Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecomendation for Voting Procedures for 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recomendation for Voting Procedures for 2009
    Posted: December 16 2008 at 3:22pm
I have a few reccomendations I would like talked about at the next presidency meeting.

First off: No bashing of candidates by members or other hopefuls. Hopefully the current presidency will stop this kind of behavior and certainly not participate in it in future elections to come.

Second: Perhaps a shorter election process, but with suggestion one in effect this might not matter.

Third: An election committe made up of volunteers who are NOT running for presidency to collect and count votes.

Fourth: A better way to deal with absentee ballots. The ballot box suggested was a great idea.

Fifth.. This is the one I had a huge issue with:

We apparently do not have rules on who can vote or why unless they pay a membership fee. I feel that out of state members should not be eligible to vote unless there is a circumstance like deployment overseas, etc. I'm really upset that this election turned into an internet popularity contest and not a vote of a club. I see no reason why people from other clubs and other states should be allowed to join and vote for a friend. If this were the case than like i mentioned previously elections can be nothing more than an internet wide popularity contest. I could of had all 100 plus of my sorority sisters join the club for the measily 26.00 and vote for me, but that didn't even cross my mind because that would be wrong and not in the best interest in the club. I would like to see this seriously discussed to hopefully define an exceptable voting area. I'm sure you guys don't go join the idaho club and vote for their presidency members.

Thank you,
Crystal

Also this is in no way bashing adam, but I do feel that some of our rules need to be modified. I am glad adam is president as the club is in good hands. I am just upset at how the election process is handled

Edited by cl2ysta1 - December 16 2008 at 3:39pm
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 3:51pm
You know the out of area votes didn't occur to me either. Mark actually pointed out to me that since the membership is pro-rated it would be super cheap to buy up quite a few votes. I think perhaps the membership should not be prorated at all. Anyone who wants to vote should have at least invested one years worth of dues, don't you think? Has the club ever tried not prorating? How did that go? While I would not want to discourage people from joining mid-year, I think the benefits could help offset that. I agree that this is a major flaw in the election process. Even moving the elections to January instead of December would be helpful. Full year dues for the club and less hectic with the holidays. Banning out of state might not work, I think there are some people in Idaho that like to participate, but I do think something should be changed. I also think an uninvolved election committee would be good. They could monitor the posts for appropriateness as well as count the ballots.  

Wendy
Andreason's

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 4:06pm
November and december membership is not prorated. You pay for the next year and get nov/dec freeTongue
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 4:16pm
Crystal: Great suggestions! I'm sure the new presidency will discuss the elections and figure a way to streamline the process.

Wendy: memberships are prorated through November. Then the next year's dues are charged.  Essentially, if you buy a membership in Nov or Dec, you pay the full price for the coming year and get a month free.  You could buy a prorated membership in Oct in order to vote "on-the-cheap", but not in Nov or Dec.

Not sure I would support not accepting out of state memberships.  I have a hard time turning down money - regardless of the homestate of the contributor.  We do have some people from out of state that buy a membership because they use our MB, not because they attend our meetings.  Since the MB is such a large part (maybe the largest part) of our club, the physical distance between our members may continue to increase. 
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 4:17pm
I did not know that. Do the people that pay in October get mad that they didn't wait one month and get a better deal? I suppose I should familiarize myself with these things before chiming in.
Andreason's

Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 4:21pm
I hope they don't get mad. Also as far as voting in the Idaho clubs business I am a paid member there as wellWink 
I'm glad you asking questions and recommendations. Dialog is great and we all can learn something.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 4:47pm
I would disagree with not letting out of state people vote. They paid the money, they should get a voice. If you could get and extra 100 plus members to pay that would be great for the club funds. Think of the projector that could get Big smile
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 5:23pm

I dont know the vote count. Was it close enough that those 20 people put it over the top for Adam? I would wager that they didnt factor in. The presidency was in fact voted by the club members, and not an "internet popularity contest". I might be mistaken though - again I have no idea what the vote count was.

Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 5:40pm
Were the counts not released?  I don't think this is about the last election so much as how to make the process better in future years. I was concerned that for $2 anyone could have a vote. Since that is not the case I am not as concerned as I was. I do not know how past elections have gone, but there was a lot of room for improvement in this last one. I think now is a better time to discuss this than when it is time to choose who to vote for.

Wendy
Andreason's

Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 5:52pm
Your defiantly right Wendy. This is a great time. Waiting till its voting time to complain is advantageous. I know all that happened right and wrong during this voting cycle will be gone over and discussed to the full measure. Hopefully by next cycle we will have a policy in place that will please most of the skeptics.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 5:54pm
I agree also. Now is the time to get a good, solid process in place so we can avoid all the fun of last month. Wink
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 6:38pm
i'm not questioning the validity of the win, but there were quite a few things that went wrong in the election which could be ironed out for next year. I however do not see the positive side to allowing people from out of state to vote for who essentially runs our club. If all we are worried about is more money we should do fundraisers? I just dont see how the club would benefit from decisions for office being made by outside people who do not contribute to the club other than coming to speak here once.
am i wrong? Many clubs have rules on who can vote whether it be a minimum time belonged to the club.. or geographic area... or perhaps a certain number of meetings attended or a certain post count.. a small number like 25 or 50.. showing they contribute to the club and not just join so they can vote for a friend.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 6:59pm
Having a lot of posts doesn't mean your contributing to the club. Neither does being in the geographic area around the club. Maybe a member that lives in atlanta has a friend that is moving to Utah and recomends the club to that friend. Thats more of a contribution than the 10 or so posts I had arguing about star wars at 2 in the morning. Since we joined the club we have only missed 2 or 3 meetings over the last year and a half. Not to knock on a lot of the speakers but so far there have only been 2 meetings I haven't fallen asleep at (but who could sleep watching adam ocilating and undulating). Does that mean I am contributing by taking up one of the chairs for a nap? I think pretty much any rule we come up with to restrict who can vote is going to be completley arbitrary. 

I think it is more important to find a way to keep it more civilized next year instead of restricting who votes. For example, maybe having to pass a breathalizer test before posting should be implemented. Big smile
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 7:02pm
well anyways. Thanks for taking the time to bring this up at the next presidency meeting!
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 7:08pm
I'll add that I think we should just get rid of absentee ballots. 
If you want to vote, be at the meeting.  I think that would solve a lot of the frustration.

Adam
ps- as Silcox said- absentee votes, out of state votes, friends, none of that mattered in this election but it could someday.... lets just avoid it
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 7:11pm
I am ok with that idea. May solve a lot of problems. 
Andreason's

ReefBones View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I'll add that I think we should just get rid of absentee ballots. 
If you want to vote, be at the meeting.  I think that would solve a lot of the frustration.

IMO .. Bad Idea .. there are people like me out there that pay the dues to support the club but cant make it to most of the meetings do to a disability ...
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 8:21am
Why is this an issue?  The process was "Tweaked" to accomidate A few people. A hand full at the most.  Let it go......
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
jfinch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 8:34am
I like every one of Crystal's suggestions.  I'm sure the new counsel will work these issues out in their next meeting.
bannshy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 8:48am
I really believe that onlyu a handful spoke-up about these issues. I know for a fact that there are many people (not just a few) that agree with Crystal. I am impressed that this is being kept civil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic