Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY mod for Nano-Cubes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY mod for Nano-Cubes
    Posted: January 01 2009 at 3:13pm
Well I wanted to show everyone an awesome mod I found. It is a rack to put in nano cubes that holds filter floss so you can easily remove the floss and throw it away.

Let me tell you why I did this first. I do not like sponges in tanks. They hold the crap of the tank and eventually become nitrate factories. So I had no spnge to remove free floating particles out of my tank. I always had little floaties. So I found this and made it.

STEP 1

These are the tools you need:

Scissors
Dikes
Egg Crate
Zip Ties
Whatever filter floss you want. (I used the plain white but would do carbon or phosphate next time.)

STEP 2

Put rack together with zip ties.

STEP 3

Put rack in chamber one or wherever your water flows into the back of the cube.

Make sure the floss is right at the water level. You want the water to hit the floss first if that makes sense. You don't want space between the floss and water flowing in. You want the free floating particles to land on the floss and stay put so you can easily remove it and discard it. Also make sure the floss fits in the back nice and snug. You want all the water to hit that floss before going anywhere else so nothing escapes.

If you have any questions just ask. Within 2 days of doing this mod my tank is much clearer and the floss is getting dirty!

Edited by rtparty - January 01 2009 at 3:15pm
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 11:56pm
nice little mod.  I have wondered how to add a little floss to the tank besides just shoving it in the hole back there. 
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Humuhumu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humuhumu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:40pm
Sure looks nice and clean. You mention some advantages to using "floss". Can you expand a little because I have a big chunk of foam (as equipped). Also, are you just throwing the "dirty" floss away or rinsing it off and placing it back in? And everyone uses egg-crate, where do you buy it?

And please watch your language, "side cutting wire snippers" is the preferred name! Just Kid'n Embarrassed My employeer has to call them that because of "potential sexual harassment"! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:25am
I like using the floss because I can just pull it out and throw away. With the sponges JBJ gives you it is hard to get them out. You squeeze the crap out of them when you fight to get them out and the filth leeches back into the tank. I wanted to avoid that. I rinse the floss once and then throw away. I replace it every 2 weeks or so. You have to clean it weekly but could probably get away with using it for a month. Just rotate it.

Sorry I will use the correct terms next time! Big smile
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:29am
You get the eggcrate at home depot in the lighting department
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Humuhumu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humuhumu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I like using the floss because I can just pull it out and throw away. With the sponges JBJ gives you it is hard to get them out. You squeeze the crap out of them when you fight to get them out and the filth leeches back into the tank. I wanted to avoid that. I rinse the floss once and then throw away. I replace it every 2 weeks or so. You have to clean it weekly but could probably get away with using it for a month. Just rotate it.

Sorry I will use the correct terms next time! Big smile

Awsome DIY! Clap I'll to that tomorrow. Just need the floss and the plastic.
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 1:19am
SWEET!! I will also steal ur idea! Thanks
75 Reef
55 Reef

stevej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 10:54pm
hey Ryan, you didn't happen to measure those pieces before you put them in your tank did you?  I'm going to make one this weekend and I'm not sure how big to make it. Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 12:26am
It is like 26 squares by 4 squares on the tall one and the smaller piece is like 4x4 i think. I can't remember exactly
kgross View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 6:26pm
Nice idea.

Kim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 7:24pm
BUMP!

Just wanted to bump this up for anyone that may be new with a nano cube.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 8:01pm
Hay Ryan,

I am going to link this post to my Quick Reference Thread if you don't mind. That mod or something similar could be used for several uses.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 8:34pm
Go ahead Burt
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 9:59pm
Very nice Ryan!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 9:59pm
man I still need to do this to mine! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 11:49pm
Jeremy let me know when you want me to build you one. Maybe I should try and set up a group build and everyone can pay me like 5 bucks for them. I know this setup will work with the JBJ Nano cubes and the new Aqua Euro tanks. Not sure if they can be used on BioCube's or the Red Sea stuff.

All I need is the measurements of the compartment it goes in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic