Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"slug" ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "slug" ID
    Posted: February 19 2009 at 9:45pm
What is this guy?  He is at least 6" long...

He peeked out of the rocks

He is crawling out further... and further...

"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2009 at 9:51pm
I cant think of what they are called right off the top of my head.  I had one in my tank but I moved it to the sump to never be seen again.  Mike told me what it was and that they are safe to have so maybe he will pop his head in to let you know.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2009 at 10:35pm
Well I wish I do and I wish I had taken pictures of it to add to my collection. It doesn't look scaled like a chiton. It does look like the flesh wraps back over a shell similar to a cowrie. Does anyone have any idea about this? Could you tell how it moved?

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2009 at 10:36pm
Great pictures Eva!

Mike

Eventine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eventine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2009 at 10:36pm
I asked her and she said it moves sluggishly like a sea hare.
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2009 at 11:00pm
Thats crazy looking, good luck with the ID.

Sculpin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 12:10am
Mike - If he starts to come out regularly you can come take his pic and add it to your collection.  Smile
He has mostly gone back into the hole he came out of, but he left this "slime web" behind.  It's like the stuff worms send out to collect food, but it is a web instead of a strand.

"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 12:45am
It is some kind of Chiton.  Thumbs Up
Still looking to see if I can find out what kind.

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 8:14am
Cool. Keep us posted!

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic