FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moroon being bad girl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moroon being bad girl
    Posted: January 28 2009 at 8:14am
Okay how do i punish my Maroon Clown?  I bought some frog spawn the other day and placed it where i wanted it on the opposite side of the tank from my maroon, however the next day when i got home from work she had knocked it over, I put it back up and before my arm was dry there she goes again knocking it over, so i try placing it elsewhere same thing, so i build a "rock fortress" around the coral and she tears it apart one rock at a time and then knocks over the coral.  Any ideas why she hates this coral so bad?  and why she is knocking over rocks to get to it? 
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 8:57am
Is she trying to host it?
Andreason's

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 9:44am
Is She PMS'ing?
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 9:53am
LMAO.........I feel your pain! I have a stupid yellow damsel that I've had for years and I don't have the heart to get rid of it. Every time I add new coral, it seems to be a constant fight. I've even gotten to the point that I was trying to flick him under water because he wouldn't even give it enough time for me to pull my arm out before attacking (me and the coral). Now I try to trick him and move something else to confuse him. It really pleases me when I find that he's knocked it onto another coral Censored
I also super glue as well as putty to try and better my chances. Sometimes that's not enough. My perculas on the other hand couldn't be more friendly and curious (yes, I know it's a TOTALLY different breed there)
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

Sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....and then it hits me
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 11:23am
Not trying to host it at all, she is just being malicious towards it.  She has a Ritteri Anemone that is about 12-14 inches that she hosts.  She is about 4-5 inch and is literally moving rocks that weight about 1/4lb by ramming them to get to the coral.  She has always got mad at me when i change the rocks around and she redecorates the way she wants, but she has never just attacked a coral before.  
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 1:32pm

I have the same issue with a GSM.  A real punk.  She is at least 4" long and bites.  She has knocked of stuff I would have never thought a fish could move.  2-3lb rocks are no trouble.  She often picks up the new piece and moves it to the sand several inches from where it was on the rocks... If I hadn't seen it so many times I wouldn't believe it.  And yes there is the occasional piece that they just won't leave alone... guess it means you have to another new piece so she has to chose which to go after first.

Sometimes it helps to have a "stick" (long grabbers or something that won't fall in when attacked) on the other side of the tank.  That might provide enought distraction that you can at least get it placed.  Then it's a fight to see who is better, you or the clown.  I take the stick (in this case grabbers) and put them in the tank next to the new piece.  Every time the clown gets too close chase her off with the stick.  It could take several minutes of this, but it sometimes teaches them to not mess with it.  Other than that... they really don't like things changed in the tank, so sometimes I will change a couple things at the same time just to mess with her.  I've even rearranged half the corals just to make her leave the new one alone.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic