Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Frag Fest"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 10:53am
Do frag swaps raise money for the club? How does that work?
Andreason's

tazman1982 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 10:55am
How would me trading my frogspawn for your zoos help the club? It helps you and me which is good but the club helps many not just 1 or 2
75 Reef
55 Reef

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 11:16am
We do have swaps every once in a while.  But as said, in the past they were not fund raisers they were just open meetings for people to set up tables and trade.  We considered selling table space, but we didn't want to discourage anyone from coming with frags to trade (not wanting to rent table space).  We also considered charging admission or charging a percent of sales, or smething like that.  Again, we didn't want to discourage people from coming and trading and selling.  So instead we just made it free.

I'm sure we'll do that again sometime this year.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 11:40am

One of the objects of a coral swap would be to have better (higher end) corals and you could trade 15-20  frogspawn heads for a 1" high end coral.

bannshy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 11:51am
bannshy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 11:52am

Does anyone know why some of my posts become hyperlinks?

Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:04pm
I would say most of the meetings are for the members. There are really only a couple events in the year to make the money to run the club. It just so happens we had one to end the year and one to start the year so it seems thats all there has been lately.
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:08pm
The club needs to make money, plain and simple. If we didnt have frag fests - the club would not be able to bring in any speakers, rent the very nice facility we meet in, etc etc. The club cannot afford to not to have frag fests if it wants to survive. What the heck is the big deal - every year we have frag fests - and most years we have equipment swaps/frag trade meetings. What is the big issue all the sudden about this meeting?

Is it just because the board has been so wonderfully drama free?
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:08pm
Ok, to better explain what I mean is:

Allow people to come and sell their corals, charge a cover fee at the door, have a raffle, and give a percentage of what you sell to the club. So maybe call it a frag swapMEET instead of FRAG SWAP.

Does that help explain what I meant?

Even if it is 10% of the sale price goes to the club, imagine how much more the club would make by allowing you to buy some of these:

While still offering the other stuff. Even have a table set up so that things can be donated to the club, and the club sells them and keeps all the money from that table.

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
sukie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by bannshy bannshy wrote:

I am frustrated by the attitude that some have that these need to be fundraisers only.
I am trying to figure out, if this club exists to make money or if this club exists for the members. I know speakers cost money. I know the club has expenses. I really believe we need to have fund raisers. I wish it was more clear what our goals were like we need $2,000 for this speaker or what ever. I know this is me rambling but some meetings should be about the members and not how much the club should make.

Can I ask you what meetings are not about members?

I mean, I've been in the club now for almost 4yrs and I haven't been to a meeting that wasn't about members.

• Do you know how much it is to rent the meeting house a month?
  • Do you know how much it is for snacks for people who show up to the meeting?
  • What if we have a speaker to come in and educate members - how much is hotel, air, and their fees?
  • What about getting a new projector for the club? 

When we do a fundraiser - wouldn't you as a member that donated to the club want to know how successful it is?  Or should we just not talk about it?
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:15pm

I would even argue that most members benefit from the fundraisers that they choose to participate in.  I love the frag fests because I can get corals at a very affordable price 1-2 times a year. 

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:16pm
Jeremy,

Give me a break.  You're really trying to figure out "if the club exists to make money or if this club exists for its members"?  The frag fest is about raising funds. They are a huge PITA and if we had a better way to raise money (like say raising membership dues to $100 or charging guests to use our board to sale equipment and frags)  then we could avoid them. 

We hold two or maybe three fundraising meetings per year - all the others cost us money is some way or another.  If you have a better method to raise money - we're all ears ....

Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:17pm
Plus its exciting to see what you really got...We bought something labeled Wang Doodle like 6 months ago or so. It was very odd looking but it turned out to be the stump of an umbrella leather that is now growing out nicely.

West Jordan
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:18pm
Sorry - I didn't see the other posts before I made mine.

Ignore my rant ....
Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:22pm
The frag fest is for EVERYBODY not just people that want high end corals.  We had several newbies at this fragfest that are nowhere near ready for high end stuff, nor would they have things to trade at a frag swap.  We also have people like me that don't even like the high end stuff.   It is great for people to come in and buy a frag for $5. 

A coral swap would exclude people that didn't have something to trade or it would make people feel like their stuff wasn't high end enough.

And no this club is not just about raising money.  It's about the members.  We have 2 frag fests and a big raffle each year.  That's 3 out of 12 meetings.  We bring in about 3 speakers a year which costs money, the bbq costs money, the meeting place costs money.  I don't think 3 fundraiser meetings a year is too much.  Besides, those meetings also benefit the members.  If people didn't want the frag fest it wouldn't look like this:

Edited by frednwilma1999 - January 08 2009 at 12:24pm
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
sukie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by EagleEyez5 EagleEyez5 wrote:

Ok, to better explain what I mean is:

Allow people to come and sell their corals, charge a cover fee at the door, have a raffle, and give a percentage of what you sell to the club. So maybe call it a frag swapMEET instead of FRAG SWAP.

Does that help explain what I meant?

Even if it is 10% of the sale price goes to the club, imagine how much more the club would make by allowing you to buy some of these:

While still offering the other stuff. Even have a table set up so that things can be donated to the club, and the club sells them and keeps all the money from that table.

Jerry, I don't think a FragSwap is a bad idea.  Like Adam said we could or will have one this year.

This thread was basically setup to see if we can improve on the frag swap we have each year. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:28pm
You just got caught skimming instead of reading.

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:32pm
Ok, one of these for $100 club gets $10 (like you said, 10%).  1 person gets a frag

On the other hand. Sell 20 of these for the same amount of money ($100) the club makes $100 and 20 people go home happy. (nuff said)

Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

Jerry, I don't think a FragSwap is a bad idea.  Like Adam said we could or will have one this year.This thread was basically setup to see if we can improve on the frag swap we have each year. 

My first post was just as a response to Shane's bad day and an alternative so that it would not happen again. My second post was just to explain my first after it was clear that I was misunderstood. And my third was to point out that I did not mean that people won't be able to buy kenya trees or even stop donating. And this one, is to explain what I have been trying to explain. So if you need more explicit explanations, call me, {because the board blocks those words.}

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:36pm

You just got caught skimming instead of reading.

If skimming is bad why do so many people have skimmers in there sump? LOLLOL.

West Jordan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic