Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first suspended reef?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first suspended reef?
    Posted: December 04 2008 at 4:41pm
It was suggested by a good friend that I was a bit overconfident in my claim to have had the first suspended reef in the WMAS in 2005. Though it may have been proposed elsewhere, I'd be interested to know if anyone had seen a hobbyist anywhere with a fully suspended reef prior to mine. My idea had been inspired by Julian Sprung's WMAS presentation about the effect of water flow causing detritus to settle at the base of the rocks and an open sand bed being a way to delay or prevent old tank syndrome.

I don't doubt there was one, but by the response I heard from most hobbyists during Reef Tour 2005, mine was almost a one of a kind. If there are pics of others, please post. Here's mine:

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 04 2008 at 4:46pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 4:57pm
Wow! love the pics.  Lve the flow from the top as far as I can tell.  How do you ahve your waterflow?  Also How do you keep your Sand so clean?
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 5:02pm
What was it suspended from?

Mike

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:21pm
That really is gorgeous, Mark Thumbs Up
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

What was it suspended from?

Mike
LOLLOLLOL
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:43pm
I had a suspended 125 in 2000.  I will look so see if I have any pics.  I know tha platform I made was still being passed around a few years back (it was PC pipes with an aragacrete top).  Who was the structual concrete guy?  I think I last saw them in his tank.

Suspended reefs were all the rage when the "no substrate" movement was big.

Edited by Jake Pehrson - December 04 2008 at 7:44pm
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 7:44pm
I had a attempt at one after I saw yours...............lets just say it didnt turn out as good

Edited by Seth - December 04 2008 at 7:45pm
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 9:41pm
Was KeoDog's considered "suspended" then?

Mike

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 9:44pm
I hate my suspended reef.  Stuff gets under it and you cant get to it
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 11:29pm
What is that cool fish in the middle of the second pic.  That thing is awesome.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 11:49pm
Batfish
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 8:38am
I dont like most batfish, but that one pulls the look of pretty well.
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 9:55am
Mark,
I have suspended my tank since 2002 when I bought my 120, though I cover the pvc with rocks so that it appears solid.  I believe I had 9 inches of lift when I had it set up in the valley and reduced that to 6 when I moved.  What was interesting about my setup is that the flow between the rocks under the suspension was higher than the general flow.  If something was dropped into the tank it would be 'sucked' in between the rocks and settle under the suspension.
John
ps However, yours was truely unique!  I miss hanging out at your place and watching all that awesome macro...forget the fish!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 11:20am
Thanks Jake and Jon. Jon thanks for reminding me of your raised reef. I and others I'm sure, would really enjoy seeing pics.

To answer Mike's question, I originally wanted to suspend it from the top but realized that could be a problem if the nylon cable suspension broke, so as you know, I raised it on a platform of 1/2 inch PVC pipe. So the topic should say raised rather than suspended, but it does look like it's floating above the sand, doesn't it. Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 5:15pm
Yes it does.Thumbs Up

Mike

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Turbostud653 Turbostud653 wrote:

Wow! love the pics.  Lve the flow from the top as far as I can tell.  How do you ahve your waterflow?  Also How do you keep your Sand so clean?

The tall black 2" standpipe on the left is a modified Durso overflow. The water drains to a skimmerless RDP Refugium and then returns over the back center directed left and right. A Closed Loop intake on the right bottom returns on both bottom back corners through loc-line. The Closed Loop pump sits on a platform suspended from springs right underneath the tank, which makes plenty of room for the 40 gal breeder used for the Refugium.
The sand is Utah Oolitic which stays relatively clean anyway, but is helped by Mr. Ray when he goes looking for buried crustaceans and fish by jetting water straight down into the sand and using his mantle like an overturned bowl to keep them from escaping.
I miss this tank. Dion has taken good care of the Ray, the Batfish changed to adult form and coloration and recently passed away, and I don't know where the Tomato Clown has gone. It is a tank raised clownfish from David Tea so is probably still swimming.

Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 9:56pm
Thanks for the reply.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
drysea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drysea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 10:32pm
Those batfish juveniles are so cool. I understand the juveniles live in mangrove swamps. It makes sense, they look like a dead mangrove leaf swirling in the water. I think they get whitish and quite big as adults. I also understand they are hard on corals as adults. I could be wrong though, does anyone know for sure?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2008 at 1:32pm
Yes, they are mostly herbivores and like most herbivores will eat small shrimp and may pick at coral if there is no edible macroalgae.
fishrfriendsnotfood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishrfriendsnotfood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 12:45pm
Mike that looks freaking awesome. I especially love the ray that swims under it. AWESOME JOB!!!
Scotty "Too Hottie"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic