Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"thinning" Xenia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jeffm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "thinning" Xenia
    Posted: January 01 2009 at 4:30pm
My Xenia seems to be thinning. It's open and seems happy, but the stocks aren't as fat as they were a week ago when I got them. Especially noticeable at the base. They opened almost immediately when I put them in my tank. The Pom Pom has also attached to nearby rock, which I think would be a good sign. But the pulsating one is not pulsing. There's a lot out there about this (a lot of it contradicting each other about iodine, flow and lighting) I realize pulsing is not a indication of health. But the thinning has me worried.

thoughts?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 10:16am
IodineWink Much needed. Flow= moderate, light low to high. Its hard to diagnose a coral that has only been in the tank for a week. It could have preexisting issues or someone in your tank is eating it or.......
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
jeffm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 11:41am
I just started iodine yesterday. I also looked at my light timer. I had my PCs set to only 7 hours. (2 VHOs about 10 hours) I was trying to get rid of algae - which has is mostly gone. Maybe that has something to do with it. I upped the time.

They're really looking weak. Melting.

Jeff Martin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 12:22pm
IMO pulsing is an indication of health and of water flow.
Turn off the circulation and watch them pulse like mad. In the wild they grow in the back lagoons where the water is less turbulent and a little "dirty". In that lower flow environment, pulsing is a way to breathe, eat and do that other business.
If they are melting then you may have to wait it out and hope they return in time. Here is a link to a good reading about this coral in an old WMAS Sea Star Newsletter. The article is titled "Lessons of Xenia"  http://www.utahreefs.com/SeaStar/wmasSeaStarJn00.pdf
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 12:26pm
Cool Mark, Your the man!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 12:29pm
Thumbs Up
BTW, winter seems to be the worst time for Xenia.
Xenia can be very sensitive to things that are not a problem for any other coral.
If the Ozone was too high, even temporarily, that could have set it off.

P.S. How do you do that in your avatar?

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 02 2009 at 12:43pm
jeffm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 1:49pm
Even with flow off they don't pulse. I was thinking about your comments in the other post regarding my tank still being too new, too clean. I've dialed back the Ozone and moved it to a lower flow spot. Hopefully that with the iodine will help. Wait and see.

thanks again for your help Mark.

PS it's just an animated GIF done in Photoshop. I think there are other cheaper Adobe products that can do animated GIFs as well.
Jeff Martin
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 5:30pm
Smile I had Xenia growing well, then in November it started deteriorating in one of my tanks, even while other coral were doing fine. A small piece has recently come back and is going strong. In another tank the Xenia never was growing that fast and is still looking just fine. I have not added any Iodine. I believe my tanks get enough in the food I feed.Thumbs Up
jeffm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 1:19am
Xenia started pulsing tonight.Smile Not sure if it was the added Iodine or the longer light time or maybe it just needed time to adjust. Hopefully it will continue to improve.
Jeff Martin
Humuhumu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humuhumu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:10pm
I have a Xenia that I got as a small frag just a month or two ago from another member. It grows like a weed in my 12g with CPs. Mine tends to slowing migrate across the rocks.

Any-who, I've never heard about adding iodine (since I'm pretty new to this). If my xenia seems happy should I be adding any? What are the consiquences if there is already enough and I add more? Will it kill other corals?

Sorry for running off with your topic.
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:43am
I have had my pom poms in multiple tanks with different flows and light conditions.  In my low light tank (regular flourescents), it grew slower, had longer stocks, was darker in color, and didn't pulse much at all.  It is pretty flexible where it will grow, but I feel it does best in medium light (PCs, T5, or low in the tank with MHs).  Although it pulses better in a gentler flow, it does like flow.  The stocks stay very compact with a strong indirect flow and medium to high light.  I swear by iodine and dose it when the pulsing slows, but I rarely dose a full dose.

Home of the baby Picasso!
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 9:45pm
Careful with the Iodine.  Unless you can test for it, don't add it at full strength.  Too much can wipe out your tank.
viper121st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper121st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 11:51pm
how much iodine do u use?
drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 5:24am
i have been putting all my xenia at the top of my tank with alot of light and flow and they seem to be doing great but they really get happy when i do water changes i keep my salinity at .025 and they seem very happy good luck though
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 9:52am
When I kept Pom Pom it would move up so it was directly below the 10K 250w MH and right in front of a powerhead.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic