keep the sand from being disturbed from the input and to keep the algea away from the output

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2004 at 2:21pm

Search around here.  I recommend at least 1.25" pvc and I would definately put baffles in it.  I built a few of them before.  Other's have too, and I remember seeing pics of them on this site.

I made mine 18" by 6" and it was 14" deep.  About 7 gal of water in it (I think). 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2004 at 2:51pm

Adam,

What size tank did you have it on?

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2004 at 4:12pm

I have one right now on my 30 gal.  Anything over 30 gal I would probably go with a sump/refugia.  Anything smaller I would go with a HOB. 

Adam

vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 1:47pm
Here's the warplan.
McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 1:56pm

I got the pieces from Profession Plastic in Kaysville. Actually I went in there to find out how much it was going to cost to have cut/drilled and they ended up doing it while I waited.

The bottom of the drill holes are 8" from the bottom. Hopefully I'm going to make it to Lowes tonight to get some glue (weld-on?) and the PVC.

Per Mark's suggestion I'm going to also support it from the bottom (just got to change stands first)

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 1:26pm
Swing... and a miss. Looks like I'm going to have to go down to SLC and get some weld-on there.
McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 1:32pm

I would make four holes with pvc fittings, not two.  It is amazing how many holes you need for the water to get out and not overflow.  Also, it disperses the weight over four points, not two. 

Then, I use a piece of foam on the top of the tank, under all four pvc fittings, to make sure they are all dispersing the weight.  If you happen to drill one just a bit too low, then it bares the weight, and the whole thing wobbles.

Adam

vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2004 at 9:05am
I wonder... on the return from the refugium inside the refugium, Could I use straight PVC instead of an elbow or would that cause bubbles?
McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2004 at 11:13am

Alright,

So I've made the "box" and am in hour 12 of water testing. No leaks when I left for work but...

pics soon

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 1:17pm

Sweet the box hasn't leak... now on to the PVC glueing.

BTW if anyone is in need of PVC glue, primer or Weld-on 4 I may be able to help

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2004 at 9:01am

Tonight's the night. The PVC and silicone is going to be cured and it's time for the last water test!!

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic