Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why are my corals alwayes turning brown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:00pm
Honestly, it could be a bunch of factors. Lighting, nutrition, trace elements, etc. I've read a bunch of anecdotal information about doing this or that, using this bulb, swapping to T5's, using Zeovit, dosing different additives, etc. You name it, there's someone who's had success with it.

So, I'd first make sure that you have good water parameters. High nitrates are bad, but near zero nitrates could also be bad. How about phosphate levels? Do you have wild temperature, PH, or salinity swings? On the same note, how are alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels? Have you tried bigger or more frequent water changes? It sounds like you do plenty. In the case of zoanthids, are they getting enough iodine (anecdotal info there)?

Next, I'd look at lighting. Are the corals getting enough usable light? 20k bulbs usually have lower PAR than a decent 14k or a 10k bulb. You might want to try changing to a higher kelvin bulb- if so, try a Phoenix bulb first, and then maybe an AB or Megachrome 10k. Brown corals could mean that they're compensating for low light by allowing the zooxanthellae production to increase, slowly turning brown. Or, they're getting too much light and the same algae is going crazy in their cells. I doubt it's the latter with 20k bulbs, but I could always be wrong.

I thought that color pigmentation, etc. was a BIG topic and that Dana Riddle was really getting into this. As I remember, coloration of corals has also been linked to what depth they were growing at. I seem to remember that red corals usually came from depth, and so on.

The above post is just my opinion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:13pm
Here's an early image of my tank.
Here's a later image, showing the tank covered in algae but still with decent coloration. Note that the first picture is using an AB 10k bulb, and the latter is using Phoenix 14k bulbs. The point is that my water quality was not great in the last stage of the tank's life and coral coloration wasn't the best either.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:22pm
Here's a side shot of before the algae takeover. Coral coloration went downhill from there. It deteriorated until Anthony Calfo said that I needed more fish to pollute the tank, making more nitrates, and increasing coloration. Although I think there may have been some truth to that, my tank had algal issues and I was hesitant on adding more fish. I miss that tank...

Megan&Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megan&Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:31pm
sorry i am slaking on the tests my sister borowed my test kits and havn't gone over to get them yet but thanks for the replies i will get them asap

Red sea 650 and two 35g red sea

all for sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic