Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anemone Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
viper121st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper121st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anemone Question
    Posted: December 29 2008 at 10:50am
I have a Green anemone in my 38 gal but it has lame lights in it. would it be better to put him in my 55 with better lights that i have coral in now?
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2008 at 11:17am
With any anemone the more light the better.  But introducing it into a new tank does risk getting corals stung when it tries to find a new spot.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

viper121st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper121st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2008 at 11:21am
ok well i had an anemone that i got from petsmart and he did ok was eating ok moving around the tank and got sucked into the filter intake and died the next day, the water tested fine so i had to assume it was the getting sucked into the intake that killed him, now i got this green one and he is eating well but moved to where the other one died so im a little concerned.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2008 at 12:34pm
There is a simple mod you can do to keep them from getting sucked into an intake.

I assume you mean that Alk, Ca, and N compounds are within range?

What kind of anemone. Lame lights are okay for some anemones.

The common water tests are the absolute basic minimum. But that cannot give a hobbyist the complete picture of whether a tank is a good environment for an anemone. There are so many more variables...
Feel free to tell us more and post a pic too.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I assume you mean that Alk, Ca, and N compounds are within range? . . .
The common water tests are the absolute basic minimum. But that cannot give a hobbyist the complete picture of whether a tank is a good environment for an anemone. There are so many more variables...
Feel free to tell us more and post a pic too.

What else are you referring too?  the only other thing that i test for is phostphate and my anemones do quite fine.  I am newer to keeping them so is there something else i should be testing for to ensure a longer life?
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 1:25pm
IMHO, anything less than MH is not ideal for an anemone.  PC and VHO, they will survive, but in MH they with thrive.  Mine has split twice a month until I gave it all away (Orange Bubbletip).  Started to over take my tank and sting everything in sight and boy did they roam around.  My percs would hop from home to home and they feed them too.
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by sterling18 sterling18 wrote:

IMHO, anything less than MH is not ideal for an anemone.  PC and VHO, they will survive, but in MH they with thrive.  Mine has split twice a month until I gave it all away (Orange Bubbletip).  Started to over take my tank and sting everything in sight and boy did they roam around.  My percs would hop from home to home and they feed them too.

I disagree.

I have added anemones, in my 24 JBJ nano with standard PCs, for going on a year and a half.  There are 8 anemones in there.  I feed them about once every week or two, when they open their mouths or reach for the food.
The first one I got was pretty small (now three med, two still in the tank one moved to another),  I got another one and it did well (it is now two huge anemones), I got a small rock/ flower anemone that is now huge, I put one of the split rose anemones (yet another split from the one in a diff tank w/VHO, that one has split at least 5 times) The rose is now three happy ones, and finally I got another rock/flower anemone that is growing more everyday.

I'll put up pics a little later.

"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 8:51pm
What I meant is that there are many variables of Reef aquarium water chemistry and ecology. Unfortunately, these are things we cannot test for. That is why I always ask to see a pic. For me a pic is invaluable. I base my advice on what I see, as much as on what I read. I have also been known to stick my nose close to the water and take a sniff. I can tell a lot by the smell.Embarrassed
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 9:57pm
CrimsRayne,

That's pretty cool that you were able to provide an environment for your anemone to thrive.  From my experiences, they only took off when I switched from PC to MH.  I haven't tried T5HO's yet.  From what I gathered on RC and on my local reef club, most folks who had MH enjoyed their anemone and watched them split and thrive.

Your feeding is greatly enhancing their ability to thrive also.  I hardly feed mine when I had them.  I found that my perc's would do all the feedings.  Heck, when I tried to feed a silverside, the perc's took that as a threat.  LOL.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 10:03pm
I have keep them under T5HO's and MH and I can tell a big difference between the two of them.  Under the T5's they did great but now that I have MH wow they really have taken off.  Plus the colors that I got from them being under MH makes them look so much better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic