Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedValentine's Banquet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:05pm
Here is a good discussion:

Is it better to have not sold out and accomodated all, or year after year leave people out in the cold and "selling out".

Like I said before, we should:

1. Look at the membership pattern over the last 15 months
2. Understand the natural occurance of light meetings in the summer
3. Understand that if we think that 40-60% of the meetings will be near capacity of our current digs and we want to grow the club, then we had better work at finding a new location.
4. If club growth is not desired, then keep cramming people into the same space and those that do not enjoy that environment will not continue to attend and so goes the membership growth. Maybe this is not a problem for the club if a "tight-group" is happy keeping it cozy.
5. For the banquet, if we need a more expansive and expensive location, build it into the cost...maybe do a survey a few months prior as to what is a reasonable price people would pay for the event.

Oh, and just curious, what is the person-capacity for this event...in other words, how many tickets were there to sell?

Edited by thefu - January 15 2009 at 3:10pm
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:06pm
We actually did get a room a couple years ago at the High School there by the Rose Garden.  When Julian Sprung came to speak we figured we would need a much larger room than usual.  We used their little theater that would seat about 200 people.  The cost of the room was VERY high compared to the Rose Garden House.  I believe it was over $300 for 3 hours with a penalty for using it more than 3 hours, plus we had to put an extra $200 cleaning deposit down, that was refunded afterward when we left the place clean. (Cleaner than the rest of the school by far if anyone remembers.)  We were not allowed to have any food, and certainly would not have been allowed to do anything with water.  To top it off we had nowhere near the attendance we expected and could easily have done it at the Rose Garden House. 

So, in the past the presidency has seriously discussed getting a bigger location and spent some time looking for places, but either the expense or the rules for the places we have found never seem to fit what we need.  We would love some suggestions that we could look into though if anyone knows of a possibility.
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:07pm

Shane,

One of the many reasons I am no longer a paid member.

Dion,
That is a joke right? Holding it at Chuck's?

Deb,
Back in the day we had non-members pay $5 at the door.  I was so impressed to see some of these people that even as a member I still donated five at the door, but I could care less about the food, and won't pay $20 to see a speaker.  I just thought that maybe this meeting should be an extra meeting held on a different night so that we could still have a club meeting.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:07pm
Adam, did we not expand this year by 20 tickets?
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:11pm
how many tickets have we sold Will?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by jpiotrowski jpiotrowski wrote:

Dion,
That is a joke right? Holding it at Chuck's?

I warned you some people wouldnt like the choice.(no matter what it was) we looked at all of these options last year.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:32pm
We did increase the number of tickets this year, we sold 80 tickets. 

Last year we didn't sell out until right at the end.  I thought we were pushing it to sell out 80 tickets. 

I do like John's idea of holding the banquet on a separate night, so it is in addition to the regular meeting and not in place of a regular meeting.  Something we should consider next year.  But as was said, the purpose of this was to do something Fishy and special for the spouses.

Where were all these comments last year?  No one was upset for not making it last year and no one suggested we have it at a bigger location.  Heck Larry's wife hated it so much she told him she's never coming to another meeting (he bought one banquet ticket this year Embarrassed).

I'm thrilled to see this much response.  Maybe this is a sign of some very successful events to come for the rest of this year.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:42pm
And in defence of last year's presidency- they did consider all the things you are talking about.  They talked about cost, location, number of tickets, best speaker to get, best day of the week, raffle?, door prize?, meal choices. 

You may not like the results, but don't assume they didn't discuss all this before.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:56pm

This is why I said we should study the membership curves and see how they correlate to the past regarding new membership vs. attrition.  With 200+ club members, 40 pairs of tickets seems kinda low. But, I have nothing to compare that to since I have no idea what the club membership was in 12/2007.

thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

And in defence of last year's presidency- they did consider all the things you are talking about.  They talked about cost, location, number of tickets, best speaker to get, best day of the week, raffle?, door prize?, meal choices. 

You may not like the results, but don't assume they didn't discuss all this before.

Adam

Since I am in the survey and feedback business, I would suggest that for these types of things, a survey of the membership with a fixed set options might be a good way to go. Then, its the membership that is decides and the presidency is not seen as working in a vacuum from the membership as a whole.

This forum is a great way to get the input (just like the post-frag-fest input) post-event. If the presidency rolls that feedback into a set few options (that make sense based on their greater knowledge of whats possible), puts it to a vote, and then we at least have a consensus to fall back on and everyone knows there faction had a fair shake.

The technology is in place here, lets use it!
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 4:24pm
At this point in the year the membership isn't usually near 200 though.
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
jfinch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:12pm

I do like John's idea of holding the banquet on a separate night, so it is in addition to the regular meeting and not in place of a regular meeting.

If you're looking for opinions, I don't like that idea.  It can be hard to set aside a single night each month, setting aside two would be twice as hard.

It's sad and unfortunate that anyone gets left out.  Are you sure we can't fit more tables in the building?  You know, obstructed view behind the stage (erasing memories of that Dave Mathews Band concert...).
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:17pm
Jon - funny you should mention an obstructed view. We considered using room 2 (where we currently set up the buffet line) for additional tables and using a video feed from room 1 to accomodate those people. It was eventually decided that those in room 2 would feel second rate. 

Again - it comes down to not be able to please all the people all the time.  If we try, we'll end up pleasing none of the people all the time. 
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:29pm
BTW, are you seriously suggesting opening up every decision to a vote of the club membership?  How slowly the wheels would turn ....   There were like 8 or 10 options for food from the caterer we chose for this event. Imagine if we polled all 100 plus members on those 10 options - consider price, consider popularity, consider messisness - I can't imagine we'd get anything done in this scenario.

Those who voted for me will have to trust that I will act in their best interests (and not in a vacuum). Running the club is already stressful enough without having to take a poll everytime we make a decision -like determining if we want paper or cloth napkins at the banquet.  (BTW, I encouraged cloth - lets class it up a bit).

I tend to agree with Adam that it is encouraging to see so much response. I just hope its to provide constructive critism and not to arm chair quarterback every move the presidency makes.
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

BTW, are you seriously suggesting opening up every decision to a vote of the club membership?  How slowly the wheels would turn ....   There were like 8 or 10 options for food from the caterer we chose for this event. Imagine if we polled all 100 plus members on those 10 options - consider price, consider popularity, consider messisness - I can't imagine we'd get anything done in this scenario.

Those who voted for me will have to trust that I will act in their best interests (and not in a vacuum). Running the club is already stressful enough without having to take a poll everytime we make a decision -like determining if we want paper or cloth napkins at the banquet.  (BTW, I encouraged cloth - lets class it up a bit).

I tend to agree with Adam that it is encouraging to see so much response. I just hope its to provide constructive critism and not to arm chair quarterback every move the presidency makes.

Why provide napkins, just put tableclothes on every table. 

West Jordan
Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:54pm
Hey, Where was I when napkins were being discussed?  Geeze...I get left out of everything.LOL

On a serious note...What if we opened up that second room and video feed into that room.  Only charge $10 and have it be for people that want to go but not eat dinner.  then we wouldn't even need to set up tables, just chairs facing the video.  Just a thought.......

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
dons View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:59pm
It's funny how many people come out now with an opinion yet don't want to serve on the presidency yet have so much to say about them and how things are done.  Having served on presidencies of other clubs for different hobbies and seeing how things have to be run, there is no way membership can be polled on every single issue that the club is faced with.  First off you need to remember that most of the presidency work full time jobs and have families, there just isn't time to devote all of their time to polling or for that matter worrying about those that didn't get tickets to the valentines banquet.

I didn't get tickets and yes I will miss a great club meeting but oh well maybe next time I will get the tickets quicker.  I think the presidency last year did a fantastic job and the new one is doing great as well.  There is no way everyone will be happy but that is just a fact that we all have to live with.

There is always things that can be improved and will most likely be changed.  I won't stop supporting the club because I didn't get to go to the banquet.

Just my .02

Edited by dons - January 15 2009 at 6:01pm
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Now you are being absurd so maybe I need to give you an example of how it would work.  Post this kind of poll in the members only area 3 months (or more) before the event...and again as the event gets closer:

We are planning our next Valentines Banquet for 2/6/2010.  We need to get an idea of how many people would attend such an event.  The dinner will be a nice catered buffet and we will have a top line speaker in reefkeeping<link to summary of last years event>. The cost will be $30.  Based on your feedback below we will determine how much space we need to obtain for the event, as well as the catering.

a.  I am definitely attending the event
b.  I will most likely attend the event
c.  Its 50-50 whether I will go or not
d.  I will not attend

From this you can establish the need using percentages for the above choices...for example 80/60/30/0 and from that you know your conservative numbers...do it again in on 11/1 and 12/1.

You don't think this would be beneficial in the planning process?  And this is just one example.

The absurd part of the post is that you think its one or the other...either post a poll down to the minutea for every club decision or no poll at all. How does any leadership know what their constituents want without getting feedback...and who could say that less feedback is better.  Its not about trust...you cannot read minds. And for major events such as frag-fests and banquets, getting organized feedback (survey or poll) from the club as a whole should not seem like a burden.

This is not arm-chair quarterbacking...it only seems so when those on the other side take a defensive position. I am super grateful who donate their time for efforts such as you and others on the presidency have for years. I feel I have done nothing so far but provide ideas...I don't think I have yet criticized anything done in the past - constructive or otherwise. Sorry if I have come across as somehow ungrateful. And, I realize I have no idea what it takes...

Lets look forward.
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 6:21pm
I think if you asked me in November what I am doing on a weeknight if February I would tell you to ask me in February.

West Jordan
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 6:31pm
What about December? Do you RSVP to events/parties you are invited to?

Regardless, that could be one of the options (and calculated at 10%)...some people will know that they are going...some will not...the point is to get some idea...with enough time to know that you are on track or not so that you can make adjustments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic