Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring 2009 Meeting Topics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring 2009 Meeting Topics
    Posted: January 09 2009 at 3:24pm
Please share your input on topics, speakers, projects, events, and anything else that you would like to see for this spring. 
The presidency will discuss the suggestions and try to make a spring schedule soon.

Thanks
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 3:35pm
How about keeping and making SPS's grow in our tanks.  Like areas of lighting, food, and water requirements.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by 1fishkeeper 1fishkeeper wrote:

How about keeping and making SPS's grow in our tanks.  Like areas of lighting, food, and water requirements.

good idea. sps is something that demands good water quality along with stability.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 12:35am
Yeah thats why I brought it up because alot of people are scared of trying them.  I know I was at first but after alot and I do mean alot of reading about them I gave them a try and now Im hooked on them.  Im sure there are others out there that would love to find out more about them and how to keep them.  They are a great coral with some wild colors and shapes out there.
BrandonA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrandonA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 6:48pm
Also  some tips on making things grow faster.  Most vets of the hooby I'm sure know the little tricks.  As for me my tank is full of frags.  Can't wait till the grow up and become colonies.  I know lights and feeding, the normal answers but there also has to be some tricks out there to help the little guys out.
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 1:37am
Project making
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Eventine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eventine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Cameron Cameron wrote:

Project making

??? What kind of projects?
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 12:13pm
Like, DIY Projects. Stuff like that. 
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 1:16pm
What about fish food (homemade recipes, feeding tips, how to get the seaweed clip to stay or alternative ways too offer seaweed, target feeding tips, what micron for what creatures, how often to feed small micron stuff, cyclopeez, etc, table food for the tank like garlic, spinach, zuccini, etc)? Or fish that should not be kept together? (such as fish that compete for the same limited food sources in the tank, or fish that mingle as juveniles but fight as adults) DIY tank covers (I have seen several people with mesh over there's, great idea!) DIY hood fans (computer fans, how to install fans for greatest effect, thermostat fans, what size, etc) Different algae types and how to ID, prevent, get rid of, or encourage growth. Tank dangers and how to minimize them, like water alarms, drip loops, keeping plugs to the side of the tank rather than underneath, child locks, safety glasses, gloves, etc) DIY moonlights, I have seen tons of options, but many are made to run on car batteries. Maybe a group buy and DIY on rewiring them at the meeting together? You know you can never have enough moonlights!

Wendy

Andreason's

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:34pm
Just bumping this to make sure everyone gets a chance to recommend topics, speakers, or whatever else you want before we make the calendar.

Adam
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 2:16pm
Raising rotis and pods, that would fit in with the making your own food section. that was already suggested.
75 Reef
55 Reef

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 1:25pm
Frag Swap please - and please see if we can have Crystal help the club with organizing it.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 1:26pm
LOL Crystal - I hope you don't mind?
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 2:29pm
Can we add swap meet to the frag swap?  I don't have corals, but I do have a lot of equipment that I need to sale / trade!
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 2:41pm
I like your idea Shane
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 3:29pm
i talked to adam earlier about this and I don't have a problem heading it up. I would however need a little bit of help with talking to the LFS and getting donations from online sites and vendors. When we had this event back home it wasnt limited to just corals or livestock. Equipment was also seen there.

www.fragswapper.com was used and its an awesome site. I'd be happy to explain it further.

just let me know what your thinking
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 3:37pm
Crystal - let me know what you're thinking regarding donations / LFS participation and I can take a look.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 11:12am
Originally posted by 1fishkeeper 1fishkeeper wrote:

You asked for it, you got it.
This coming meeting is all about making sps tanks simple.

Adam
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Cameron Cameron wrote:

Project making

Originally posted by Andreason Andreason wrote:

What about.............. 

You got it!  We've got this down for the April meeting.  If you'd like to present on any topic, or suggest someone for a topic please send me a pm.  We'd love to sign up a bunch of people to share their creations.

Adam
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 11:17am
Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

Frag Swap please - and please see if we can have Crystal help the club with organizing it.

Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

i talked to adam earlier about this and I don't have a problem heading it up.

You got it!  Stay tuned for the June meeting.  Crystal is heading up our Super Swap and details will come later.

Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic