FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MH vs T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MH vs T5
    Posted: October 25 2008 at 9:49pm

I just thought that I would ask the question on here.  Im sure that it has been asked a million times so I will make it a million and one.  I have T5's on my tank now but I have been running thoughs of putting MH on it.  What are some of the good things about it and what are some of the bad.  On a 90gal tank with MH will I have to run a chiller durning the summer?  What has worked for you that have them to keep your tank temp just right?  How often do you have to change out the bulbs on MH?  What color do most of you like the best 10K, 14K, 20K?  Sorry about asking everyone this but I have been playing with the idea for the last month or so and I cant make up my mind on what I want to do.  So I thought that I would pick all of your brains on this.  Also could you please give me your pro's and con's about them.  Like problems you have had with them and things like that.  Thanks for helping me so I can make up my mind on this.

pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 9:59pm

alot of people run 2x 25w mh on a 90, with no need for a chiller maybe a fan or 2. also i prefer 20k or 14k. 10 k is too white.

pitiful guppy tank.
shane

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 11:03pm
T5`s are good lighting ... however I am a Halide fan! .. I love them .. we run 2 250 watt MH over a 60 gallon and its fine .. we do have to run a small fan over the sump in the summer but no big deal ... I also run 2 250 watt over a 140 gallon that has the same foot print as a 120 but deeper .. and it seems to have more heating issues than the 60 gallon tank .. but as long as our fan is on over the sump its great ..

I like 14K bulbs however we do supplement with 2 46.5" VHO Actinics. All mine are HQI (Double ended) .. so we change out the bulbs once a year ...

I don't think you will have heat problems over a 90 ... just make sure they are well ventilated ...

Edited by thebutler4 - October 25 2008 at 11:05pm
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 11:53pm
Thanks for your answers what about everyone else out there?
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 1:55am
I have been planning my 90 for over a year now. I have flip flopped back and forth between this same question. I am going to put T5's over my tank. The most beautiful tank I have seen is all T5's on it. The only plus I see in MH is the "shimmer" effect. They run extremely hot and you can "sunburn" corals if you aren't careful. Plus the fixture I wanted with MH is two times that of the T5 one I will be getting. I am a T5 supporter myself but don't think you can go wrong with either one. Is the "shimmer" worth it to you? I don't see any other advantage unless your tank is 30" deep or more.

There is a great thread on RC about T5's and all the latest PAR readings on them. Look for GrimReefer's thread about it all. It was that thread that convinced me that T5 was the way to go.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 2:17am
I had a little trouble with 2 250w MH 10k on my old 120 even with a fan it got a tad warmer than i liked. I know that it helps a lot too keep the tank cooler if its in a basement. Mine was on the main floor so maybe that helps. I did have a controller turn my MH off when the water got to warm and I had a 7 inch fan in the sump.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 10:03am
On my "temporary" tank (which is a 55g), i run 2 x 250w MH with 2 x 54w T5HO's and the tank is doing great.  Its the same setup I had for my 120. The only thing I different is I limit the MH's to 4 hours a day.  The MH ads the shimmer effect that I love, while the T5's help make the colors "pop".
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

freetibet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freetibet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 1:45pm
t5 baby.  runs cool,  the color of my corals are awesome.  runs cool., i do get the shimmer effect if u have a good water movement on the surface.  did i say it runs cool. less money to run..i have had my t5 for 4 weeks and love it..
40 breeder, TEK T5 6x39 7 months

Quote by Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama
"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

Salt lake city,Ut
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by freetibet freetibet wrote:

less money to run..

how many watts are you running over your tank? .. and how large is your tank?

here is the thing ... you are running 6 39 watt T5`s at 234 watts .. when you can run 1 175 watt MH to do the same thing ... and have room at add actinics for the color.

Also .. There was a discussion here a while back ... t5`s and VHO`s put out just as much heat as a halide does .. if you take your T5 .. and squash it down to the size of a MH bulb .. its going to get just as hot ...

dont get me wrong .. I like the look of T5 tanks .. but your argument has a few holes  in it .. Embarrassed

Edited by thebutler4 - October 26 2008 at 1:56pm
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by freetibet freetibet wrote:

.... did i say it runs cool. less money to run..

I think that is a very subjective statement. a watt = a watt, therefore if you have your 6-39w t5's that would equal 234 total watts.... Im sure you could easily light a 40g breeder tank with 1 - 150w MH with 2 22w pc's  which is 194 total watts(what i had on my 65g) which would actually be less total watts and cost less to run.   Also on RC there has been a large discussion on whether or not t5's really run cooler or not as compared to MHs.

Edited by chk4tix - October 26 2008 at 2:02pm
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 4:25pm
I have read that about T5's running the same temp and MH but the surface area is just larger for it to be over a larger area. 
BrandonA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrandonA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2008 at 5:32pm
Being new to the hobby and someone that wants to get it right the first time, I have read and done research on a lot of lighting.  You can find posts on forums all over the place that strongly support the use of MH.  You can also find posts that strongly support T5's.  And yes you can also find a lot that strongly support the use of both.  So in my opinion it comes down to what will work/look best for you..... says the new guy.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2008 at 6:08pm
What about color of bulbs Im thinking something in the middle like the 14K  what is everyone else running and why.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2008 at 8:55pm
I just got a 6x39w T5 and I love it also. Looks about the same. I switched from a 175w MH and 2 4x24w T5 fixtures. I don't notice the MH being gone. I also think my corals pop more. My tank curently has the following bulb configuration. I think my tank has a 14k look. I also notice that my water temperature stays between 76-78 degrees. Before I would get up to 81.6.  I have my heater set to keep my water at 76. I dont have a fan on my tank. It is on the northside of the building second floor.

Front

Giesemann Actinic plus

UVL 75/25

UVL Aquasun

Giesemann Actinic plus

Giesemann Aquablue plus

Giesemann actinic plus

Edited by Matt - October 29 2008 at 8:58pm
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 7:11pm

Well I ended up ordering up a 2X250w HQI unit with 4 T5's for the Antinics.  The MH bulbs are 14K so it should have some nice color to it.  I cant wait untill it gets here so I get it on my tank.  Thanks for all the input from everyone.  If I dont like it then I can sale it and put my T5's that I have on my tank now back on.  I will post some pictures of before and after when I get it on.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 7:25pm
I'd be interested to know if you find a difference in the water temperature too.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic