FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats happening to my zooa's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 6:58pm
Thanks for the link.  There is some really great info on there.  Im going to frag it and keep the good parts in my main tank the others I will set up a QT tank and give some of the meds that they say on there a try.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 8:28pm
I would think that your main tank has the fungus spread throughout. I'm not sure how you would get rid of it except to ride it out keeping no zoanthids for a while to see if it dies off.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 8:55pm
Well I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that one the the heads on it is now open.  The bad news is that I now have a new one that is closed up.  Im keeping with the Vit C  treatment plus I was told to give it a little extra iodine in the system.  My plan is it keep them in the main system as Mark says but if it gets really bad I will pull it out and then try to do a frag to save one or two heads off of it because I really enjoy this one.
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 2:49pm

It looks to me that it is either a fungus like others have mentioned.  I have dosed with Vit C and had great results, it is a very inexpensive treatment but it also kind of really getts old dosing everyday.  If the Vit C doesnt work I would treat with Furan-2.  What Furan-2 does it attacks fungus'.  Fresh water guys use it for discus and and other fungus'.  I have had experience with using botha nd they both worked really well.  I think I got all the info on Furan-2 and Vit C some where on Reef Central.  I wish I could help more but I am going to be out of town for a week.  Good luck and Ill keep my eye on this to see if you have more questions.  Dustin

ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 6:15pm
Thanks Dustin I have been dosing Vit C for the last week and a half now.  It has stopped spreading and what had it is now dead and falling off but all the others are looking great.  I have seen some changes in all of them and one big one is more color.  It seems like all of them have better color since dosing Vit C.  I will try and take some pictures here in the next day or so and post them so everyone can see how its coming along.
idahreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 8:42pm
cut the frag away from the fungus asap!, you will be able to save the rest of the polyps, do a dip, and you should be good, the sick polyps will spread rapidly and melt your whole colony, you will know it's fungas if you smell the infected area, very stinky! good l  ps...try not to save polyps close to the infected ones, save only good viable polyps.
martin
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 8:39pm
Well after a week of watching it die off I fragged it off.  I fragged it way back just to make sure I got the healthy part.  Also Im doing a Lugol's dip on it to so I fugure that should really help it out some.  From going from the size it was down to about a 1/4 of it sucks but that is what I belive it came down to just to save them.  I will post some pictures of how small of a frag I had to take it down and also just to keep everyone updated on how it goes.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 10:32pm

Thanks for the update. I wish it was better news.

Mike

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 11:08am
Well here are the pictures that I said I would post of it after fragging it.  From the first picture it was larger than the one that is above it so you can tell how much that I ended up taking it down just to be safe.  The other is just to show how happy they are now.
s

bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 11:11am
are you still puting Vitamin C in your tank?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 11:23am
I am and since doing so I have seen alot more color to everything.  Plus the growth that has happened is just suprised me.  I really havnt taken it up as high as some people do Im keeping it at the 2000mg a day.  I add 1 1000mg tab in the morning and one at night.  I will keep on posting pictures of that or maybe I should start a new thread about it with the pictures in it.

Edited by 1fishkeeper - November 16 2008 at 11:25am
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 6:26pm
I know I am late on this, but you may want to try a freshwater and/or iodine dip.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 7:03pm
I was thinking about doing that after I had already fragged it.  Oh well it was a great learning experance for me and I hope others learned from this thread as well.
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 9:20pm

That sucks that you had to cut so much off but at least you didn't lose it all.  Thanks for keeping us posting.  It is great to know and watch when people are doing something like this.  I'm sure this post will be a great reference.

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
JWayment View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWayment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 10:46am
What form of vitamin C are you using? I have read the thread on RC, and just can't decide if that pills will work or if I should buy ascorbic acid. Also if you are adding the pill form do you crush it up? or just add the pill and let it dissolve throughout the day?

Thanks, Josh
Josh
120 gal reef
55 gal predator
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 1:23pm
I place the pill in a high flow area in my sump.
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 4:11pm
I got my Vit C from iherb.com or something like that.  It needs to be buffered vit C.  Why I am not sure but that is what they say to  buy. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Pufferpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pufferpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:38pm

Dosing Vitamin C Chart

Here you go:
Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798
$5 0ff coupon code: LUL789 (good for first purchase).

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
* If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
* If you have a question, ask at the RC forum. I check the VC thread daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 7:53am
Welcome Pufferpunk!

Mike

Pufferpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pufferpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 10:09am
Thanks, just trying to help out.  Did a search for different forums that have Qs on VC & found you guys. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic