Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richie's 28Gallon JBJ NanoCube HQI build.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Humuhumu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humuhumu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 12:13pm
On my 12 gal, I only have a sponge and carbon filter. No bio-balls. With as much live rock as I have and you have (over 1lb per gal) the bio-balls can take away from the live rock's job from what I've been told multipul times.
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 3:31pm
Forgot to mention I removed my bio balls, left t he sponge and added more carbon... I have 50#'s of live rock, so I should be getting plenty of filtration... just now I"m getting die off... so I guess I'll just have to wait out the storm.
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 9:47am
Clap

Tank is absolutely crystal clear now... I guess it was a mini cycle after all. It's more clear than it was the day after I set it up.

Unfortunately most of my Chitons did die, and still have die off film on them, as did my sponge. Damsel is doing great, no rapid breathing or any ill symptoms.

I haven't done a water change and will give it another week.

End of the week I'll probably start slooowly stocking it :) Very excited.

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 7:45pm
Today I'm getting a major Diatomaceous algae bloom... Any advice?? 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 9:21pm
That is great! Things are going just as they should. My advice right now it patience. Once you start getting green algae you can start adding a clean up crew then a few corals then slowly add live stock over a few weeks time.

Mike

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 9:16am
Thanks Mike!!

I thought I remembered this happening in my first tank... 

Should I water change at all before the green algae?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 12:23pm
Some people say yes, others say no. Take your pick. On a small tank I probably would go for the water change.

Mike

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 1:44pm
Did a 5 gallon water change, and cleaned the glass... Diatoms almost gone, spots of green coming in. Clean up crew ordered, will be here first of the week.

Added 2 tank raised, tiny maroon clowns, that stay together all the time.

Water Crystal clear, no signs of chitons surviving the cycle :( but I do have a bit of pods, and feather dusters.

:)

Edited by Xacttech - February 01 2009 at 3:44pm
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2009 at 8:19pm
Alright...  Micro bubbles from hell coming from the skimmer... (the one that comes with the nano) It has it's own baffle, and is separated from the pump that goes back into the tank, but no matter what the water level, and no matter how high (dry) I skim, the bubbles still find their way.

Suggestions??

I was thinking putting a bunch of filter floss around the pump may act as a bubble trap, but it'll probably slow the pump a bit, and I'll have to change the floss fairly often.

I know bubbles can cause issues for corals in the future so I'd like to get the issue taken care of before I get the tank too stocked...

Tank is looking Killer aside from the bubbles... Crystal clear, and even some new coraline algae... unless I'm crazy... 

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 9:21am
Tank is still basically empty, but I have added some zoas, palys and mushies...

a few polyps of Orange Envy, Some BLue and Purples, some true Yellows, RPEs, some mixes of greens, blues and pinks. Some simple purple mushrooms with blue dots on them, and a superman monti. Hope to get some Frogspawn this week, and a couple other LPS. Pictures tonight.

Richie
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 8:20pm
Update with Images!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 8:34pm
Very nice. Those zoas are sweet!

Mike

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2009 at 9:20am
Thanks!

The nano HQI has 3 chambers in the back:
|oU|   | o| <- Like that the "o" being return pumps back to the main tank, the U being a skimmer. I am thinking of putting cheatomorpha in the middle chamber, and move my carbon to the chambers with the  return pumps.

Would there be any issues with doing that?? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2009 at 5:45pm
Will that give you any flow through the area with the skimmer and through the area with the chaeto? If so then it should work fine.

Mike

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2009 at 8:02pm
That's where all the flow comes from, since the new nanos have a center overflow, with two side returns...

==

I just added 2 Koralia Nanos hooked to a wave maker... Very nice flow... Probably going to upgrade my two factory return pumps to Maxi Jet 1200s, then I'll have a ton of circulation going through the back, and even more flow... Things are lookin' good, Water change this weekend.

Levels pretty good, but nitrates at about 20ppm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2009 at 8:19pm
If you are growing macro in the back then you don't want more flow through the back. If I was going to replace the pumps I would consider the MJ900. It is less watts so less heat transfered to the tank.

Mike

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 9:14am
Picking up some Chaeto in the next day or so...

Picked up a bunch more frags from Jared this weekend (Watermelons, Bright Orange Palys, and Tangerine Dreams, as well as an orange rhodactics)

Ordered Radium Bulb as well, It'll be here today :D, I'll take before and afters...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 10:56am
I look forward to seeing those pictures!

Mike

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2009 at 9:52am
took pics haven't pulled them...

Honestly not as dramatic an effect as I thought it was going to be. I was hoping the Radium would be more Bluish/Purple and it's a very subtle blue, where the stock 14K has a little more white/purple cast.

Granted the Radium isn't broken in.

I was really expecting that with the Radium I'd need some 10K PC supplements, but I'm going to add actinic supplements to make the corals a bit more colorful.  Can't argue with the growth rate, and coloring of corals under the radium bulbs (I've read), but for plain aesthetic the stock JBJ isn't far off. 

Pictures coming soon :)
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2009 at 9:20pm
Been a month I know Wink

In that month I've added about 10 more varieties of Zoas/Paly's Had a bit of growth, added a few different SPS, slight rework of rock, changed the back to a refugium, and just purchased a reef keeper. Wheew...

I eliminated the stock skimmer, it basically stopped working all together... Figure I'll get a Tunze nano skimmer in the future, but for now I don't feel I need one, I only have 2 small fish, and I only feed every few days. No signs of nuisance algae and my nitrates are down to >5. 

I just bought a canon 40D so I will have some decent pictures soon.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic