Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another "light height" question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another "light height" question
    Posted: December 30 2008 at 10:23pm
I am in the process of redoing my lighting system on my 120g.  I previously had 2 - Single ended metal halides that were approximately 8 inches of the water and the t5's were about 4 inches off the water.  Since these were attached to PFO reflectors I wasn't really able to adjust the height on them.  Now that I am using 2 - DE pendants and I have built light holders for my t5's (2 on each holder),  I will have the ability to mount them from just off the surface of the water to about 10" above.  So I am asking for suggestions on the best placement of the lights.  I hear that the DE put off more directed light in comparison to the SE mh's, so will I need them higher?  Also should the t5's be the same height/higher/lower then the mh's?

Thanks
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 10:26pm
My MH's are ~6" off the water in a 2 ft tall tank.
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 12:26am
for a 2' wide tank I would for for 8-9" on the MH depending on the light spread from the reflectors, salt spray from the pumps and heat transfered to the water from the lights and 4" on the T5HO. If the T5HO are strictly supplemental then I might adjust that higher for better spread on the sunrise/sunset cycle and to give you more room when trying to stick your arm in the tank.

Mike

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 12:52am
Thanks.  I guess I will have to "play" with the height of the pendants tomorrow to see if I can see how the spread of the light is.  Also the t5's will be mostly for supplemental but it will also be used to light the tank during time the mh's are off
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic