FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Frag Fest"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
sukie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by EagleEyez5 EagleEyez5 wrote:

Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

Jerry, I don't think a FragSwap is a bad idea.  Like Adam said we could or will have one this year.This thread was basically setup to see if we can improve on the frag swap we have each year. 

My first post was just as a response to Shane's bad day and an alternative so that it would not happen again. My second post was just to explain my first after it was clear that I was misunderstood. And my third was to point out that I did not mean that people won't be able to buy kenya trees or even stop donating. And this one, is to explain what I have been trying to explain. So if you need more explicit explanations, call me, {because the board blocks those words.}

Jerry in the wise words of Ricky Ricardo from I Heart Lucy:

"Jerry you got some spainin' to do!"

LOL
bannshy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:49pm
I guess I got my answer. Thank you for being so candid. I will have to refrain from caring, it has no value to anyone.

Have a nice day in your sandbox.
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:52pm
hey sukie, where were the snacks anyway? I had to leave earlier than I wanted because my little boy{being related to me} was eating my wife from the inside out.

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:52pm

I'm in no way opposed to a swap. In fact,  the swap meets we have had in the past, should be morphed into a frag swap - with some equipment available.  I'm not into the designer corals and therefore that type of a deal doesn't appeal to me - but for those who are - a swap may be a good way to share corals among club members and provide an outlet for coral farmers in the club.  Although - we pretty much do that every month before meetings ...

My reaction was not to Jerry's suggestions - just to Jeremy's comments - which I respectfully disagree with.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Eventine Eventine wrote:

You just got caught skimming instead of reading.

While still offering the other stuff. Even have a table set up so that things can be donated to the club, and the club sells them and keeps all the money from that table.

If skimming is bad why do so many people have skimmers in there sump? LOLLOL.

Oh and I run two skimmers so that I won't miss anything

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:08pm
Wow look at all those posts.  Let me see if I can help clarify the Frag Fest situation for everyone.

These events started out (many years ago) called Coral Propagation Seminars.  The goal was to show people how to frag corals.  The club would get a few corals and give demos.  Over the years we started getting club members complaining that the meeting was "too educational" as fragging became common and most members no longer needed the demos.

We also received input from people asking for more corals, more frags, and more opportunities to buy a bunch of cheap frags.  Thus began the beginning of the Frag Frest. 

The Frag Fest is a favorite meeting for many people.  In fact we always get people sending in pm's saying they loved it.  The love the chance to get some new cheap frags.  New hobbyists are still given a chance to learn from the demos, although we've heavily cut them back. 

Regarding money, we have a couple issues.  First, we have to charge something for the frags.  If we just made them free the first couple people in the door would be grabbing them up.  Second, we have to fund the club somehow, so this seems like a good way.  But hey, if Larry H Miller gives the club 1.2 million... we'll start giving the frags away FREE!  But until then we use Frag Fests to suppor the club.  This frag fest was super successful and will carry the club for the next 6 months.  It will pay for meeting rental, refreshments, February's speaker, prizes for the game night, and hopefully a new projector. 

So in summary, the Frag Fests are always changing to meet the needs of the club members, and they serve multiple purposes.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
sukie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:15pm

hey sukie, where were the snacks anyway? I had to leave earlier than I wanted because my little boy{being related to me} was eating my wife from the inside out.

She got snowed in. . . .Cry  I too missed the snacks.  I mean I didn't really think I would miss something that is always provided every meeting.
sukie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by bannshy bannshy wrote:

I guess I got my answer. Thank you for being so candid. I will have to refrain from caring, it has no value to anyone.

Have a nice day in your sandbox.

Jeremy - please reread your post. 

How many people donated their time or money to the club?  The way you came across you pretty much negated all of that. 

How else do you think we would react??
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:22pm
Couple questions what was the clubs total profit from this?

Was it worth it for the presidency members?

I've mentioned several times how successful fragswapper is,

Admission can be $5 per person, generally in both of our ohio swaps we had over 300 people (club profit $500 if 100 people show up that aren't selling, not unreasonable).

Now vendors were charged $10 (included your admission) and you got a five foot table space, we generally had a 10 gallon setup with frags in it. (Generally over 200 individual vendors (club profit at least $2000).

Now stores were also allowed to come setup most brought a decent frag tank with lighting, we had stores coming from FIVE states away, not unreasonable here as well.  Vendors were charged $100-200 I believe.  Normally at least  ten or so vendors each got 20 feet of space (club profit $1000 and up)  Vendors normally sold several thousand so it was well worth their while.

Now where the presidency comes in, donations were made from local vendors, national organizations, equipment manufacturers etc... These were all raffled off at a profit of generally around $1-5k.

People keep saying its not about high end corals well its not always, people sell kenya trees and mushrooms for five bucks, but we also dropped $1,000 on LE colonies and frags, we ended up with over 100 pieces.  It gives a venue for everyone to be happy, honestly I have no reason to donate a $100 piece of LE undata to the club to sell and then fight a crowd to get beat up acro frags.  This way everyone can shop for what they want.

It's free to setup on fragswapper and corals are listed with pictures a month or more in advance, this gives everyone time to presell and prebuy corals that they want, sellers can bag things up with names on them, buyers can budget ahead and everyone is happy.

On top of that you can sell hotdogs, sloppy joes etc, pop etc and make another $500 or more.
Best thing, no horror stories from everyone about how much a PITA it is to frag everything up, bag it, mark it, bring it to the meeting, organize it, watch it get picked through, then maybe the buyer is lucky and it makes it through the 12 hours of hell without dieing.

Both ohio clubs profits were generally $5,000-10,000 and everyone was happy....
I'm still confused why this seems such a big deal, yes its different from what you've been doing but it makes a heck of a lot more sense to me.  Members are happy and can make some money and/or get the corals they want and the club makes money......

You can also turn it into an event with a speaker as well, check out the link for some ideas...
http://www.fragswapper.com/home.asp

Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:24pm
almost made it a week , Drama free. The fab 5 Strike againThumbs Up,

WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

She got snowed in. . . .Cry  I too missed the snacks.  I mean I didn't really think I would miss something that is always provided every meeting.

I don't want all of those awesome eclairs to go to waste, tell her I will come pick them up today.

Edited by EagleEyez5 - January 08 2009 at 1:26pm

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:27pm
Again, to clarify-

I called Carolyn and told her we didn't need refreshments.  On Frag Fest nights many people are looking to get their corals and get home quickly.  We don't typically have people staying as late and therefore we never need all the refreshments on those nights.  She offered to have someone else bring them to the meeting (my sister actually volunteered to get them) but again I told her it wasn't necessary.

dew2loud1- yes we know all about that.  We have our own mini conference being planned for next fall and we'll have all sorts of tables and coral vendors and people coming from other states.  But to answer your question, yes this was certainly well worth doing from a presidency point of view.  This Frag Fest went off better than ever before and still brought in $2000.  A very successful night all around.

Adam
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:35pm
Thats good, I'm glad the club brought in a good amount of money,
It just seems that the way its setup now its putting undue amounts of work on the presidency, I know how stressful it is to frag things up and how long it takes and I have a ton of respect for everyone donating their time, I would have been there but had to work...

As the club grows and gets larger there are more and more opportunities to expand and I'm glad to see that we are hopefully doing just that.
If you need any help with the fall conference let me know I'll be glad to help out if I can.
I strongly recommend that we try the fragswapper format for it as well and see how it goes.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Jeff Morrill Jeff Morrill wrote:

Why don't you and I just finish this in the parking lot and then LET IT GO, obviously you have a problem with me so lets just get it over with.

All I want to do is make this club better, but every time I make a suggestion, you come out with some smart ass remark, or your wife bashes it, and I am tired of it. I am the one who should have a problem with you for all of the crap you pulled in the past with myself and my family, but I have let it go. If you can't let it go, then lets finish it so that you can.

If you think I am joking, then meet me somewhere and lets put an end to this crap. Quit hiding behind your keyboard.

{if memory serves me right, in middle school when guys fight, they are usually friends afterward}

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
sukie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Again, to clarify-

I called Carolyn and told her we didn't need refreshments.  On Frag Fest nights many people are looking to get their corals and get home quickly.  We don't typically have people staying as late and therefore we never need all the refreshments on those nights.  She offered to have someone else bring them to the meeting (my sister actually volunteered to get them) but again I told her it wasn't necessary.

what!!!  Adam now you know why I was so Da** grumpy at the meeting - those snacks keep me alive!!!

Heil told me she was snowed in. . . I feel lied to!Wink
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:47pm
I don't see the problem. Looks like we already plan to do both swaps and fests! We are lucky! I know things are not all laid out yet, but if members know it is coming up they can frag things way early to make sure they are looking good and well healed. Plus those who have ideas and suggestions can set aside some time to volunteer to help out and have more input into the process. So keep us updated on the date.    
Andreason's

Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:52pm

Originally posted by Jeff Morrill Jeff Morrill wrote:

Why don't you and I just finish this in the parking lot and then LET IT GO, obviously you have a problem with me so lets just get it over with.

All I want to do is make this club better, but every time I make a suggestion, you come out with some smart ass remark, or your wife bashes it, and I am tired of it. I am the one who should have a problem with you for all of the crap you pulled in the past with myself and my family, but I have let it go. If you can't let it go, then lets finish it so that you can.

If you think I am joking, then meet me somewhere and lets put an end to this crap. Quit hiding behind your keyboard.

{if memory serves me right, in middle school when guys fight, they are usually friends afterward}

Excuse me, who is the one sending me smart ass pm's and putting your dumb ass sig lines up about me during elections?  You are the one hiding behind the keyboard cutting me down all the time.  What WE did to your family?  Whoa, step back and rethink that one.  And by the way, thanks for posting your threat for all to see.  Your level of maturity just suprises me everyday. 

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 1:56pm
Okay I think I got all the suggestions.  I'll print them off for the next pres meeting. 
If anyone else has suggestions, please pm them to me.

Thanks
Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic