Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MH won't fire - questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jeffm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MH won't fire - questions
    Posted: February 26 2009 at 1:06am
I just got my MH set up. Used 250W SE mogul sockets. They've been firing up just fine the last couple days. I got "new" bulbs today. Suddenly the one side is having troubles. I don't think it is the bulb, because both work on the one side. And the one side is having troubles with the old bulbs now too.

At least I think. But I'm just learning about MH. I can see it spark then nothing.

One of my questions so I can tell if I'm really doing things right. If it doesn't fire - so nothing is hot - do you still need to wait about 15 minutes? If you switch bulbs, do you still need to wait? If it arcs but nothing, would it make sense to leave it on for a while? These bulb aren't brand new, but they only have about 120 hours. I guess "flickering" or on off can be part of a new bulb.

sorry for the run on of questions.

It just fired with an old bulb. BUT I still want to make sure the one side will work with the new bulb.
Jeff Martin
jeffm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 2:02am
Well I guess no one is up late tonight. But I think I just just answered my own questions. After waiting an hour they both just fired up. I think I was just changing things up and I wasn't being patient enough. I'm gathering the ballast needs time, whether it get hot or not. And you can't just put a fresh bulb in there.

Anyways, I'll have light tomorrow.
Jeff Martin
dmcrete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 3:26am
yes,,
 patience,, i am the same way,, but give it more time than required,, if the bulbs are tight then just give it time,, i kept tryin to fire mine , finally i left it alone for a while,, now it works great,, especially on a timer,

glad you got it workin,, nothing worse than lighting problems,, especially for the cost of them Da** halides
Have fun
DENNIS
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 8:11am
some halide ballasts have safetys... in case the power goes off they wait a certain amount of time before they will fire again to give the bulb time to cool down. so when you change bulbs essentially you need to unplug it and put the bulb in and than plug it back in. It will than take a bit to fire up as it thinks the power went out.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 9:03am
It looks like  you got your answer. I usually wait 30 minutes for them to cool down and have no problem.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic