Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA reactor accessories ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA reactor accessories ???
    Posted: August 03 2004 at 9:35pm

ok i've broken-down (that didnt take long) and i'm going to buy a CA reactor, but i was wondering what prices for these items were locally and where you guys have gotten yours from .. here are the prices i found online.

M3 Deluxe CO2 Regulator with Solenoid $144.95
Brand New CO2 Tank - 10 lb - empty $89.95
Milwaukee pH Controller $89.95
Maxijet 1200 Powerhead $19.95

thanks!

smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 4:53am

Corey,

You'll be interested in this web page.  He built his own.

http://pages.videotron.com/lambertv/pages/

click on projects and then calcium reactor on the left side.

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 7:19am

Corey,

That's alot of cash. I spent about $250 total for my setup inclugin Ca Reactor. I paid $90 dor my Milwaukee regulator w/solenoid, nothing for my tank except the gas (got a deal), not running a controller (who needs it unless the power goes out all of the time) and my reactor came with a recirc pump.

I am feeding my reactor off of my main return line. I did a saddle valve which gives it a pressurized feed that will stop in case of a power outtage. This will also stop any return to the tank from the reactor and eliminates the need for the additional feed pump as well as one of the reasons in using a controller.

I am also returning reactor effluent to the air intake of my skimmer. This allowed me to run a single chamber reactor saving space and $. I would also suggest a 5lb tank instead of a 10 unless you're going to run a lot of gas. And call around for a used tank, they're out there. When you take it in to PraxAir or wherever, they'll just give you a new one anyway.

Just some thoughts. 

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 8:31am

Where did you find a plastic saddle valve?  And where did you end up getting your CO2 cylinder?

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 10:14am
corey,

Before you buy anything, you've got to come up and look at my reactor. Eric at Marine Aquatics built it and it ROCKS! The price was awesome too. I'll try and post some pics soon.
Also, I have a used regulator w/solenoid & bubble counter. It looks used, but it works. Probably save you $100.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 11:09am

thanks everyone... I think the reason i am willing to consider spending the ca$h is that i have gotten into the trap of not buying a good protein skimmer or getting crappy power heads or crushed coral in the past and having to replace them a couple of months later. So, I figured I’d do it right from the start w/ the CA reactor! But if i can "do it right" and not spend $600+ ... I'll be very happy!

shane: I think I need to come up and see you setup!

susan: thanks for the link! looks like a fun project, but honestly ... right now just don’t have the time for a big DIY thing. lol!

carl: thanks for the tip on the co2 tank ... i didn’t know that you get an old one when you take it in anyway. I’ll call around! any pointers of where to call ( anywhere from SL to Ogden )

ok ... now I’ll show my ignorance ... i thought that a ph controller could control the calcium reactor and that this helped maintain a constant ph. so, i guess i don’t understand when you say ... "not running a controller (who needs it unless the power goes out all of the time)". how does this relate?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 11:44am
A controller only turns the CO2 on or off.  It doesn't actually control pH.  It's just a switch that trips and closes the CO2 valve if the pH gets too low (whatever setpoint you desire).

Edited by jfinch
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 11:49am
The problem with no controller is that if the ph drops (for whatever reason...natural or mechanical) the co2 continues to flow and can cause a dangerous co2 level dropping the ph too low. Just my 2 cents, though.
www.captivereefing.com
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 12:25pm

sounds like the controller is a very nice safety ... esp if you have some cash invested in your SPS. ya?

what controllers do people use? pinpoint, milwaukee, etc?

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 12:31pm
If you are going to invest in a controller, consider getting a full-fledged monitor/controller. I have an Neptune Aquacontroller. It has more features than I'll ever use, and works great. 
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Where did you find a plastic saddle valve?  And where did you end up getting your CO2 cylinder?

Brass Baby, Brass! As long as the fluid keeps moving, it should be a LONG time before corrosion causes me to replace it. Plus, it's not exposed to atmosphere, so the effects of the O2 in the water should not increase the corrosion rate. And I got my CO2 tank from a friend in the business that had an extra lying about.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by reptoreef reptoreef wrote:

The problem with no controller is that if the ph drops (for whatever reason...natural or mechanical) the co2 continues to flow and can cause a dangerous co2 level dropping the ph too low. Just my 2 cents, though.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great addition. But I look at it as a longer-term accessory. I will eventually get one, but I just don't think that I need it right now.
In Syracuse

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 2:20pm

Carl, I would not use brass in contact with tank water.  IMO, you're asking for trouble.

Edited by jfinch
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 6:29am

Originally posted by coreyk coreyk wrote:

what controllers do people use? pinpoint, milwaukee, etc?

I use a Milwaukee MRC 122.  No complaints yet!! 

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 6:31am

Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Before you buy anything, you've got to come up and look at my reactor. Eric at Marine Aquatics built it and it ROCKS!

Any idea if he builds add-on chambers??

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 7:17am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Carl, I would not use brass in contact with tank water.  IMO, you're asking for trouble.

I live for it Jon. The brass won't leach anything harmful and I am interested to see how long it will take that valve to corrode to a point of failure. Were you thinking of any other concerns?
In Syracuse

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 7:59am

Why do you think the valve won't leach copper and zinc?

You would not be the first to have problems with a brass valve.  Just do a search for "brass valve" on reefcentral.  Here's someone who did what you're doing:  http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&thre adid=149531

Look for a stainless saddle valve (even that is a bit iffy... I wouldn't use it, but it might very well be ok)

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 11:02am

I can't believe that I forgot that brass alloy is 50% copper!

I was so concentrated on the ability of the valve to hold up to corrosion that I didn't even think of that!

Thanks for the reminder Jon... looks like I'm going valve shopping today!

In Syracuse

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 12:19pm

Got out of HD withoug spending over $3!  That is a new record!  

Here's how I will fix the problem. I will be removing that nasty old brass valve that intentionally wants to pollute my tank with nasty copper and stuff and replace it with a pvc "Saddle Tee". It is basically a saddle valve that stubs out to a 1/2" female. From there I will add a "1/4"x1/2"MIP. What this has is a 1/2" male with a 1/4" inserted compression fitting. Done! Total damage, $2.96.

These parts were found in the sprinkler section in case anyone needs them.

In Syracuse

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 12:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic