Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First DIY Project! VHO!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Merkley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First DIY Project! VHO!
    Posted: July 06 2004 at 7:44am

Made myself a VHO lighting system over the weekend.  I must say, I'm very impressed with the added color and intensity of these things.  Thanks for all of the answers regarding the WH7.  What a deal!

My Quesion:  I couldn't think of an easy quick disconnect device that would be water tight.  I mounted the WH7 to the bakc of my stand, so my canopy is essentially "connected" to the stand right now  What do aquarists regularly use?  I'm assuming that I could find something at Autozone or the like, but I thought I'd ask here first. 

Edited by Merkley
Adam Merkley
Salt Lake City, UT
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2004 at 8:06am
You can probably find male/female multiple wire connectors at Radio Shack (or maybe Autozone), but I would just use the ends of an extension cord.  Buy the cheapest three prong cord you can find.  If you used the WH7 you should have three red wires together, a yellow wire, and a ground is always a good idea.  Wire the three reds to the skinny prong, the yellow to the fat prong and the ground to the middle D shaped prong.  Ground your reflector and ballast.  That's what I would do and have done.
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2004 at 11:19am

The autozone connectors should well. I have a bunch in my jeep from well... it being a Jeep.

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic