FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats happening to my zooa's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats happening to my zooa's
    Posted: October 26 2008 at 4:14pm
My zooa's have been looking like this for the last week or so does anyone know whats going on with them?  Its just not the ones that are in the pictures there are a few others that are starting to go like this and ideas on how to fix it?  Thanks for taking your time with this.
Tank:
NO2-0
NO3-0
NH3-0
PH-8.2
KH-9
PO4-.25
CA-460
salt- 1.026
temp-78
Thanks for looking and helping me out.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 4:18pm
I wish I knew. It doesn't look good. I hope someone knows what to do soon.

Mike

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 4:27pm
Your telling me that they dont look good there even worst looking in person.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 5:04pm
Doesn't look like zoo pox, it just looks like they are dyeing. I stubbled on a HUGE thread off of Reef Central about dosing Vitamin C tablets (just the regular 1000 mg tablets from costco or whatever). They had some pics of some zooanthids looking the exact same way and they guy dosed with Vitamin C and over about 2 weeks they came back to full health. Heres the link (I hope it's ok to post links to another forum, if not sorry) - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1252294&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Good luck, I would hate to loose a colony as beautiful as that.

Off topic-
Questions for the mods, why do I keep getting weird A symbols when I post but when I go to edit they are not there?

Sculpin

Edited by Sculpin - October 26 2008 at 5:08pm
Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 5:12pm
here is the secret you give a frag to danner and with you being generous the zoos decide to fight for life. lol jk i hope you get it worked out
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 5:13pm
Looks like something may be growing on it. Brush it with a toothbrush and then post another pic and tell us what brushed off. Normally these coral are very tough, and they seem to like a good brushing.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 5:13pm
I found another link that might help with the vitamin C- http://www.athiel.com/lib2/pguide/vitami1.html#dose

Sculpin
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 5:24pm
I have several zoo colony's that are doing the same thing.  I had one whole colony of pink tonga zoos look like that and were dead within a week.  I am going to try the brush thing.

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 5:34pm
Well I just pulled out my tooth brush and scrub them up and this is what they look like.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 7:16pm
Well after reading through most of that thread on RC I thought what the hell I will give it a try.  I just dropped a 1000mg tablet in my sump.  I will start out by 1000 X2a day then after a week I will go to 2000 X2 a day and see how it goes from there.  I will keep everyone posted on the out come of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 9:27pm
I'm definitely interested in the outcome. I hope it is favorable.

Mike

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 7:58am
Same here I will post picture updates on the Vit C outcome for everyone here local to see if it does work. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 4:10pm
Man that looks worse than I thought. Looks to me like some sort of fungus and it seems to have spread over the entire colony. It's probably communicable too.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 4:22pm
I hope you can figure it out... keep us posted!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 5:49pm

Well things are not looking better its gone to more heads on it.  I will post some pictures here in just a few mins of it now.  It looks like it has some small white spots on them also other than just the yellow color to them.

bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 6:03pm

I would frag a piece that isn't showing the fungus and see if the frag opens when it is away from the source. you could frag off the infected area?

superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 6:10pm
I just read the RC thread on Vitamin C... and I think I'm going to start trying this tonight.  I have all but given up on Zoas, because nothing I do seems to keep them alive, and I'm sick of buying cool ones, only to watch them die... anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.

-Tim
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 6:10pm
Some picture updates for everyone.  Its not looking to well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 9:34pm
I would call Jared Butler (jbutler) and see what he advises.

Mike

Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 2:27am

That definatly looks like zoa fungus. If you have the means to quarentine any infected coloines, do so. From what I understand it is very similar to normal fungus in that there are spores which can spread throughout a given system. I had limited luck with an Iodine then hydrogen peroxide dip on my outbreak.

Reading:
Also there were some other threads on the subject over at RC.com

Good Luck

-pinner

In SLC Near Downtown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic