Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Secrets of solving algae problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secrets of solving algae problems
    Posted: July 20 2004 at 11:27am
Do you have algae problems or just a small area of problem algae? Describe the problem here and the WMAS Message Board will help you.

In other words,
learn to keep it from becoming like this:        and if this is what you want it to look like:
Turn this: into this:

These pics are of the same rock. The hair algae was so bad for so long that the coralline algae and any coral had completely disappeared. The second pic shows the LR cleaned in a couple weeks and now has a chance to have beautiful pink and purple Coralline algae and coral repopulate it.

>Edit 12/16/07< The point regarding pre-emptive algae control in a reef aquarium is to employ herbivores in sufficient quantity to combat any and all algae problems. Unfortunately, most new hobbyists don't realize the need for snails, hermits, Emerald Crabs, Peppermint Shrimp, Sea Cucumbers and the like, until it's altogether too late. When a nuisiance algae bloom is in full force is not the time to say, "Oh, I guess I need to add more snails and hermit crabs!" Wink

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 16 2007 at 9:13am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2004 at 11:38am

Mark,

I think your pics are backwards.  I like the first pic more than the second.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2004 at 11:50am
Adam, you must really like hair algae.  If it was GSP, I would second your motion.
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2004 at 11:51am
Adam is a true nature boy.
That's something I've realized too. There is little bare rock on the reef. If it doesn't have algae it's got coral!

Of course the pic on the right is shortly after we conquered the algae. The owner actually scrubbed that rock with a brush (underwater in the tank), before the natural methods had fully cleaned it. If he hadn't done that it might have still had a polyp or two on it! I'm hoping, in time, to get a third pic of the same rock covered with coralline algae and a new polyp or two!

Edited by Mark Peterson
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2004 at 11:54am
That's not GSP Adam. I could get you some gorgreous frags of hair algea if you really want it. They're free.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Riley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2004 at 12:13pm
only a few of my rocks look as bad as the one on the left.  I took them out and srubbed of as much as i could.  last night I also added 2 500gal/h powerheads to increase the flow while i was running a diatomis earth filter to get as much of the junk in water.  I also started running some phosgaurd 2 days ago.  It makes me nervous becaue I have to move the tank again in 4 months when the house is done and I really do not want to battle this problem again.   I am also getting alot of red slime algea.   I have approx 200 # of live rock   100# of live sand   fish include naso tang, blue tang, bar goby, lawnmower blenny,2 tankraised perc clowns, 5 green cromis, 2 damsels.   coral includes small frags of frogspawn,hammer, large xenia that grows like a weed,multiple shooms, gsp, and 2 large leathers.   There is also approx 20 turbo snails 50+ small blue hermits.      Sorry for the lengthy message but I jeust wanted you know what Im dealing with    
Riley     Herriman
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 10:49am
RWK2002, In another thread you asked about ChemiClean. Lots of people have used it, but in my opinion, it is not good for the tank. There are a lot of organisms supposed to be growing in the aquarium. 99% of them are good while 1% are bad. Chemical treatments kill the good with the bad.

The best mothods for controlling algae are natural methods. And there are lots of natural methods that work.

For Red Slime Algae, which is Cyanobacteria (for good reading, search this MB for "cyano") there are several things that help it grow.

1) The first thing to look at is feeding. If you stop or seriously cut back on the amount of food, the cyano should disappear within a week. It would be good to know how much, what foods and how often you feed the tank, but while you are getting back to us with that info, try this:
Stop feeding for two days then feed half the usual amount for at least a week.

2) There are other sources of food for cyano besides fish food. The type, quantity and source of LR and LS can be a factor.
Do you have a pic of the tank that you could post here? If not, please describe the LR and the 100 lbs. of LS.

3) another thing is the lighting. Please tell us what your tank has. Cyano seems to grow better in lower light, though it may be that aquariums with lower light also have slower water circulation.

4) Circulation is an important item to consider and is first on some hobbyists list of factors. What kind of pumps, gph, etc. and how is the water stream(s) directed? Changing or increasing water flow has helped prevent cyano growth in some tanks.

Looking forward to your responses.
Riley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 11:48am

Thank you for your reply.   As far as feeding goes I very well could b over feeding I will take your advise and stop feeding for 2 days and ten cut down, should I still hang seaweed in the tank for the tang during this period.   I now ussualy feed 1 small cube of blood worms and 1 small cube of either mysis or brine .   The live rock is about 100# the dry lace rock from Utah, 30# of dry araganite base rock, and about 80# of various live rock from different lfs. Sand is 100# of southdown and 20# of live sand from lfs.     Lighting is provided from 384 watts of powercompact and 110 watts of helios actinic.  Circulation is provide by 2 500 gal/h powerheads and the 900+gal/h return pump.   The fish loadon the tank is provided above + 2 royal grammas that I forgot.  Thanks in advance for any additional advice  

Riley     Herriman
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 1:08pm
Absolutely no supplemental food "0"

The lace rock can be a source of phosphate which helps algae flourish. I've seen too many lace rocks covered with maroon colored cyano.

Where did the Aragonite rock come from?

Your aquarium has 14 carnivorous fish(Royal Grammas counted twice for good reason) and only 2 herbivorous fish! (Blue Tangs don't count. Generally, they are louzy herbivores.) Here's the link: http://www.utahreefs.com/SeaStar/SeaStarJunePrint.pdf

You could pick up some useful info from the June 2001 Sea Star Online. The article is titled Herbivores vs. Carnivores.

The most important part of maintaining a healthy and beautiful reef aquarium is learning to understand the balance between all it's living inhabitants and their food supply. (One of the reasons saltwater is so fascinating is because of the diversity and amount of life, from Bacteria to Tang to Mantis Shrimp. )

For example, snails are some of the most useful herbivores an aquarium can have. Twenty 1" snails in a 20-30 gal. well lit aquarium is a good number and will usually eat algae as fast as it grows. Starvation could occur if those same 20 snails were in a 10 gallon tank.

If lighting is reduced, algae growth slows and herbivores get really hungry If lighting is increased or their number decreases because of death, the algae will increase. A new tank may have little algae at first and a few snails seem to be doing a fine job, but if it is well lit and additional snails are not added, the algae will increase.

Understanding this major concept and using it in the maintenance of a reef aquarium will turn an ordinary tank owner into a true reef aquarium hobbyist.

BTW, one hermit crab for every two snails is a good rule-of-thumb

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 27 2007 at 7:15pm
lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 5:06pm

ok i have a 10 gal nano with 15 pbls of live rock some coral  3 hermits 2 snails 3 chromis which will soon be gone and the tank is coverd with hair algea i feed 10 brine every other day and keep my 96 watt corallife on 10-13 hours a day.one last thing

PLEASE HELP ME!

alexander.j.goodwin

ps...i get the feeling that some of you guys are shuning me why is this

"I will search until i find my happily ever after"-renee

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

The Air Force is where it is!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 6:01pm
Mark how about bryosis (i cant spell)? How do you get rid of that? and also valonia?

Edited by bugzme
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 7:31pm

Alex-
Add 30 snails and 30 hermits. 

Adam

lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 8:23pm
30 for a 10 gal?

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 11:37pm

Yes, I buy 50 of each for my 30 gal, and I'm cheap.

Adam

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 12:03am
How badly do you want to get rid of the hair algae? Have you read this? Ugly Green-Haired Mermaid After reading that, Adams post should make sense.

You feel shunned? I'm guessing that most if not all of us feel uncomfortable with being a counselor/therapist, especially when the purpose of this forum is reefkeeping. We hope to help you with your aquarium and some of us badly wish we could help with your personal life, but being in another state makes that almost impossible. We are all friends here and many of us get together at least once a month. We do care about you and are sorry that the distance separating us prevents us from getting to know you better and being able to be closer friends.

If you want more help after you read about the Ugly Green-Haired Mermaid, please read the February 2002 Sea Star Online to help you get started with controlling that bad algae.
lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 12:06am
i have not posted anything personal latly have i

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 12:26am
We are answering you now, are we not?
lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 11:20pm
i only wanted to know so you could help me with my REEF TANK

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 11:33am
Lex0219, We've given you some ideas. What are you going to try, to control that algae?
lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 8:42pm

28 hermits

4 snails

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic