Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASM mod god's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 11:59am
I emailed those that requested the fax. Dewcloud1 is right....this mod will only help you fine tune the skimmer, but I do recommend it. It's an easy mod that will help out. I ordered the gate valve online and picked up the rest at Lowes. If you want to spend a few bucks more to save the hassle, here's a link. http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/ASM-Gate-Valve-Kits/c51/index.html?osCsid=sm38dola2robql7bp26ji84do7
There are two possible configurations listed, the T on the skimmer outlet and the T after the gate valve. I found better success with the T after the gate valve, but try it and see what you like.
Drilling out the venturi did seem to help. I also drilled a new hole in the volute for the ozone intake and that seemed to help as well. The meshmod makes a bigger difference.

90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

Sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....and then it hits me
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 12:49pm
I have heard many stories about the mesh mod, yes it works great by chopping up the bubbles, but it also changes the wattage the pump pulls causing it to burn out, so be careful.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 6:57pm
I can understand that because its putting more stress on the motor.  Good point Thumbs Up it has a new motor on it because I just had to replace it now Im kicking myself in the butt for not taking out the neetle wheel out of the old one for a extra.
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 7:12pm
I did the mesh mod and my pump went out, and to be honest I really didnt see that much of a diffrence in my oppinion.  I noticed more of a diffrence with a modded venturi.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 11:11pm
I doubt the meshmod itself caused the pump to fail. If the mod didnt make much of a difference I would say it was due to the pump already failing. Ive modded a g1, g2 and a g3. All performed 100+% better. most are a couple years old now and are still kicking around. I personally wouldnt own a ASM with out the mod. But its JMO.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
dons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 1:25pm
Thanks Dduts for the papers.  I just need to go find the gate valve.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 3:11pm
Im thinking I will have to order one online because I called around to alot of plumbing supply stores and pool supplys and no one carrys them. 
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 3:40pm
http://hardware.hardwareandtools.com/search?w=6844864
I does have a metal screw on the handle though. I just removed it...handle can just slip on and off now.
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2008 at 9:30pm
A "proper" meshmod will by no means cause the pump to burn out or shorten the life in any way.  A "burnt up pump" is caused by improperly trimmed mesh which has A. too much mass or most likely B.  Too large diameter which rubs the volute when the wheel "spools up". 
When meshmodding the mesh should be no larger than the impeller disk, it is tempting to make it larger because more mesh = more bubbles, right? 
Not at all, the mesh when properly done retains the same wattage and power factor as the stock needlewheel or water impeller for that matter.  Using a pump as a needlewheel actually lowers water as a water/air slurry is easier to pump than straight water.

So, what is the best thing to do, buy a kilawatt meter, they can be had often locally or online, i bought mine from a harbor freight store, less than $30 and they will display water and power factor PF, which is a measure of efficiency, check your pump before mods to get wattage, then after the mesh mod, if it is much higher than stock check the mesh and trim it back on the impeller until it is close to spec.

The sedra pumps which both ASM and euroreef use are helped a ton by meshmodding, also porting the volute and changing the venturi will also help significantly.

ASM pumps are notorious for the impellers swelling as well, if you are having startup issues or high wattage draw check your impellers if they are swollen they need replaced....

Sorry for the long post, ask away with any other questions.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2008 at 12:05pm
Thats some great info you just added.  Thanks for clearing it all up for everyone that didnt know for sure.
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 10:56am
Here is a link for the meter, its a great way to cut electric usage in your house as well, you'd be surprised how many things are pulling more watts than you figured
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93519

JWayment View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWayment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 11:07am
Hey dew2loud1,

Did you build the venturi in the link you posted earlier in the thread, if you did would you mind posting pictures of it? Also how is it performing? I am thinking of building one for my G2.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh
120 gal reef
55 gal predator
RUDEDOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUDEDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 1:58pm
Hello,

I am wondering if I can get a copy of the gate valve mods and mesh mods for the ASM G2 Skimmer?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Rudy
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 12:48pm
I'm looking for some PF4 to do my meshmod. Does anybody have extra that I can buy?

Thanks,
Dan
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 4:34pm
Rudedog,
I'll see if I still have a copy of that gate valve mod paper. Let ya know tomorrow hopefully. As far as mesh mod, you can google it and find a bunch of info on it. RC has HUGE threads with mod info on them. Here's something a little lighter...
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=26439

Dan
I've got a bit of enkamat left. I'm just over in Taylorsville
It will cost you one million dollars Wink
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 6:45pm
Wow, one million $$. That mesh better be made of gold.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 9:42pm
Dang it...it isn't. I guess it will have to be free then.
PM sent with contact info
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 10:33pm
Awesome, I really appreciated it. I hate waiting for it by mail. Now I better not destroy the propeller during the mod.

Dan
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 11:19am
Rudy
check your email. I just sent that to you. It's a little dark from the fax, but it should be ok.

90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

RUDEDOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUDEDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 11:02pm
Hi Darren

Thank you for sending me the information on the mesh mods.Clap

Rudy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic