Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'nother WII question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
IdahoReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'nother WII question
    Posted: January 21 2009 at 6:28pm
Seems that http://wetwebmedia.com/HighInvertInd.htm (HAH! beat you to it Jeff!!) is becoming the reference of choice this week, but thought I would ask anyway.

WHAT IS IT????

Edited by IdahoReef - January 21 2009 at 6:29pm
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 6:41pm
Maybe Suncoral
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

IdahoReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 7:05pm
The tubes are MAYBE 1/16" in diameter. I have seen colonies of them in a couple of places (two currently). I killed them off in one place because I thought they were aiptasia but decided to let them go this time.

Even if I knew what classification they might be I could TRY to find them ion that HUGE site.

Never had sun corals in my tank and I did NOT add these. Tank has been up for about 6 months.
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:01pm
Have you ever added pods tp your tank? They are still there.....

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:10pm
No they aren't sun coral and they aren't aptasia. My guess would be harmless. Maybe some kind of yellow polyp?
Andreason's

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:13pm
Why are you so positive they are not suncoral? They look almost identical to some of my suncoral. They are not the conventional suncoral. They are alot smaller and look identical to that, except more yellow.

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:21pm

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:24pm
For one, the heads that do not have tentacles extended look very different in a sun coral. In a sun coral the mouths look different, the tentacles are fatter, the tubes shorter and fatter and where they come together is more 'meaty' and less separate. Also the tentacles in the picture are in a single line around the edge of the polyp.

This seems to have a harder tube of some kind, which makes me think not an anenome. Could be worms but they don't usually tend to stick together like that in my experience. The mouths are really interesting.
Andreason's

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:27pm
Oh dang. I can't see your pic. It has a red X. Is that a problem on my end? I usually can see photos on here.
Andreason's

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:29pm
I can see it......

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:43pm
Weird. I copied the red x and pasted it in word and the pic showed up. It is super hard to see the tentacles in the pic. The ones that are not extended look like they have really solid ends. The mouths look like duncans or zoas. They have a stubbiness to them. The pic looks like this coral was from the ocean and not aquacultured? They also appear to shrink down a tiny bit when closed? Instead of staying long and skinny. They look completely different to me, but I am wrong all the time LOL
Andreason's

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:44pm
I have some in my tank. They are pretty cool. They are suncoral

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:48pm
Right. I agree the pic you posted is of sun coral. I do not think that the pic Idaho Reef posted is. I think it is something else. They look completely different to me.
Andreason's

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:53pm
Ok. We will see

IdahoReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:57pm
Cameron, I don't even get a red X. Cry
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 9:59pm
Look like yellow polyps to me.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 10:02pm
210 gallon Mixed Reef
IdahoReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 10:13pm
I have yellow polyps in my tank that look like the ones in that link. Mine are about 10-15 times bigger than the ones I posted in the picture above.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2009 at 10:17pm
ahh, I'll keep lookin'. Smile
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 2:08am
I'd bet money they are a tube worm of some kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic