Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

January 2009 TOTM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: January 2009 TOTM
    Posted: January 09 2009 at 10:26pm

75 gallon all glass reef ready tank.
approx 125 lbs of rock.
approx 70lbs sand.
Totally lit by PC LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!
6- 65w pc bulbs. 2-internal reflectors!!!!
3 maxi jet 1200 with one roi power head controlled by a wave maker.
30 gallon sump/refugium
2-55w pc bulbs
3 different macro algae. Red and green grape and cheto. Awesome Mangroves!!!!
Asm g1 skimmer.
Mag 7 return pump.

All of these beautiful colors and corals maintained by PC LIGHTS!!

If you love suncorals as I do, you need to see this tank!!!

And of course DUNCAN'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And of course one of the most awesome Seahorse tank. Lite by PC lights as well.(upcoming totm candidate?)

I would like to thank Mike Savage for his amazing skill with the camera.

There are 2 important things to understand about these gorgeous tanks.

1- It is completely possible to maintain an absolutely awesome tank with PC lights. For new people in the hobby is can get VERY confusing when it comes to the light issue. PC lights can maintain many of the corals that are kept in out systems. Corals like Sun polyps prefer to NOT be in high intensity lighting. Besides the energy savings between PC lights and Metal Halide.

2- Awesome displays of color can be put together on a budget. There is no reason to spend $50 up per polyp for Zoanthids. Frags with many heads of awesome colored Zoanthids can be purchased from the Aquarium and Aquatic Dreams for $5 and up. Whats more, Many members on the board will trade, sell and give you a frag of cool zoas to build your collection. Heads of hammer, torch and candy cane can be found from time to time for $5 - $10 per head. Watch the buy/sell/trade forum for awesome deals to get you going.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 10:34pm
Great write up Dion.  Will you be posting this as a sticky thread for every month?
Mikes pictures are awsome as always.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 10:41pm
Yes it will be moved into the CLUB FACTS FORUM and maintained as an interactive thread for questions and answers for the owners. That way the spotlighted owners have a chance to explain their systems and discuss what works for them and what doesn't.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 11:14pm
dp

Edited by BobC63 - January 09 2009 at 11:17pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 11:15pm
Dion - Great write up Thumbs Up

Mike - Beautiful pictures Thumbs Up

And Congrats to Jeff & Debbie! Clap Clap Clap

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
mr_tongate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_tongate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 11:56pm
one of the most beautiful tanks in the club...
huh not for long.....lol...j/k
congratsThumbs Up
220 reef
cell# 760.684.6122
POSTING PIC'S
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php
mr_tongate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_tongate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 12:00am
lol............. i just noticed that all the pics are on a border that looks like a tomb stone does that have somthing to do with the TOTM curse ..lol when you part it out ,cuz we all know you cant sell anything as a whole ide be intrested in ALOT of stuff....lol
220 reef
cell# 760.684.6122
POSTING PIC'S
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 8:04am
Very nice tanks!!!!!!

In this hobby it is very easy to get caught up in the bigger is better and the more is costs the better it is. The reminder that it is totally untrue is refreshing...... 

love the horse tank.......

I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 11:03am
The horse tank is one of my favorites!

Mike

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 11:51am
Sweet picture Mike!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 11:54am
Thanks! It's one of my favorites.

Mike

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 8:35pm
Love the thread Dion! 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 9:02pm
Great job everyone!  Thumbs Up
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Underwater Monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underwater Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 12:28am
Mike that's an amazing pic!
Jeff & Debbie, beautiful Tanks! I'm jealous! *sigh* someday...
55 gl Reef
24 gl nano Reef

copying what Eva does:
" I would love to come. Just let me know when and where." Saltybuck
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 11:32pm
Awesome pics Mike.  Debbie I love your tanks and they are Awesome.  its amazing how a 6 foot by 2 foot space could be watched for hours on end. 
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
fyrmn14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fyrmn14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 2:52am
First of all...again...Mike, wow on the pictures you always do an awesome job!

And Deb and Jeff...You guys are awesome and keep some very beautiful tanks!

This again is a awesome representation of how good PC's can be.

I snagged a nano tank off Will (Thanks again WillSmile) that is running PC only lighting. It has SPS, Leathers, LPS, a crocea clam as well as many other polyps and corals that just flourish.

I think MH is awesome when it comes to a cool shimmer and sweet lighting dont get me wrong. would have it in every tank, but keeping any coral comes down to keeping your water in good parameters in my opinion.

Edited by fyrmn14 - January 12 2009 at 2:53am
This isn't a hobby...its a sport...they should put it in the olympics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 9:18am
Thanks, I need to get more pictures posted here of her tank.

Mike

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 10:38am
Originally posted by fyrmn14 fyrmn14 wrote:

I snagged a nano tank off Will (Thanks again WillSmile) that is running PC only lighting. It has SPS, Leathers, LPS, a crocea clam as well as many other polyps and corals that just flourish.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.
Hobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 11:44am
WOW WOW AND WOW!!!!!  This is what I would like my tank to look like!  How long has this tank been up and running? 

Edited by Hobby - February 03 2009 at 11:45am
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 9:08am
Thank you.  The tank has been up since September '08.  I did have a lot of the stuff in my 29 gal so I just moved it over.  It took me about a week to get everything transferred over.  I wanted to take my time putting things in so that I could get things where they would thrive.  My 29 gal is now my seahorse tank. 

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic