Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stressed/Sick Clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clismi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clismi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stressed/Sick Clownfish
    Posted: August 02 2004 at 6:53am

I got two clownfish (ocellaris) this weekend and made the mistake of letting the helper at the fish store choose them for me (figured he knew more than a newbie like me). 

One clownfish is doing great.

The other clownfish is stressed or sick and it is missing part of its tail fin and part of one fin behind its gill.  The reason I think it is stressed or sick is that it hasn't eaten (at least not any of the huge variety of frozen or flake food food I put in) in almost two days, its dorsal fin isn't extended very often, its mouth is open wider when it breathes, and it breathes at least twice as fast as the other clownfish.  No other visible symptoms yet.  Fortunately it swims around a lot and it flirts with the other clownfish.  I've also noticed that it does a lot better (swims around even more and explores more parts of the tank) when I shut off the tank lights and just leave the room lights on.

Should I simply wait or should I risk stressing it more with a freshwater dip in formaldehyde or methylene blue?

Thanks Salty Fish People!

Clifford Smith
Logan, UT
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 8:24am
Originally posted by clismi clismi wrote:

(at least not any of the huge variety of frozen or flake food food I put in)

This could be a longer term issue. Increase in food to the tank resulting in increased waste generated and an increased bioload could cause additional stress.

Were these two paired already? If it's a matter of adding two new anemonefish that were not previously paired, one WILL beat the crap out of the other. It's normal, although they should seek counseling. Is there anyone else in the tank that is beating up on the fish?

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
clismi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clismi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 10:04am

The two clownfish are the only fish in the tank.  The two clownfish are getting along very well.    Nothing is picking on the fish now, but it obviously got picked on previously by something.

I tried a huge variety of foods (in an effort to get the fish to eat) not a huge amount of food, but I will be careful not to overfeed.  Thanks!

So should I wait and hope things get better or should I do something?  I'm simply concerned whether the rapid breathing is something I should deal with (a parasite on the the little fellow's gills or something like that).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Clifford Smith
Logan, UT
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 10:09am
clismi, how old is your tank?  is anything else having issue ?(ie, corals, flora and fauna)  how long have you had the two new fish??  If its only been a couple of days and your fish is still alive, you might want to see about trading it in.
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 10:21am
Sorry to hear about the sick fish.

There are only a few LFS employees in Utah that I would trust to that decision and only in a pinch!

It's your tank, don't trust fish selection to anyone.

You know more than you realize. Trust your judgement.

How did the sick one look when you placed it in the aquarium?

It's entirely possible that the two were both okay at the LFS, but did not get along that first night.

I'd be sure that there is plenty of hiding space and plenty of macroalgae in the tank. Do you have both of these? Call me if you need some.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
clismi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clismi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 11:48am

The tank is about a year old and the coral is doing well.

The fish looks the same now as it did when I got it home Saturday afternoon.

There are lots of places for the fish to hide including a clump of macroalgae although the fish doesn't hide.  It just swims around with the other clownfish and they do little "shimmy dances" in front of each other.

I'll go home and check on the fish in a minute and let you know if anyting has changed.

Clifford Smith
Logan, UT
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by clismi clismi wrote:

The fish looks the same now as it did when I got it home Saturday afternoon.

Well, that narrows it down as to what could be wrong in your tank. I guess that now only time will tell. If it's active, I would just let it ride. As new as they are to the tank, it's normal IMO for fish not to eat much. I really don't think that there would be much you can do either way. Most of the time you can tell fin nips from a fungus, bacterial or parasitic infection. Just take a good look. If you see swelling, discoloration, sloughing, etc then you may be able to get rid of the infection.

My mated GSM's will often nipe eachother's fins during their lambadas, but it's usually the male who nips the female.

P.S.: Lesson learned I hope. Always inspect what you are buying. Always feel comfortable asking them to feed them to ensure that they eat before removing them from their tank. Always watch them swimming around and look for signs of illness. Just food for thought. Unless you're on a personal level with a store OWNER who you trust 100%, Mark is correct, don't allow a LFS to choose what's best for you.

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 4:05pm

It sounds like he's feeling kinda frisky, so I would take that as a good sign.  If you dipped him or treated, you might stress him out too much.  Breathing hard (well, if it's just because it's a pretty girl - that's okay!) makes me wonder.  I guess if it were me, I'd leave him be for tonight & keep an eye on him.  Guess that's not helpful, but I'll think a happy thought for him. 

Renee

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 4:41pm
try feeding some Cyclop-eeze its smaller and can help get him to eat...
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 6:34pm
If he's breathing hard and is listless and can be caught fairly easily I wouldn't hesitate to do a fresh water dip.  I personally feel that it has saved a couple of my fish.
clismi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clismi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 7:56am

The poor little fish died.    I lied to my daughter and told her the other fish was still in there somewhere hiding.  She is still looking for it so I better get the remaining clown fish a buddy soon.

Thanks for the help.   And yes, I did learn a lesson.  Actually, I learned it as soon as I got the fish home and I saw that it was in poor shape.  But thanks anyway to those of you that pointed out the lesson just to make sure I didn't miss it. 

Unfortunately my learning a lesson doesn't fix the dead fish.  .  I really hate it when animals die or I kill them!

Clifford Smith
Logan, UT
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 8:08am
Clifford, it happens unfortunately. Sorry for your loss. I wish I could say that I never had anything die, but I cannot as most if not all of us cannot say. But we learn, hopefully. Either way, that little guy was most likely doomed anyway. Maybe you made his last days enjoyable?
In Syracuse

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic