Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Make Over...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Make Over...
    Posted: January 28 2009 at 11:19am
My sister had this idea and I was wondering the possibility...

You've all seen (or heard of) that show about doing a home make over...Where they come in and total re-do a home.

Well, what about doing that once or twice a year with someone's tank?  It would need to be documented (photographed).  For one of the monthly meetings, we could showcase the effort when complete.  Show pictures and describe the tank before.  Show pictures "in-progress" and talk about what changes were made.  Then show the final tank.

Certain high cost things, like lights, probably couldn't be changed...

But, I think there are people out there just starting out or having problems.  The club could come together by donating time, equipment, livestock, etc...everyone comes out on a Saturday (or evening) to re-work  the tank.  Maybe even do two days if needed...

We could let members (only available to paid members) buy raffle tickets if they want this service...or we could let them submit a write up on why they would like the make over and let people vote in a poll on the message board.

We could let a LFS sponsor it (amazing advertising possibilities).  Have a nice plaque that the recipient could display on the tank.  Give a discount for these purchases and we push people to go to this store if they are going to purchase anything for the make over.  the store could create a poster showing before, during, after pictures for ALL of their clients to see.  Let people know the store is there to help too!

I know I would love to donate for a cause like this.  I bet many would.  We always say we are there to help...

Edited by Summertop - January 28 2009 at 11:24am
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 11:40am
You've got some great ideas there that have been simmering across the street.
Cell 801 860-7333
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 12:12pm
Very cool idea! It sounds like fun.
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 12:24pm
I'd be willing to volunteer my 125 to be the guinea pig Big smile 
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 12:28pm
I think you should start a poll.

Mike

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 2:10pm
HELL YEA!
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 4:01pm
i'm all for it.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 4:08pm

My work has done that for Extreme Home Makeover.  I'd be down to come help build even donate if needed.

Edited by Turbostud653 - March 06 2009 at 11:11am
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 11:49pm
Im in for it, expecially if my tank gets picked.  I wouldn't even mind if I was the third one to win.Big smile
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 10:16am
Wow, this seems to be popular.  As I think about it more, I like the idea of having people submit requests, then do a poll to pick one.

I think this could be an nice way to get people out and excited about the club during historically slow times (summer time).
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 1:08pm
Pimp My Tank,
We could add flip out flatscreens and systems, lol

I think its a great idea and would be a great advertising venue for stores and a good way to get good information out to hobbyists.

Maybe it would allow us to see less people giving up and getting out of the hobby.
I would stay away from the big ticket items like you stated, but it would be easy to help people add a refugium to their sump, redo rock work/remove sand etc...
Go over feeding schedules and maintenance plans.
Doing skimmer modifications etc would be low cost and helpful as well.

Great Idea
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 8:28am
The Presidency discussed this last night.

First, we really like the idea of the club and the members all getting together to work on a project like this.  Here is a list of concerns and requirements we'd need to solve before we can go for it.

1) We wouldn't want to do this for an individual or for a club member.  It was brought up that stacking rock, hanging lights, aquascaping, and all that is what makes the hobby fun.  It is a learning hobby, not just a piece of art to sit in the corner.  Therefore we'd really be taking away a great experience from the tank owner if we did all that for them.

2) We'd really like to do this for a school, a day care, a children's museum... something like that.

3) After setting up the tank... we're walking away.  Therefore we have a requirement that the recipient be prepared to take over the care and maintenance.  If this is a school someone better have access all summer long, and they need someone to be the point person to care for the tank.  (it would be great if they had a club member who worked there or something like that)

4) The recipient would need to understand the costs to them.  We may get a tank donated, we may not.  We may get lights donated, we may not.  They would also have to be willing to take on the ongoing costs (livestock, salt, new bulbs) after we leave.

If someone has suggestions and nominations for recipients please send them to me.

Adam 
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2009 at 5:36pm
Hope its alright to comment...after you met on this.  Maybe you can bring it up again...Or not.

I think schools are hard because of the whole "Summer" issue.

Mostly what I was envisioning was someone in the club (paid member) that is having problems.  May be they set a new one up and its not going so well, or they had a catastrophic event and could use some help.  I am not talking setting/giving a new system out...Just helping someone in a bigger way than just giving advice...Hopefully to keep them in the hobby.

Periodically, someone posts on the forum about a tank crash.  For example:
  • My sister had her ceiling collapse...Took a long time to get it back up
  • You leave town, the caregiver did something wrong...
  • You main tank starts leaking...

I guess my concept was, someone has a problem with their tank and are on the brink of tearing it down and calling it quits...Maybe we could step in and save the day.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
drivr08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivr08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 3:37am
i dont know about donating time i dont have alot of that but if i can donate corals or fish i would even if i had to buy them for the one getting the make over
loving life as a english teacher kids are what the world is made of
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 5:39pm
This sounds really cool, but I can also see the political nightmare it could become.  

My suggestions:

Like the TV show, the recipient would need to be chosen by the Board from the "undeserving poor" who applied for consideration.  Precautions would need to be in place that prevented the long-time stalwarts of the club just scratching each other's backs.

Recipients would need to be from the paid membership rolls. (That's from someone not on those rolls yet, btw)

I would recommend the recipient demonstrate their sincerity by commiting to the project financially at some level.  Lighting was mentioned as a financial backbreaker from a volunteer effort.  I could see a tank owner fronting the lights for their makeover, for instance.

Having the project sponsored by a LFS is a great idea.  A must, IMO.  Their benefits and opportunities for being involved were very well stated.  As much of the purchased hardware and livestock as is reasonable would need to come from this LFS.

Any approved makeover would need to be well planned.  Upgrades and changes would need to be detailed and approved by the recipient.  40 enthusiastic hobbyiest decending on someone's home could be a nightmare, not a dream come true.

The club and members would need to have some protection from retribution/litigation if things went wrong.  We've heard the quote that "No good deed goes unpunished."  a disclaimer and release written in the proper legalese would be important.  A mod gone bad, a death in reef, flood... just cover the bases.

Think about it - the most followed threads are the "build" ones, and this has the potential to manufacture 1-2 of these a year with far-reaching results.  It will not be easy to do something like this, but I think it's well worth the effort to put it together.  I recommend that the Board try a mock run to work out the bugs and wrinkles before going public, but DO IT.  This is really a great idea.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 8:42pm
Your post just shows what a night mare this could/would become.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
jamzdean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamzdean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 9:12pm
This doesnt have to be expensive or a nightmare.  Sometimes just having people in your home with knowledge and some good ideas is the best fix.  We all started as a newb (I am still one of them).  I am hoping that I can get a mentor/mentors that will help me with my tank setup and questions.  What better way to get members in a home to help out?

When I look at some of the posts I see a lot of potential for some of the tanks (ie. painting the back of the tank to hide all the crap behind the tank, aquascaping, types of corals in the supplied lighting, etc.)  Maybe a few dontated frags that are appropriate for the tank/lighting/filtration.   I would like to see this more as a boost for some members tanks, not to mention to relieve their frustration.   We may need to turn down some tanks that are not adequate for corals, unless they are willing to shell out some of their own clams (even a lot of the reality shows uses the homeowners own money).  Maybe the help of the LFS could come into play here.

I understand some of the concerns, but I like that people are throwing great ideas out there.  I know that all ideas can't be done, but it sounds like there are some people out there willing to help out with this one.  I hope you will re-look at this and not just shoot it down.

Summertop, keep the ideas coming, we all appreciate it.
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 8:48pm
as cool of an idea this is I see lots more bad coming out than good total makeover is a lot to ask if people need help they should be informed to ask and I bet people would help if they asked I bet if I put a post that my sump broke and I need one tonight to fit in my stand and said I didnt have any money someone one would give me one to get by tonight 
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 10:34am
Sounds like a great idea!  Yes, like anything else it will have to be well thought out and there is potential for fallout but should that keep the club from doing something cool like this?  To help prevent some of your worries Adam, eliminate #2 (therefore and 1) and the rest should fall into place. 
Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Your post just shows what a night mare this could/would become.
Lamp I second Dion on this one!
Sounds like it could be more trouble than good, plus maybe its just me but I like ideas from people but I like to be the one to do what I like and not just have "their tank" in my house!
JMO
I dont mean to brag but, yeah it's 6ft long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic