Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

January 2009 frag fest recap and pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: January 2009 frag fest recap and pics
    Posted: January 07 2009 at 1:24am
January 6, 2009

Attendance: 80+
Tank of the month:  Debbie and Jeff Morrill frednwilma1999
Auction
Buying frags
Fragging Demo's

What a great night. Over 80 people braved the weather to attend the first frag fest of 2009.  The day actually started around 1pm at Shawn Winterbottoms house where several people met to "frag and bag".  The meeting started right at 7 with Adam welcoming everyone and explaining how the night would go. He announced the February Banquet (tickets available soon) and the Marine Aquarium Expo in Orange County in April for those who would like to go (more on this in the next couple months) www.MarineAquariumeXpo.com

Next Dion did an awesome job presenting the tank of the month.  He explained that it doesn't matter how big or small your tank is or what you keep in it, anyone can be tank of the month.  There is just a couple rules 1. must be a paid member 2. need to attend the meeting the month your tank is presented. He showed pictures of the featured tank and explained that there will be a post on the board where he will feature the tank and people can ask questions.

Next, Adam played auctioneer and Shane played Vanna.  There were some really great pieces donated for the auction.  Reef Kingdom donated a beautiful red/blue lobo, a nice unknown/micromussa and a gorgeous red/white gorgonian sponge.  Fish 4 U donated 2 nice sized austrailian acans. Aquatica donated a gorgeous blue milli and Aquatic Dreams donated a beautiul hot pink yuma.  The auction was a lot of fun.  Sukie kept yelling at Lisa not to give up and Lisa kept bidding to get the bids higher.  What a hoot.  I don't think Lisa ended up winning anything, but she sure looked like she was having fun.

Some of our other LFS's donated items for the frag fest. Marine Aquatics donated 2 aussi rainbow acans, an aussi pink pepto chalice and 2 multi colored zoo frags. Finding Nemo  donated a great leather piece, Salt City Aquatics & Reefs donated a bunch of great stuff including some snails and The Aquarium donated some really great pieces.  These are just some examples of what was donated, the stores gave us so much I couldn't possilbly list it all here. Thanks to all the LFS's for all the great donations.

Next Adam explained how the bags were labeled and those people that donated were let loose first into the frag room. He also explained that paid members got 50% off the marked price on all the frags.  It was great watching everyone grabbing at the bags.  After a few minutes everone else was allowed to go shop for frags. 

Will, Scott, Mike, Dana and Julie ran the back table selling memberships and frags.  The line seemed to go fairly quick.  Great job guys!

While people were in shopping, Jake did a demo on fragging.  He showed how to frag zoos, leathers and other corals.  He answered questions and let people give fragging a try.  

There was a rep from The Living Planet Aquarium there to answer any questions.  All left over frags were donated to the LPA.

For those of you that missed the meeting, we missed you.  For those of you that went, thanks for going it was a lot of fun.  I can't wait until February!

Adam welcoming the crowd (sorry for the blurry picture!)

A very dark picture of Dion presenting the Tank of the month

The auction

Adam had everyone that donated tonight stand so that everyone could give them a round of applause

The room before the frags were all out

Shane and Jake setting up the frags

There was 5 tables set up with frags

Let the madness begin

Ok, everybody ready.....GO!!

Jake doing demos

The "checkout counter"

Edited by frednwilma1999 - January 07 2009 at 1:37pm
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 8:40am
Awesome write up!
Adam
Next Meeting: REEF TOUR!
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 9:17am
yeah! i even got in a picture. :)
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 9:47am
As always, I had a great time.  Thanks to all the people who took the better part of the day off to frag up all that stuff!  I'm sure it made for a very long day.  Again, thanks!

A suggestion and observation... It might just be my personal preference, but I would rather have the frags grouped together in the back room, i.e. all the Lime Licked Lemnalia grouped together and not scattered throughout the room.  It would be easier to find what I want and get out. 

And, it might be time to look for a new place with more parking.  The last couple meetings I, and ~10-15 others, have had to park over at the high school.  I have no doubt that there were some people who showed up, drove though the parking lot and just went home (particularly new people who don't already have friends inside).
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 9:47am

It was one fun night!

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:36am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

A suggestion and observation... It might just be my personal preference, but I would rather have the frags grouped together in the back room, i.e. all the Lime Licked Lemnalia grouped together and not scattered throughout the room.  It would be easier to find what I want and get out. 

And, it might be time to look for a new place with more parking.  The last couple meetings I, and ~10-15 others, have had to park over at the high school.  I have no doubt that there were some people who showed up, drove though the parking lot and just went home (particularly new people who don't already have friends inside).

I think they were trying to avoid one person getting all the Lime Licked Lemnalias which was a good idea. However, I really wanted an IUD OH I mean an IYD and didn't find one even though I was in there pretty quick. So I also was frustrated having to look all over to find where they were and was unsuccessful. I did find some other things I wouldn't have though so I suppose it evens out? Whoever got an IYD, please post pics! Would love to see it under lighting! 

I totally concur on the meeting place/parking. The last two meetings have been messy in the parking lot.

Was a really fun meeting and I am already looking forward to the next one!

Wendy
Andreason's

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 11:40am
I think they were trying to avoid one person getting all the Lime Licked Lemnalias which was a good idea.

Yes. The idea is to avoid a "good" table where all the best frags are at.  Keep the congestion down a bit and give everyone a chance to get the choice pieces.

And, it might be time to look for a new place with more parking.

This is tricky. Some meetings are packed, some are not.  We get such a good rate on the Rose Garden House, its easy to get to and centrally located. It will be hard to find a better venue. But, if we consistently have 100 people to meetings - it might be worth a looksy.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 12:00pm

Here are my suggestions:

- If you are going to use the letter coding, please have a legend at each table
- The club should auction off three "blue dot" badges that let people into the frag room before even the green dot people
- People should be limited to one frag of each type of coral for certain "choice" specimens so that more can enjoy.
- Have a few premium colonies at premium (but slightly better than LFS) price
- Have an online "preview" of the corals that will be fragged so we know what to lok for before we come in.
- Have a write up in the board before the meeting informing noobs wht they might want or not want, what to bring to take them home, and then what to do with them when you do get them home...not just acclimation, but also how to attach them to a plug, etc.

This is all a new-guys perspective, so don't be too hard on me  :)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 12:13pm
The club should auction off three "blue dot" badges that let people into the frag room before even the green dot people
I LOVE that suggestion.
People should be limited to one frag of each type of coral for certain "choice" specimens so that more can enjoy.
I'll get stoned if I implement that rule. LOL
Have an online "preview" of the corals that will be fragged so we know what to lok for before we come in.
You wouldn't believe how many times we've told the local store owners that they should get on this site and post a pic of what they are donating.  Or even just tell us what they are donating so we can take a pic of it in their store.  It would be a great way to promote their store and to let all of you here know what to expect.  I think they are afraid of stating which corals to give, only to have a customer come in later and say "hey Joe I'll give you $200 for that coral" and they are left wishing they hadn't already promised it to us.

Adam
Next Meeting: REEF TOUR!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 1:02pm
Yeah, I know why the frags are dispersed across all the tables.  I just don't think it makes any difference in congestion:

But I think keeping each frag set together would help me find the frags I'm interested in.  I mean let's face it, the acan frags are going to be GONE regardless.  Why not keep 'em all together and limit premium frags to one per person?

I think if we auction off "blue dot" badges we might see a decrease in donated corals.  Rather then donate, I'll just buy a dot.

But I could be wrong LOL
Dwyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 1:40pm
Is the frag-fest a 1 time a year event? I forgot it was yesterday. Not to mention was broke at the same time. I will look forward to next time.
mr_tongate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_tongate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Yeah, I know why the frags are dispersed across all the tables.  I just don't think it makes any difference in congestion:

But I think keeping each frag set together would help me find the frags I'm interested in.  I mean let's face it, the acan frags are going to be GONE regardless.  Why not keep 'em all together and limit premium frags to one per person?

I think if we auction off "blue dot" badges we might see a decrease in donated corals.  Rather then donate, I'll just buy a dot.

But I could be wrong LOL

yea it was congested but could you imagine all of them around 1 table or even two...
220 reef
cell# 760.684.6122
POSTING PIC'S
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 1:56pm
I'm not suggesting we put the acan frags on the same table as the Better Then Sex Palys and OMG Blastos.  The premium frags could still be spread out.  I think 90% of the people in that picture are crowded around looking for specific frags, then moving to the next table... wash, rinse and repeat.  If everything's labeled you're in and out much quicker.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 2:00pm
Jon - great points.  All we can do is try it next time and see what happens!

The Fu - also great points. Some a bit more difficult to implement, but again we can give it a try and see what happens!

Thanks for the input.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Dwyer Dwyer wrote:

Is the frag-fest a 1 time a year event? I forgot it was yesterday. Not to mention was broke at the same time. I will look forward to next time.

We do the frag fest 2 or 3 times a year.  In the last few years we have had one in January and one around May or June.  We have similar plans this year.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 7:49pm
I really really wanted to (and expected to) be there last night but fate intervened (Curse you, you d$#@! job!) and so I missed out...

I guess I'll have to set my sights on either the Feb or March meeting and just wait until the next fragfest...

Ouch
- My Current Tank: 150g Mixed Reef -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
1fishkeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1fishkeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:06pm
I had frags to give for the frag fest but they didnt make it down there.  Oh well I guess I could keep on growing them for the next one.  I just wish I could have made it down there.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 11:14pm
Great recap Deb. It was a great meeting and a great turn out!

Mike

Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 8:38am
The club should auction off three "blue dot" badges that let people into the frag room before even the green dot people
If you do that count me out.  I don't need to come and/or donate because the three people would get the stuff I wanted.  And, I really don't need so much as to make it worth competing in an auction.

As for the tables - Each table could have some softies, LPS, and SPS, but they could be grouped like pieces of pies! Or, low, med, high light demand corals.  Or color code the labels by using different colored markers for each type.  This would keep the crowd dispersed, but allow me to get what I want without being in front of what someone else is looking for.  I must admit I picked up a few softies that I thought were SPS and had to take them back.  Who would have known that the leathers would be cut into such small pieces!  I did like the nice stuff spread throughout all the tables.  That way, you are stuck with nothing if you hit the wrong table the first minute!

Home of the baby Picasso!
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 9:57am
If you auctioned off the "spots" and you limited people to no more than one or two of the "premium" items, then those with green dots should not have anything to worry about, and if they have the same restriction, even the people behind them might have some chance.

The issue for me is if you are new to the hobby, and new to the club, then you probably do not have any corals to donate.  But, the club can buy corals for frag-fests WITH money.  So the only way to jump-start for noobs is to maybe "buy" their way in with a monetary instead of coral donation.

There are a lot of things as a club that I am sure cost a good deal of money.  Also, there are probably some things the club could invest in that would benefit us all if the club had more cash (things that could be loaned out like that fish-trap or advanced testing gear, etc. that one does not need long term in the hobby). 

Everyone donates differently.  Some their time, some corals, and some dollars...thats because everyone has something different to offer.

I think its right that those who pony up more in the club should enjoy some form of reward from that from time to time...the frag-fest is perfect for that...just realize that everyone ponies up differently.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic