Author
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Frag Fest"
    Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:36am
I thought the 2009 Frag fest was Awesome.  But, I do have a few suggestions:

1.  Auction.
I personally love the auction.  I think it went quick and was fun.  However, I think it would be cool to have an "Auction Table" set up before the meeting starts.  The various items to be auctioned could be displayed on the table, maybe with a picture of it.  That way people can see/find what they want before it starts.  Then maybe they will bid higher on the item(s) they want.

2.  Frags
A recurring question I was asked last night (and at every frag fest), was what do the acronyms mean.  That's followed up by, "will it live in my system?" I suggest printing off a sheet for each table, that list the acronyms and gives a little care instructions for each Frag.  I would also put up an extra table (with no frags on it) and have several "Acronym Sheets" at that table.  A few presidency members/volunteers can sit at that table, so they are readily available to answer questions.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:37am
Oh, if we do the frag fest at my house again, I have a nice color printer on my wireless network.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:41am
Maybe having them sorted according to lighting even? A table for PC one for VHO and one for MH? Of course there would be some overlap and iffy choices but to narrow it down....
Andreason's

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 2:13pm
Or even the day before post up a sheet that we can print off that has the Acronym and lighting requirements.  I would have grabbed more stuff but i had no clue what things where and by the time i found out they were gone . . .
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 2:48pm
Well, the club has no idea what is going to be donated until hours, or even minutes before the meeting. Pre-posting what will be there and requirements just isn't possible. I think the idea is that when they go over what was donated and the names and acronyms before the room is open, people will ask any questions they have and will be writing down which ones they want to look at. I got a piece of something I still have to identify. LOL hopefully it likes curious tangs and low flow! If it does not, other than killing an innocent creature, I am only out $5.
Andreason's

mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 4:27pm

I am sure that the acronyms are used to save time, but they are so confusing in the mad rush! I am not sure that a cheat sheet would help a lot in the mad dash.  Is it possible to drop the fancy names and instead simplify what it is?  (Example: "Powder Puff Pepto Positively Pink Zoas" could be "Pink Zoas" instead of PPPPPZ." I know that my first frag fest I was very lost, as I am sure anyone would be who is new to the hobby.  I am still mostly confused and overwhelmed by the tables.  I was glad to see that Crystal was lost with it as well, makes me feel a little better.

Also what if we got some dot stickers to quickly show the level of difficulty?  This would be great for anyone that was new.  They would know that anything with a “green” dot is good, but avoid “red” dots.

Acrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by mermaidcamille mermaidcamille wrote:

Also what if we got some dot stickers to quickly show the level of difficulty?  This would be great for anyone that was new.  They would know that anything with a “green” dot is good, but avoid “red” dots.

This is a very good idea!
90g Reef
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 4:47pm
Camille - its all about marketing.  What sounds more appealing: zoanthid frag (brown center, brown skirt)? Or LE decadent chocolate love zoanthid frag?  We have to have a way to make the ordinary seem extraordinary - its the coral fragging way. Wink

If Steve Tyree was dead - he'd be rolling over in his grave. Tongue

The acronyms are used to save time and avoid having to write a whole name on a rather small bag. But your point is well taken. We did sort the corals based on lighting requirements at one frag fest. People complained that the high light table was too crowded and they didn't get any of the good stuff.  I really like the color dot stickers for difficuly though. As long as they stick to wet plastic bags!

Great improvement ideas! Keep them coming.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 4:51pm

We may also want to encourage peole to bring a pen and paper and write down the acronyms of the corals they like during the presentation. They could raise their hand and ask questions about husbandry requirements and make a decision before they enter the coral room if a particularly marked coral would work for their specific aquarium needs.

Nah - thats just crazy talk .... nevermind.

Big smile (sarcasm very much implied)
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 6:04pm
I'd recommend a cheat sheet you give out before the presentation, then they can make notes or highlight the ones of interest on that.
Home of the baby Picasso!
Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

I'd recommend a cheat sheet you give out before the presentation, then they can make notes or highlight the ones of interest on that.

Great idea! 
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Camille - its all about marketing.  What sounds more appealing: zoanthid frag (brown center, brown skirt)? Or LE decadent chocolate love zoanthid frag?  We have to have a way to make the ordinary seem extraordinary - its the coral fragging way. Wink

If Steve Tyree was dead - he'd be rolling over in his grave. Tongue

The acronyms are used to save time and avoid having to write a whole name on a rather small bag. But your point is well taken. We did sort the corals based on lighting requirements at one frag fest. People complained that the high light table was too crowded and they didn't get any of the good stuff.  I really like the color dot stickers for difficuly though. As long as they stick to wet plastic bags!

Great improvement ideas! Keep them coming.

I would gladly donate my mad handwriting skills to the cause.  Marketing?!  Again if I can't figure out what "KIEKSX" means so much for marketing Wink.  My first frag fest I did write down codes on a paper but ended up feeling a little like that kid on A Christmas Story with his decoder ring.  LOL
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:11pm
Marketing?!  Again if I can't figure out what "KIEKSX" means so much for marketing.

You're right on there.  Next time, no cool names and full descriptions on each 2 inch bag.

The acronym GTS will become "sarcophyton alcyonidae" written 30 times on wet plastic bags with a sharpie. (just remember, you volunteered to write)  Wink
jfinch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:14pm
Man I really like the new Shane!  LOL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:25pm
I miss nice passive Shane.Stern Smile 

I am okay with "Giant Toad Stool."  I think that is the only one I actually knew last night.Smile  I will be happy to write that or "GTS-toad stool" and that way you can keep your marketing shenanigans and I can tell what I am picking up.  However, if you would like the scientific name I would be happy to bring an extra sharpie and you can help me out.LOL

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:44pm
New year - new attitude! Oh - and I was never passive - I just spouted off behind the scenes and not on the board. Again - new year, new attitude.

I'm sure we'll be able to incorporate some improvements to the frag fest. But let me explain how this works for me - Monday night - drive to Hyrum to pick up donations - major snow storm, truck breaks down in Sardine Canyon (Wellsville side).  Friday - spend all morning working on a wet and filthy truck that I towed from Logan late Monday night. Don't worry corals were delivered home to make sure they didn't get cold (extra round trip through canyon). Get truck running (distributor cap and rotor) race around to LFS on the way to Shawns grabbing corals and pimping the club.

Spend 4 or 5 hours fragging and bagging and marking - loved hanging with some super cool fish nerds.  Leave for the meeting - spend the next hour shoveling snow, setting up chairs / tables, organizing 100s of frags, re-bag leakers, mark up donations, make sure people get their dots, FRAG FEST, clean tables, put away chairs, pick up the bathrooms (is it that hard to hit the garbage can with the paper towels), eat dinner with some super cool fish nerds, drive home and climb in bed for my 4.5 hours of sleep.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:47pm

So - you can imagine the acronyms seem like a small detail in the whole scheme of my day. Smile

And remember - this was just my day. We had a dozen others with similar stories ....
jfinch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 11:36pm

Still likin' the new Shane!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 8:57am

So - you can imagine the acronyms seem like a small detail in the whole scheme of my day. Smile

And remember - this was just my day. We had a dozen others with similar stories ....

Again, I am happy to take that part off your hands and help you out and make one less thing for you do.  I appreciate all your hard work more than you know the frag fest was awesome.

I do like the more lively Shane by the way, he has a lot of spunk.
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 10:50am

New year - new attitude! Oh - and I was never passive - I just spouted off behind the scenes and not on the board. Again - new year, new attitude.

I'm sure we'll be able to incorporate some improvements to the frag fest. But let me explain how this works for me - Monday night - drive to Hyrum to pick up donations - major snow storm, truck breaks down in Sardine Canyon (Wellsville side).  Friday - spend all morning working on a wet and filthy truck that I towed from Logan late Monday night. Don't worry corals were delivered home to make sure they didn't get cold (extra round trip through canyon). Get truck running (distributor cap and rotor) race around to LFS on the way to Shawns grabbing corals and pimping the club.

Spend 4 or 5 hours fragging and bagging and marking - loved hanging with some super cool fish nerds.  Leave for the meeting - spend the next hour shoveling snow, setting up chairs / tables, organizing 100s of frags, re-bag leakers, mark up donations, make sure people get their dots, FRAG FEST, clean tables, put away chairs, pick up the bathrooms (is it that hard to hit the garbage can with the paper towels), eat dinner with some super cool fish nerds, drive home and climb in bed for my 4.5 hours of sleep.

All the more reason to do a FRAG SWAP instead of a frag fest.

Then you could ask the people who are sitting behind the table what kind of light requirements, the scientific name, as well as the cool 'marketing name' of each coral.

Not to mention then someone looking to buy corals could have a chance at the 'in your dreams' Blue enchinada. I am sure there would be allot more frags and greater variety at a FRAG SWAP. People could even list what they will be offering here on this site before the meeting so that questions could be asked before even showing up for the 'BLACK TUESDAY' smash and grab sale.

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic