Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEvent Venue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Event Venue
    Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:08pm
Due to all the talk about events and meeting places I decided to make a few phone calls today.  I haven't called public schools yet.  If you have any other ideas, let me know and I will be happy to call them.

Salt Lake City Library
The are geared more towards public presentation.  Your event has to be approved.  They cannot accomodate a group of 80+ people until after library hours.  The cost for that is $1,100 and you have to use one of their caterers.  You have to pay to park.

Salt Lake County Libraries

1. Priority is given to County library meetings and activities, library co-sponsored activities, Salt Lake County activities and other nonprofit organizations.
  2. Nonprofit organizations may reserve rooms up to 60 days in advance of an activity. Inquiries regarding extended reservations may be made through Customer Services (943-4636).
  3. Rooms are available from 10:15 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday or 10:15 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
  4. All meetings must be open to the public unless closed by a public body in accordance with the Utah Open and Public Meetings Act.
  5. The person reserving the room must agree to the terms and conditions of the use of the room. Online applications are considered a valid signature.
  6. The individual reserving the room must have a valid library card in good standing and be at least 18 years old. This person will be designated as the responsible party and is legally responsible for any damages or breach of agreement.
  7. The library reserves the right to change or alter previously scheduled reservations at its discretion with prior notice to the responsible party to accommodate a group with a higher priority.
  8. Meetings held for commercial purposes are prohibited, including organizations whose primary purpose is to sell or solicit names for future sales or business referrals.
  9. No admission fees may be solicited or collected at the library. Sale of products or services is not permitted on library property.

Charges

1. There is no charge to individuals or groups for meeting room use, however, if   the User Responsibilities are not upheld charges may be assessed on the account of the individual who reserved the room.
    2.  Equipment may be available for a fee. Arrangements can be made through the reserving library.
  1. Damage to Library premises or equipment as a result of large meeting room use will be charged to the individual who reserved the room.

User Responsibilities

1. Group activities and room use cannot interfere with library business. This includes the impact an event will have on availability of parking for regular library business.
  1. No food or drink will be allowed in the rooms without library staff permission, with the exception of water in screw-top plastic containers.
  1. The library reserves the right to enforce the fire codes, noise limitations or any other rule approved by the Library Board.
  1. Setup and cleanup of all tables and chairs, including returning furniture to original locations is the responsibility of the reserving party.
  1. All rooms must be vacated 15 minutes before library closing. Any group or individual who does not vacate in a timely fashion will forfeit their deposit.
  1. Salt Lake County Library Services is not responsible for any group’s equipment, materials or personal belongings damaged or stolen.
  1. Groups are responsible for complying with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and for providing requested accommodations for meetings or programs. A statement regarding the availability of accommodations must be included in all publicity or notices.

Radisson Hotel--Airport
Can only accomodate 50 people

Country Inn and Suites--South Jordan
Four hours or less is $200.  Use their caterers

Utah museum of Natural History
Cannot accomodate a group of 80+ until after hours.  $1,400.  The plus is you get to rent the whole museumLOL

Lions Club Midvale
$200 plus $50 deposit. Can't accomodate a group that big for dinner.  Have to book a year in advance.

The Gather Place--Gardner Village- Midvale
Minimum of 70 people.  First 2 hours are free then $100 an hour after that.  Must have them cater.  $14-$30 per person plus 18% gratuity.  (not too bad IMO)

Utah Cultural Celebration Center--West Valley
Several options. 
1.  $125 room for 8 hours
2. $250 room fo 8 hours
3. $1,500 for 8 hours

SLCC Miller Campus
Karen Gail Miller Conference
72 people--$190
152 people- $350

Miller Free enterprise Center
96 people $160

DebBig smile

Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:11pm

the gather place is ok as long as you dont go over two hours! free free free!

I dont know what schools charge either. maybe they are free/cheap?

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:15pm
Your dreaming Crystal. If you think any meeting can be kept to under 2 hours complete is "crazy talk"
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:18pm
Thanks for doing this research for us Deb, I believe this is an important issue that needs to be decided soon.  
75 Reef
55 Reef

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:22pm
Good job Deb!

Remind me again in April why we were all so concerned! I predict April attendance = < 80, May attendance < 75, June attendance < 70, July attendance < 65 and so on through Sept / Oct .

I really hope I'm wrong, but historically attendance peaks in Jan/Feb and declines until the leaves are raked and the boats are put away.
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by tazman1982 tazman1982 wrote:

Thanks for doing this research for us Deb, I believe this is an important issue that needs to be decided soon.  

I dont get it.....It shows just how good a deal we get at the Rose Garden.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:28pm

exactly!! mabey it will make some people shut up!

75 Reef
55 Reef

Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:29pm
Minimum of 70 people.  First 2 hours are free then $100 an hour after that.  Must have them cater.  $14-$30 per person plus 18% gratuity.  (not too bad IMO)

BARF!  We had our company Christmas dinner there.  I had to leave early - it was horrible food!  The most overdune and dry prime rib I've ever had.
Home of the baby Picasso!
Eventine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:36pm
The Gather Place is a minimum of $1156 per month. That seems way steep. 
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by tazman1982 tazman1982 wrote:

exactly!! mabey it will make some people shut up!

My BAD!!!! I fully agree!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:38pm
I called a few places today as well.  When I get some numbers I'll post here.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:43pm

Thanks for taking the time to do this Deb. I think for a banquet there are some options out there but they may not be as inexpensive as the $20 set up we have now...but then again, we don't accomodate enough people so its not a fair comparison if it leaves too many people on the outside looking in.

For the weekly meetings I think that it really depends on the membership curves and how they compare to last year and the year before and what the growth goals are, if any.

Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Good job Deb!

Remind me again in April why we were all so concerned! I predict April attendance = < 80, May attendance < 75, June attendance < 70, July attendance < 65 and so on through Sept / Oct .

What was the Jan 15, 2008 and Jan 15, 2007 membership numbers. The reason is, your predictions on drop off will certainly happen, but it will be based on percentages and should be adjusted to this years beginning numbers.  And, do we keep attendance counts for the meetings, because we have to account for guests too.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:49pm
No prob Dion, I worded it wrong. I think the research still needed to be done. so I am Glad Deb has done it.  We may have to get a larger place for 2-3 months and then go back to the normal, like it has been said, Dec-Feb BIG meetings. the rest less and less.
I am glad it has been brought up, and seeing that it is being looked at. That is what the Presidency is for. So if any thing else the people that are complaning should be THANKFULL that the club is at least looking into it. I am sorry that not all got tickets. if they feel that bad I will sell mine to them and they can take our food choices. Pm ME and I will sell them to you!            40$ for the pair.

I do see both sides of this argument. so I am not taking sides just saying it as I see it.
75 Reef
55 Reef

Cameron View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:07pm
What about a Church, Deb?
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:14pm
I agree tazz. Its just unfortunate that there has to be so much time wasted on these discussions when its already been gone over many times. We could rent a bigger place for those few meetings but keep in mind we would still be paying on the old place as well. (contract) Churches typically wont want you to be having monthly meetings with 60+people and definitely wont want the water issue.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

BARF!  We had our company Christmas dinner there.  I had to leave early - it was horrible food!  The most overdune and dry prime rib I've ever had.

Will actually told us the same thing at dinner after the meeting this month.  We were talking about horrible food and he brought up the dry prime rib there.

DebBig smile
Acrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:44pm
No churches.
90g Reef
Debbles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Acrid Acrid wrote:

No churches.

I agree.  I was actually given the numbers of a few by the lady at the Salt Lake City library but I personally don't want to open up a religious can of worms.

DebBig smile
Acrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:55pm
Thumbs Up
90g Reef
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

BARF!  We had our company Christmas dinner there.  I had to leave early - it was horrible food!  The most overdone and dry prime rib I've ever had.

Were you at the Sheriff's Posse dinner there.  I didn't know you were in that club too.Wink

Your post is almost word for word what I was going to say.  Did you get a choice of drink or just red punch for everyone...even diabetics.

We only have about 16 members in the Sheriff's Posse and I felt so bad for the girl, the VP by the way, that booked that place.  We loved her presentation, but every comment on the food was bad.  No wonder the Sheriff sent his 2nd in his place.

We had a banquet room and not the actual Gather Place.  I was so looking forward to a great piece of Prime Rib, my favorite food ever, and it was just like you experienced it.  Very dry, WAAAAAYYYYY overcooked and cold to boot.  We only got horse radish and beef broth after half the room complained about the meat.

Sad Really, I've always heard good things about the restaurant there.  Next time I want Prime Rib it's off to Texas Roadhouse. 

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... Roadhouse......Auugggghhhhh!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic