Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 7:20pm
If ya have to RSVP its usually too fancy for my liking Big smile
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 7:53pm
"Buy tonight or you might be sorry!" 
"It sells out every year, expect it to again this year"
Learn from this so you aren't sorry about your decision.  Just buy early.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in coming if there were many more than 80 folks there.  I think it is a decent limit. 

What about putting tickets for sell on the store all year long.  Of course details would probably not be available all year, but this may help with planning and no one could say they didn't have a chance. 

Home of the baby Picasso!
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in coming if there were many more than 80 folks there.  I think it is a decent limit. 
I hope this is not the feeling of the presidency since given he fact that there are 200+ members it would seem a bit elitist. The presidency alone could easily consume more than 20% of the tickets just for themselves at the current 80 seat limit. If we want to be an all inclusive club, we should HOPE to get a 50% turnout which would mean 150-200 attending depending how many fly solo

What about putting tickets for sell on the store all year long.  Of course details would probably not be available all year, but this may help with planning and no one could say they didn't have a chance. 

This is an EXCELLENT idea!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

Great  idea as long as they are non refundable. That way we would be guaranteed the funding. Also they would need to quit selling them about November so as to secure the meeting place and caterer.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:18pm
Terence - sorry, I didn't mean to get defensive. Your comments caught me at a bad time - I had just heard work is shutting down 2 days per month through mid year. I hate when they tell me which days I will use my vacation!

Deb - the napkin discussion was for last year's banquet. The banquet committee hasn't brought it up yet! Or, maybe they have and a decision has been made .... Smile 
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:19pm
You know it really doesn't matter because someone will still wine and complain it wasn't fair to them. Very sad...
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:44pm
Just to clarify- I think we do a great job of getting feedback and suggestions.  Heck when I was pres before I was always starting posts asking for suggestions for topics, speakers, and whatever else. 
For the frag fest we had 12... yes TWELVE NON Presidency members show up to help frag the corals.  That was 4 times the number of presidency members we had!!!!
That was great!  We love getting everyone involved so don't think this is an elitist presidency thing.  As Deb mentioned some pres members didn't come last year to the banquet, and some aren't coming this year. 

We've actually had several people say that.

Adam

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Irish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:17pm
It seems people are upset that they are missing Scott talk but not enough to have bought their banquet tickets before they sold out. The banquet didn't sell out at the January meeting (I sat and filled out the ticket information during the frag test and I know there were tickets left when the meeting was over) so it seems that everyone had the opportunity to purchase them. Scott Michael has spoken at this club on multiple occasions and I'm sure will be coming again in the future so I think that having him speak one time at a paid banquet meeting shouldn't be a huge issue. I think it's great that there is such an interest in this meeting, and if people are upset that they didn't get a ticket or the place is too small then I think it should show them that they need to purchase tickets earlier when they hear that it will sell out. I would also like to see club members look up meeting place information and catering information. Instead of assuming there is a better place I would like to see someone do the work and find one. Kudos to Deb and others that have spent time calling these places to find out what deals they have.

I would personally like to thank the presidency for throwing a nice meeting like this that spouses or friends can enjoy, it's nice to see so many people participating in a WMAS event even if this hobby isn't their passion.
IrishSis   "Tough times don't last, tough people do"
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:18pm
Thefu,
Extremley well put!  No we don't need to vote on napkins that is crazy talk, but a vote to see what club members are interested in is a totally different story.  No not everyone will be pleased but at least you will find out what the majority wants.  You could even sneak peak at what a good percentage of members want and go from there.  How is anyone to know what people want if they don't ask.
John
ps. To those of you who have kept this a civil discussion...thank you.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:47pm
ps. To those of you who have kept this a civil discussion...thank you.

My thanks as well.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
QuietOne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

You know it really doesn't matter because someone will still wine and complain it wasn't fair to them. Very sad...
Originally posted by ssilcox ssilcox wrote:

Originally posted by jpiotrowski

C) IMO I am being cheated out of a meeting

Cheated? Seriously? Not sure if your status is accurate - but according to the site you arent even a paid member. Embarrassed ... Cheated??

why do a few long time members, even presidency members, try to run people out of this club. he clearly was not happy and showed it by not paying for a membership. but he still cares enough to post and yet you insult him. are you trying to make this a group of just your buddies, or are you really open to letting other people be a part. i know that i would not stick around if i were picked on like this.{hence the new name}

Originally posted by dons dons wrote:

It's funny how many people come out now with an opinion yet don't want to serve on the presidency yet have so much to say about them and how things are done. 

dont forget that there were people who were willing to be pres members and help, but were turned down. couldnt you use some of those people to help the presidency that 'doesn't seem to have the time to do new things', or even ask and see what the general group wants?

i mean if this club doesnt want change, that is fine, but i think that people will jsut continue to leave.

this dinner does seems to just be for the 'elite clique' kind of like middle school

why not have it another night so that there can be a regular meeting?

i dont want this to be a slam, i just want to point out that a few people seem to be at the center of  every fight on this board, and dons, i dont mean you. as for shane, i read through your posts and it seems that you think this club should never change. you seem to be the first person to shoot down any thought or comment. maybe just try doing like adam and saying, 'yes we will discuss this at the pres meetings' instead of, 'i already thought about that and it wont work.' just a thought, take it or leave it.

jfinch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:49pm
I feel like I'm beginning to
spiral
down
the
drain...
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:07am
Never mind. Don't

Edited by ssilcox - January 16 2009 at 12:28am
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:09am
Want to

Edited by ssilcox - January 16 2009 at 12:28am
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:11am
Propagate the drama.

Pun intended LOL

Edited by ssilcox - January 16 2009 at 12:29am
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:46am
What I don't understand is why this meeting is all of a sudden such a big controversy. We have had it for years and the point is to have a nice dinner with a smaller group. Its not elitest cause anyone can buy tickets until they run out. We don't choose 80 people based on some popularity contest. If we made it a giant banquet it wouldn't be as personal.

West Jordan
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:54am
Originally posted by QuietOne QuietOne wrote:

Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Originally posted by ssilcox ssilcox wrote:

Originally posted by jpiotrowski

C) IMO I am being cheated out of a meeting

Cheated? Seriously? Not sure if your status is accurate - but according to the site you arent even a paid member. Embarrassed ... Cheated??

why do a few long time members, even presidency members, try to run people out of this club. he clearly was not happy and showed it by not paying for a membership. but he still cares enough to post and yet you insult him. are you trying to make this a group of just your buddies, or are you really open to letting other people be a part. i know that i would not stick around if i were picked on like this.{hence the new name}

Originally posted by dons dons wrote:

It's funny how many people come out now with an opinion yet don't want to serve on the presidency yet have so much to say about them and how things are done. 

dont forget that there were people who were willing to be pres members and help, but were turned down. couldnt you use some of those people to help the presidency that 'doesn't seem to have the time to do new things', or even ask and see what the general group wants?

i mean if this club doesnt want change, that is fine, but i think that people will jsut continue to leave.

this dinner does seems to just be for the 'elite clique' kind of like middle school

why not have it another night so that there can be a regular meeting?

i dont want this to be a slam, i just want to point out that a few people seem to be at the center of  every fight on this board, and dons, i dont mean you. as for shane, i read through your posts and it seems that you think this club should never change. you seem to be the first person to shoot down any thought or comment. maybe just try doing like adam and saying, 'yes we will discuss this at the pres meetings' instead of, 'i already thought about that and it wont work.' just a thought, take it or leave it.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17878&FID=14&PR=3

Not to be an ass but the rules are one username. If you have a problem with someone at least confront them as you instead of hiding behind a fake persona. At least Shane is being honest about things.

West Jordan
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:14am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

I feel like I'm beginning to
spiral
down
the
drain...

I hear ya, Jon and this thread just went from "civil" to "annoying" real quick Angry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not claiming to speak for anyone other than myself - but I am going to speak - and I don't need to make up a new username to say my piece...

I don't have any tickets to the Valentines Banquet, either.
I don't have any tickets because I waited too long to get them.
Read that again.

It's not Adam's fault
It's not Shane's fault
It's not anybody in the Presidency's fault
It's not because there wasn't adequate notice at the meetings, or adequate notice on the Board
It's not because Adam and several others here didn't post a dozen times "...get yours quickly because they sell out fast..."
It's not because I didn't get to "vote" on holding it in a bigger place, or on a different day, or what food should be served, or what color the friggin' napkins should be!

And it's not because some "elite clique" wants to keep me out - or "cheat me out of a meeting"...or "run me out of their club" AngryAngryAngry 

And I know whose fault it is - it is MY fault.

And I accept that - and don't feel the need to place the blame anyhere else.

And I don't expect the Presidency to have to justify why they can't "change things" at the last minute just because I didn't take the advice, heed the warnings, etc and ended up left out.

- Bob

P.S. I apologize for adding to this totally uneccessary "drama" - but at least I did so under my real username...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:43am
Well said.
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:58am
very well said. and if anyone really is that upset then you can buy my tickets! PM me and pay the 40 like I did and they are yours!!
75 Reef
55 Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic