Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedValentine's Banquet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valentine's Banquet
    Posted: January 14 2009 at 5:43pm
I've noticed that tickets are sold out for this.... and that maybe the reason this is capped is because of the location of our meetings. So what about the paid members who maybe want to hear Scott Michael speak, but didn't get a ticket in time ? Any chance of changing the meeting location so that all the members could come hear him speak or maybe having dinner and having him speak afterwards so that all the paid members can attend?

I have also noticed the parking and seating issues of the current meeting location. Perhaps its time we upgraded to somewhere that can accomodate our awesomely large group!
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 6:15pm
I concur, isn't there a school or church that we could move the event to?  I know this late notice is not ideal, but given the demand, it might be a good idea if possible.  I know that I missed out and so did my buddy Dave on getting tickets.

On the second issue above I also concur.  If these three meetings are any indication, at least for now, it looks like the club might be stretching the space.  Again, are there any schools or churches that might rent us their space?

I know that with the holiday meeting and the frag fest, there has been an uptick in membership. If these new members come to a meeting and they cannot get parking and have to walk a block in the snow and then come inside and the place is wall to wall people, I think this may affect the attrition rate of these new members.
Cameron View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 10:33pm
I am sure a church would to it for cheap to free.
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:57am

There are hotels, libraries, armories, city centers, tons of places that could be possible sites. I think money is an issue for the club, perhaps we are prepaid for the year.

Andreason's

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:04am

The presidency would most certainly consider moving locations.  We've moved many times before and I'm sure we'll move again.  If anyone has a location in mind please send me the info.

Requirements-
1st Thursday of the month from 6pm to 10pm
Must allow us to bring in (and spill) water
Must allow food
Current rent is $50 per month
Easy Freeway Access
Seat 150 people
Two rooms is ideal, for things like Frag Swaps

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Current rent is $50 per month

LOL That shut me up!
Andreason's

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:33am
well with the growth in memberships we should be able to afford a little big more expensive space that will fit us all?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:49am
Is there a growth in membership? I would be interested in seeing the growth and attrition numbers for the last 15 months.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:01pm
i counted 100 members on the paid members list. Currently. It seems it was a lot less last year?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:17pm
We ended with more than double that.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:54pm

Here is the problem with a bigger building (and the associated cost) - while we have huge, standing room only meetings in the winter - some summer meetings are lucky to get 40 people in attendance.

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:57pm
is there a contract we sign yearly? maybe we can just have the bigger building for the busy meetings.. frag swap, valentines, etc etc.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 1:56pm
Yearly? Yes.

Can you imagine the chaos of trying to guess which meeting needed to go to another building. as well as the cost, aggravation, people complaining due to them needing to go some where else, problems of them already being booked etc.

Just having to change a night at our current facility is a nightmare. They are booked for most of the year right off the bat.

I feel bad for any one that didn't get their tickets to the February meeting.

However it was publicized, warned about and in reality we don't know for sure how many will really want to come and "pay" to attend a meeting. We have discussed charging more, risking moving it to a larger facility. Praying that all of the tickets sold, and if we should even do this.

If there is this much desire next year then we definitely will have look at a larger seating area.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 1:59pm
well i guess my other concern is that maybe people arent interested in the dinner but are interested in the speaker... ?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:10pm
Well thats were the "wondering if we should even do this" comes in.

The whole reason for the banquet is NOT for the club members but for their spouses. Many of our members have spouses that do not come to the meeting because they either don't care or would rather not hear about skimate.
We have done this for the SPOUSES so that they can have a night to share with the club that isn't tank related.

I know its difficult to understand and it was a little crazy to try the first time but it was met with a good response. I believe this is just one more instance where its not possible to please every one all of the time.

Can you imagine if we booked a larger facility, booked more food and then didn't sell out? Can you imagine the backlash due to the club losing money over a meeting? Perks and all of the other BS aside. I would rather error on the side of safety and have a great meeting.

Maybe we ought to do this again later in the year, hold it at a Chuck a Rama or the likes. (people will complain about the restaurant chosen) Presell all of the tickets necessary to cover the expense. And if it didn't sell out cancel the meeting.

Is there enough desire to do that?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:27pm
A) My wife doesn't want to attend
B) I want to hear Scott
C) IMO I am being cheated out of a meeting
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:28pm
i understand the constraints on organizing events like this totally. I'm just trying to find a way to have enough room for everyone at meetings and get people who arent going to make it to dinner be able to see scott michael speak.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
ssilcox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by jpiotrowski jpiotrowski wrote:

Cheated? Seriously? Not sure if your status is accurate - but according to the site you arent even a paid member. Embarrassed ... Cheated??
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:33pm
I'm sorry you feel this way John. Unfortunately like I said We cant please everybody all of the time.

Crystall I under stand what your saying. However it is what it is. Would you be willing to try my suggestion for later in the year? Or is it just the speaker choice for this meeting? Would you be fickle about another meeting based just on the speaker?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by jpiotrowski jpiotrowski wrote:

A) My wife doesn't want to attend
B) I want to hear Scott

You don't HAVE to take your spouse  Adam clearly stated that more than once.  It was announced in Dec that everyone should get tickets early.  Adam announced it at the Jan meeting and on the board.  Everyone had the same chance to get tickets.  I was in the Presidency last year and didn't get to go because it sold out before I had the money to buy the tickets.   I even came close to not getting tickets this year. 

DebBig smile

Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic