FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calcium Reactor Q?'s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calcium Reactor Q?'s
    Posted: February 14 2009 at 11:23am
I just picked up a euro reef calcium reactor yesterday and I was wanting to know if anyone on here has one and uses it.  Mostly I have a few questions about setting it up.  Like how do all of the lines go?  I have the main idea of how it works but what does everyone do for useage?  Do you run it 24-7 or only with the lights on?  How many bubbles per min works for you?  Im just asking this so I can get it up and going here today.  And also so I dont have to do as much playing around with it to get it just right.  Thanks for taking you time to help me with this.

Edited by 1fishkeeper - February 16 2009 at 10:25am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 10:24am
Ok anyone have a calcium reactor that can give me some tips on how to get it working just right.  I have it up and running right now but how long should it run before I start to test and adjusting it?  Any input would be great thanks.
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 10:42am
Start off with a low bubble count and go up as needed from there, around 8-10 bubbles per minute. Same thing with the effluent, start off at around 40 drips per minute and adjust from there. To raise your alk output, raise your CO2 input (bpm).
Here's a good read:
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

Sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....and then it hits me
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 11:02am
Thanks
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 11:58am
e-mail sent.

Mike

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 12:05pm
I set up my first calcium reactor about 5 months ago. Heres what I've learned- 

If you run your Ca reactors flow from off of the main return pump, make sure you hook up your regulator on/off solenoid to the same power line as your pump. Having the co2 shut down the same time the pump does is a good idea. If you don't, you'll risk an over abundance of very acidic water pouring into your tank when the pump turns back on. And yes mine runs 24 hours a day right along with my return pump.

Over the first few weeks or even months, check your PH, Ca, and Alk like a hawk to make sure you are not adding too much acidic water to the tank or overdosing (mostly check your Ph though). A safety measure is to add a second reactor chamber (if you reactor didn't already come with one that is). This will help bring the water back to alkaline before it goes into the tank. 

Oh and if your needle valve begins to slow down on it's own, don't start raising the pressure from the co2 tank to compensate. Simply remove the bubble counter, back the needle valve off, and use a 1/16 drill to clean out the hole. That would of saved me $15 on the new needle valve if I had known that little trick.

Thats about all the tips I can think of off the top of my head. If you curious, here is the link to my DYI Ca reactor. It's had a few bugs to work out in the bigining but now it works flawlessly. http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28511&KW=caca

Sculpin

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 3:03pm
My first question would be are you sure you need a calcium reactor yet? many people think they are when in fact they are far from it.
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 3:49pm
Thanks Mike for the email.  Sculpin thanks for the tips its always good to learn what has worked and hasnt worked for others.  As for needing a Calcium reactor yes I have been dosing 2 part for a few months now and Im just getting tired of it.  My tank is mostly SPS's that are growning like mad.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 6:01pm
I know this isnt the same brand as yours is but they all run off the same basic ideas.  This thread has some great info on what you are trying to accomplish. 
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 6:24pm
Ok thanks thats great.  I was on there all day yesterday trying to find something like that but didnt.  For some reason the seach link wasnt working with me.  But I think I got it about there now its just time for lots of tests to do the fine adjustments on it.
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 7:04pm
You probably already know this, but I find that the best way to check if its adjusted right is to check the water that is coming from your effluent.  The ph should be around 6.8. If not then adjust the flow, or the bubble count. But, this can lower your ph in your display, so watch that also.  If your ph drops too much in your main display, you may want to run a kalk reactor also to counter the low ph from your calcium reactor.  I started doing this well over a year ago and my ph stays around 8.3 -8.4 always, thus keeping everything stable.
Stability is the key.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 7:54pm
how much part A/b ru adding daily???? what are you keeping your calcium at? alk? mag?
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 7:12pm

Well I think I got it going good.  Everything has been staying the same for a couple of days now but I will keep a good eye on it.  My parms are as follows, CA 440, KH 9.5, PH 8.2 tank, PH coming out of reactor 6.8   I would like to say thinks for everyones help with helping me out with it.

Edited by 1fishkeeper - February 18 2009 at 7:14pm
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 7:24pm
Looks like you are right where you want to be.  Just keep an eye on it for the next couple of weeks.
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 7:36pm
Yep I plan on testing everyday untill next week then I have to go to the great northwest for the weekend (Seattle and Tacoma).  By the way how was your trip Brad?
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 11:26pm
I'm still up hereUnhappy!  But its been nice.  The weather has been real good the last couple of days.  The good news is I'm coming home tomorrow.  920 miles of driving,  not fun.
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic