Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Food for tangs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food for tangs
    Posted: March 13 2003 at 9:28pm
This may seem elementary but I'll ask anyway.  Is green leaf ok to feed  tangs or is it better to feed romaine lettuce?  If purchased from the grocery store, is just rinsing the veggies in tap water ok?   
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 9:04am

Steve,

I just had a friend kill about $300.00 of fish.  He has been using organic grown romaine lettuce with no problem.  Until he decided to go with the less expensive commerical romaine lettuce.  He washed it off with tap water and put it in his tank, within two days, he lost a Yellow Tang, Purple Tang (from the Red Sea,) Rabbit fish, Naso Tang with the trails on the tail and several other fish.  He could not figure out what was going on.  He took his water to the water management and they found very high counts of pestasides (sp).  The moral to this story is know what you are putting in your tank.  After finding this information out, he switched to real seaweed the stuff you can buy at a LFS.

John Fletcher "ReefAquarist"

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 9:54am

Yeah, I've heard of this too.  I have used Romaine lettuce for many years.  I highly recommend it.  But I too have seen times when after rinsing, it still has a devastating affect and kills everything.  Rare, but it does happen.  I still think Romaine is one of the best things that happened to the hobby during the 90's. 

But, to answer your question.  No don't use green leaf.  It isn't bad, but it isn't good.  It lacks the nutrional value of Romaine.  I've used Chard, Kale, and other varieties, but my fish never went for them like they did with the Romaine. 

Hope this helps,

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 10:12am
Thanks guys I appreciate the advise.
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 10:27am

I would have to disagree with the sole use of Romaine lettuce.  Although I think this is a good food to use for wholesales, retailers, and occasionally by the hobbyist I think it lacks some important nutrients that are vital for marine fish.

My opinion:

Romaine is okay every once in a while.  Vary their diet.  This is the best way to feed your fish.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 10:54pm

I should add that I completly agree with Jake. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 7:30am
How about Nori?  Brineshrimp Direct sells it for $1.95 a pack.  I just picked up a few packages from them when I went up there to get a brine shrimp hatching kit for my sons science fair project.
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 8:33am
Nori can also be purchased at most of the local Oriental stores for about the same price or less.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 10:26pm
My fish would have to be quite starved before they would eat any lettuce.  I've tryed lettuce before and they were more scared of it than anything, but I put in a big piece of nori and its gone in a few hours.  My thing is......give my fish what they love.  I of course feed different types of flake food.....squid, brine shrimp, newly hatched brine shrimp, and any other kind of food that I think they might eat.  I know that I would hate to just have french fries all of my life.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 1:44pm
I've met someone that swears by brocoli. Anyone else heard of this? I'm considering trying a 4th time on a yellow tang. I think I've figured out all the reasons the others died. I'm still debating. The last one mysteriously disappeared while I was on vacation. My friend thinks that the anemone I had got it. I find it unlikely but we found no trace of it the day after it went missing.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 2:16pm
I will tie a piece of broccoli onto one of my magnets and throw it in - but I do this for my snails and crabs.  They go crazy over it!
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 2:27pm
do you always buy organic brocoli or just the normal store stuff?
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 2:51pm

From my garden.  I would consider it organic being I don't use any snythetic fertilizers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic