FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What PC bulbs to get?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What PC bulbs to get?
    Posted: December 07 2008 at 10:18am
I Bought a PC light fixture about 7-8 months back and read somewhere that you should change th bulbs every 12 months?  Anyone know if this is right? how often should i change them?  What bulbs should i buy?  Currently it has 2 10k bulbs and 2 420/460 actinic bulbs, i read for coral growth i should go with 6700k rather then 10k is that true? 
Thanks
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 11:08am
It is a compromise between growth and color. I would stick with what you have unless you are unhappy with the color.

Mike

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 12:11pm
Thanks mike, I like the coloring right now, know anything about how often i should change these bulbs?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 12:43pm

For PCs I think is is about every 8 months or so. I don't think you can get a full year out of them.

Mike

Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 1:11pm
I think that its 6 months(not like I do it that often Smile) I would say that if you are happy with it then leave it the way it is.
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 11:22am

On the same note, what light swould be good in a stock aquapod to upgrade them?

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 2:18pm
I'd say about a year is all you can get out of them.  After that they tend to make the algae grow more than the corals.  (I've been told that it is due to the color spectrum changing over time)  So when the algae grows you need new bulbs.  LOL
Make sure you take in the bulbs when you go to get new ones.  That way you know exactly what kind to get.  I also recommend saving the old bulbs, as backups, in case one of the newer bulbs burns out.  You can even put a date on the old bulbs to remind you when you replaced them.  

As for upgrading the lights... I think the only real way to upgrade is to remove the cover and hang or clip on new light, but I'm not sure.  There are some mods out there that can replace the PC with MH, but again I don't have the specifics.  I had looked into it a while ago, but it was just as much to mod the hood as to buy a whole new setup.  Ouch
One thing I have looked at that is awesome is the new JBJ HQI MH nano.  Here are the details http://www.jbjnanocube.com/index1.html 
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic