Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richie's 28Gallon JBJ NanoCube HQI build.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richie's 28Gallon JBJ NanoCube HQI build.
    Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:15pm
Just set it up today... no water rock or sand yet :D

But figured I'd get the build started, and ask some questions.

Given the 3-stage (sponge, carbon, ceramic bio tubes) sumpless filtration system of the nano, what do you guys recommend for a sand bed?

I was thinking an inch of Crushed Coral, then a couple inches of Aragonite? Should I do more/less of anything?

I also plan on between 30 and 50lbs of Live rock, depending how I can stack it.

Any advice from successful sumpless small systems?

Thanks in advance!!

I'm sure I'll keep this thread full of images along the way.
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:24pm
I try to stay away from crushed coral because it can cut up your fish. I like the look and Function of a deeper sandbed. I would go 2-3" IMO
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:27pm
I only use crushed coral as a base layer to allow for more pockets of good nitrifying bacteria... but thanks for the heads up!!
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:28pm
Good idea
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:08am
I've always used crushed coral and have not had any cut fish or heard of any.

Mike

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 7:08pm
About 40lbs of Live Rock
4" Deep Sand Bed (mix of crushed and aragonite)
1 Blue Damsel Smile

Front View:

Side View:

Still need to find the best settings for my point and shoot canon PowerShoot SD950 IS I welcome any pointers.

Edited by Xacttech - January 18 2009 at 7:09pm
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 7:24pm
I would not use the ceramic bio tubes. They are another version of Bio-Balls. Also I would get a Hydor Koralia Nano for added circulation.

I have the 24 Gallon JBJ. That is what I have done to mine. 
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 7:34pm
Do you use something in place of the bio balls, or just run without? Makes sense not to use them since I have so much rock. Also the new 28 Gallon JBJ nanos use 2 pumps, with 2 outlets and a wave maker, instead of the single unit that the 24's use. Do you still think I need a Koralia?
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 8:02pm
I run without the bio tubes. In my rear chambers I have a DIY sponge thing. Here is the link to that: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30488

I don't know if that will work with yours but I love it for mine.

I still like the more flow in mine. If those alternate then you are only talking about your tank being turned over 10x an hour. It is up to you. I would recommend it still.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 8:29pm
I left the sponge filter in my JBJ, but the second chamber is empty (houses a heater and the occasional carbon bag).
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 8:45pm
The tank is looking good.

Mike

dukester48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukester48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 9:19pm
When I had mine set up I ditched the bio balls and tubes and added some rubble and carbon to the second chamber .  At one point I added a light and was growing macro back there at night time but that ended up causing heat issues.
Underwater Monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underwater Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 9:59pm
i have sponge in first,... carbon bag, phos bag, and a bag of chaeto in second...heater in 3rd with dual chamber. I have a 150 aqua medic MH. and about 2 in aragonite, going to add another inch of sand soon.
I would like a koralia nano in mine. but the coral is growing fine so far.
55 gl Reef
24 gl nano Reef

copying what Eva does:
" I would love to come. Just let me know when and where." Saltybuck
saltybuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltybuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 10:48pm
I just posted my version of the 3 chambers in the back...  
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30920

Mike
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 10:48pm
love the rockrock.  I just have the stock filtration in my 24 gallon aquapod.  Mine is doing great.
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 9:40am
Tank Regressed a little :(

Looks like a couple pieces I added to the tank weren't entirely "cured" and were experiencing a little die off... Or the changes in parameters caused Die Off in my tank?? not entirely sure.

Tank has become very cloudy, and a couple patches on a couple rocks are getting the Die Off white film.

Tank Parameters still Show:
0 - nitrate
0 - nitrite
~300Kh - Alk
7.8 - PH

My test is showing 0 ammonia but I don't think it's  accurate, My test kit has expired so I don't trust it... (they do truly expire, don't they?)

Temperature: 79º-81º

Salinity: 1.025

As a Reminder I added, 1 Bag of Live sand, and 1 Bag of Aragonite, 35lbs total between the two, and approximately 50lbs of live rock, all of which I thought was cured... And 15 Gallons of live water from Dukesters tank, and 15 gallons of newly mixed RO/DI Instant Ocean.

I have a tank full of chitons, and Bristle Worms, I've noticed some are dying. My damsel doesn't seem distressed, but I'm worried it may have been too soon.

I've hooked up the skimmer, and It's pulling a good amount of Dark Thick Skimmate. (which I thought was interesting cause I only have the damsel in there pooping, but the new die  off must be causing it)

Advice?? 

I can't remember if I ever went through this phase when setting up tanks in the past.

Just wait it out? Water Change this weekend? (at the one week mark) If so, how much? Also what about Photo Period if my tank is acting like this?

I'll go pick up a fresh Ammonia kit this evening, and recheck.

Thanks for any advice, I'll also post a picture tonight.
saltybuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltybuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 10:26am
It might only be a temporary solution, but I would do a water change right away.  
Good luck!
Mike
dukester48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukester48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 10:59am
I would have to say.... ABORT!!! Throw everything out and give up.  That is your safest bet. 

I find it strange that your nitrates are measuring at zero because the tank that the 15 of the gallons came from is always on the higher side as far as nitrates are concerned.  I wouldnt do an immediate water change..., I would give it a couple days.
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 5:09pm
Definitely reading 0 on nitrates using brand new testing supplies... however, there may be some low level nitrates.

I guess the 50% addition of fresh water would cut your nitrates in half, so if you had 10ppm, this would make it ~5ppm and perhaps that doesn't register on a broad level nitrate test.

???

I'm no expert (OBVIOUSLY)...   I'm sure I just need to let it do its thing for ~10 days, I just feel bad for the dead chitons... And by them dying they increase my die off, so ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates may go up... 

Blech! Smile

Anyone else want to chime in, on my premature worries Big smile
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 7:05pm
Just got home from work... Dead Chitons, and Bristleworms all over... Yay... Sponge that was on the live rock has now turned to the white stringy film stuffs... 

I forgot the sponge wasn't supposed to be exposed to air... 

I'm sure my damsel will go any day, unless someone wants to rescue a damsel in distress... 

Wait out the storm?? (I'm assuming) Looks like 3-4 weeks out instead of 1-2 that I originally thought :(

I feel bad with all the inverts dying... 

I really thought I was going to be up and running in no time.

Edited by Xacttech - January 22 2009 at 7:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic