Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Do you Raise Your ORP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Do you Raise Your ORP?
    Posted: November 05 2008 at 4:20pm
Ever since this last weekend when my ORP dropped dramatically, I've been having problems in trying to get it back up. It's stabilized but continues to meander around 295-310 and I would like to get it back to 375-400 again. 

Are there any tricks to naturally raising ORP? I don't want to have to use Ozone again but if thatis what it's going to take I will.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Sculpin
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 5:10pm
Ozone is how I keep mine at a steady 400
www.captivereefing.com
gobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2008 at 9:40pm
 May be try opening a window close by your tank . mine flactuates in the winter due to the wood burning stove running all the time , But slowly cilmbs back up when i open a window.
135 with vhos
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2008 at 9:57pm
reduce co2/ improve oxygen, it happens a lot this time of year, open a window or try to get some fresh air for a while.  A lot of people run their skimmers air intake outside so its always pulling in fresh air.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2008 at 11:06pm
I found out that it was just simply my probe that was faulty but I still bought an Ozone unit and a new probe. I found out that my ORP was actually around 320 after the new probe settled in. I now run my ozone, regulated by my Aquacontroller, and my ORP is now stable at 375. I can sleep soundly now. Thanks for all your help.

Sculpin
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by dew2loud1 dew2loud1 wrote:

reduce co2/ improve oxygen, it happens a lot this time of year, open a window or try to get some fresh air for a while.  A lot of people run their skimmers air intake outside so its always pulling in fresh air.

Kyle -

do you think an outside skimmer airline would make a noticeable difference in ORP value? (Just trying to get the wife's OK on drilling a hole down into the crawlspace and outside Confused)

Now you have got me wondering as to the possibility that low ORP / O2 level may have contributed to me losing several SPS frags to RTN recently when everything else looks fine (corals/ fish/inverts) and all my other parameters seem normal... a possibility? My house is rather "air tight" I could imagine the CO2 level being higher now that winter is here and all the windows and doors are closed...) ?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 2:41pm
The O2 level in the aquarium is a very minor player in ORP.  I don't think an airline from the outside would do much of anything to ORP.  But it will have an effect on dissolved CO2 levels, which pretty much dictate pH in marine systems.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

The O2 level in the aquarium is a very minor player in ORP.  I don't think an airline from the outside would do much of anything to ORP.  But it will have an effect on dissolved CO2 levels, which pretty much dictate pH in marine systems.

Well that's the thing, Jon - my pH is pretty stable at 8.1 - 8.3 and has not dropped with the advent of the colder weather and everything being closed up to outside air.

I'm just "grabbing at straws" thinking about my SPS stuff and why 3 or 4 small pieces would all RTN within a few days of each other, while other small SPS pieces nearby were unaffected and continue to look good...

Edited by carlso63 - December 22 2008 at 2:46pm

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 2:52pm
Carlos, I'm sure you've been at this long enough to know that sometimes s**t happens for no good (or known) reason.  You obviously have good circulation and good indoor CO2 levels if your pH is there so I'm sure O2 levels are good too.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Carlos, I'm sure you've been at this long enough to know that sometimes s**t happens for no good (or known) reason.  You obviously have good circulation and good indoor CO2 levels if your pH is there so I'm sure O2 levels are good too.

Yes, just another reason why SPS will never be my favorite (I'll take Acans, Blastos, Duncans, Elegances and Euphyllias over Acos and Millies any day!)

I'll still look to do an outside line though, because currently my modded skimmer draws so much air that it is quite (annoyingly) noisy unless I use a silencer - which, in my case, also cuts down the air draw as it "silences" things... so to go for "max air" I'd rather just have that "sucking" noise out of earshot...

- Bob (BTW, not Carlos Wink)

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 3:41pm
Bob (BTW, not Carlos Wink)

Dang, I knew that too!  LOL
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 3:45pm
I'm with you Bob, most SPS are so sensitive that anything may set them off. There are so many beautiful and interesting soft and LPS coral. I keep a few SPS just for fun.
I also know many simple tanks that have decent ORP without any external equipment. I have rarely worried about it since there are so many alternate indicators and aspects of tank health.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 3:51pm
Have to agree with Mark on this one.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 3:57pm
Bob, may I politely suggest a message board name change?

Mike

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Bob, may I politely suggest a message board name change?

Mike

How do you do that? I looked at the "profile" page and the "username" did not appear changeable there - although it obviously can be done (Dion, for example)...

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 4:05pm
If you want to change then just PM any of the board administrators (me included) with the desired name and we will change it for you. After the change you will have to use the new name to sign in. Your password will not change. (Password changes are done by you.)

Mike

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 4:30pm
PM sent Mike Big smile

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 5:17pm
ya know .. every year in the winter my SPS looks like crap.. I have had total SPS crashes .. and this year looks no different ... although I did run my skimmer air intake out side today .. so we will see if that changes anything ... BTW all prams are prefect .. (or close to them) ... but I dont have a way to test my ORP ... If someone would like to test it for me please let me know ..

OO and another I notice .. I get a lot more green algae on the glass .. I have to scrape it once a day .. sometimes twice ... but again only in the winter when the house is closed up .. PH is stable at 8.3 too .. so I dont think its a CO2 problem ..

Edited by ReefBones - December 22 2008 at 5:20pm
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 5:33pm
I've learned that ORP can't just be tested at one time. It takes a few days if not weeks for the ORP probes to settle down and give stable readings. After replacing mine it took over 2 weeks for it to finally stabilize to a near trustworthy reading but that was just my tank.

Over the corse of the past months I am finally getting a handle on the science of ORP and it really isn't much to stress about. I'm glad I can read and adjust my ORP but overall I was probably getting false reading for months and months due to a faulty probe and my tank has ran just fine (apart from a few hiccups). 

Sculpin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic