Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feb. Banquet-Scott Michael Recap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feb. Banquet-Scott Michael Recap
    Posted: February 06 2009 at 8:25pm
Attendance roughly 79
Tank of the month-Matt James (Turbostud53)
Speaker: Scott Michael

Oh what a night! Where do I start?  The night started off great.  The Rose Garden house was decorated so beautifully.  There was lanterns lighting the walkway up to the doorway.  The tables all had beautiful tablecloths with amazing candle and seashell center pieces.  There was paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling and beautiful ferns decorating the walls.  Appetizers were available as you walked in.  The meeting started off with Adam welcoming everyone and explaining how the night would go.  Next Dion presented the TOTM.  I have to be honest here....I wasn't really paying too much attention because I knew what was coming next.  Dion announced that Matt had a few things to say about his tank....weird.  He stood up and you could just see him shaking.  He asked his girlfriend Lydia to stand by his side. (she later told me she couldn't believe he was talking in front of a group of people).  Matt explained how Lydia got him started in salt water a little over a year ago and then said he wanted to be the fish in her sea (or something like that...again I was so excited I forgot to write it down.)  He then said he loved her very much and got down on one knee and proposed.  She was shaking so bad she couldn't say yes right away.  It was great. Adam gave them their first engagement present, a Scott Michael book.  Next Adam had Shane Heil stand in the front...we were all kind of nervous at this point, we was hoping there wasn't going to be another proposal.LOL.   Adam thanked Shane for the wonderful job he did as club president and presented him with the coveted Lifetime membership award.

Next, Adam introduced Scott Michael.  Scott talked about how he got started in salt water.  He explained that he had his first tank in 1973.  It was a 20 gal tank with an anemone fish and a Mandarin.  In 1974 he started his interest in Moray eels.  He explained that in the aquaria books in 1974 they said to feed every fish "Norwegian canned brine shrimp".  He said he had no idea where to even buy the stuff.  In 1979 Scott went to New Zealand as a foreign exchange student.  In 1982 he was already married and was working at a lfs but not for money, for fish and supplies.  It was his only job.  Also in 1982 he had a wonderful new aquarium.  In it there was lava rock and dead coral.  In 1983 hair algae was all the rage.  People actually added Seaguard to promote growth.  Everyone thought if they had tons of hair algae thier tank was healthy.  In 1986 Scott began his field work going to reefs to learn about fish and coral.  He spent 1991 and 1992 in Pakistan.  Scott has started studying bears.  He went to Alaska to study them.  He has a blog he shared with us..... www.gobiestogrizzlies.blogspot.com.  Scott did mention that his new book may be his last in the series.  He said that book sales just aren't what they used to be.  So if you get a chance, grab one of his books. 

Dinner was served buffet style.  There was salad, rolls, coleslaw, corn, ribs, chicken, lasagna and baked potatoes.  Dessert was great.  There was eclairs, cream puffs, cheesecake and Matt's famous chocolate cake.

The night ended with a raffle for some great gift baskets.  Some of the baskets were:  a frag tool basket, a bbq basket, a popcorn basket,  a cake basket and as Sukie said "a foo foo" basket.  It was very cool because almost all the baskets had a Scott Michael book in them. 

As the meeting came to a close Scott hung out and signed books and talked to anyone that wanted to talk.   

Thanks everyone that made last night possible and Congratulations to Matt and Lydia.

Matt and Lydia

The gift baskets

Scott signing books

Part of "the cleanup crew"

Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 8:32pm
Well done Debbie!!!!! Very nice!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 8:48pm
WOW - it looks like it was a great time! ClapClapClap

I'm sorry I missed it... I guess there is always next year! Thumbs Up

And the marriage proposal thing sounds so cute...
- My Current Tank: 150g Mixed Reef -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 9:06pm
Great write up Debbie! It sure was a great time.

Mike

Summertop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 10:06am
Awesome write up Debbie.  To add to it, a few of us (very few) met at the garden house around 1:00.  From there we went to lunch (I love potstickers).  After lunch we went around to several used book stores.  Sam Wellers on main street is cool!  We even made it out to sandy and checked out the Aquarium.  Ah, too many things I want!  We even made it to an office supply store.  But the real fun was spending time with Scott Michael.  He is such a nice guy.  Very easy to talk to.  As you saw at the meeting, very funny and engaging in his stories.  As always, I can't wait till he comes to visit again!

BTW: Did anyone notice...In the picture of the "Lifetime Membership Card" for Shane, there is a picture a trophy.  On the trophy is an engraving saying...."Jake Pehrson"

Hope it gets fixed before printing...

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
You can buy your 2017 membership Here!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 10:16am
Deb-
That is a GREAT write up!  Very, very well done.
You forgot to mention the cool little chocolate bag place settings with names.... I thought there we fabulous Embarrassed

Adam
ps- my thanks to everyone who helped put on this show.
Next Meeting: Garage Sale
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 12:53pm
Great write-up.  I had a great time, as I am sure everyone else did.  Scott is by far my favorite speaker and look forward to having him here again.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 10:10pm
Good Stuff! Thumbs Up

Linn
ksarcury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksarcury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2009 at 9:43am
This was our first meeting since joining the club, and we weren't quite sure what to expect.  The room was lovely, the tables were beautifully set, the company was wonderful and the speaker was interesting and entertaining.  I don't usually have too high of expectations for "banquet" food, but was pleasantly surprised with the quality and selection.  It was yummy!  Great job to all involved!!!!  We were very glad we came.

You guys are all a class act, and we look forward to learning more with such a nice group of people!

Thanks for a great time.

Sam and Kenna Arcury
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2009 at 12:13pm
I am glad you went Sam and Kenna.  It was great meeting you guys. 

DebBig smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 11:14pm
Thats funny i was able to avoid getting any pictures of me at the meeting, you can't prove i was there lol
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
Eric@utahaquariumdoctors.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic